Question of Yamaha Amp repair . . .

DanSolo

Hi, I'm a bit new at posting here. I have a Yamaha A-S2100 (2nd owner) that has a broken Standby/On switch on the front left side. I did it accidentally the other night.

Does anyone have any idea how much it could cost to repair it? I've been quoted $75 for diagnostic to be applied toward ultimate repair/replacement. The repair business could not estimate for me how much it would cost to remove all of the switches and the front plate (if necessary).

I can still use the amp as is as the remainder of the switch has a groove that's practical for leverage.

But for resale, the switch would have to be repaired.

It's a nice amp, but I haven't been too impressed.

Contact Yamaha and see if the part is available. If so, get one and then repair shouldn't be too hard but might take 30-60 minutes, guessing since what you have broken is a switch cover (the lever) and I don't know how hard it is to get in that far into the unit or whether it is a handyman job or needs a tech. But the part has to be available or you will need to get a parts unit part.

For the vintage gear this is a remove the cover to get to the faceplate and remove then swap the part and put it back together. I got no idea how 21st century gear is made.

Contact Yamaha and see if the part is available. If so, get one and then repair shouldn't be too hard but might take 30-60 minutes, guessing since what you have broken is a switch cover (the lever) and I don't know how hard it is to get in that far into the unit or whether it is a handyman job or needs a tech. But the part has to be available or you will need to get a parts unit part.

For the vintage gear this is a remove the cover to get to the faceplate and remove then swap the part and put it back together. I got no idea how 21st century gear is made.

Well . . . I was just informed that the part is not available in the U.S. It has to be ordered from Japan. The final cost quoted is less than $190 minus the diagnostic fee = approximately $115. Labor is said to be intensive to remove the front cover off as well as all other switches. Also, the part won't arrive for 4 to 6 weeks. It could be possibly the first week of January before I could see my amp again!

With a unit that new, at least the part is available and you can get it fixed. Don't know the price of the part but if someone hasn't been into the unit before there is a learning curve on disassembly, parts swap and putting it back together. 190 is a couple hours total labor in some place and close to 4.5 hours in other places. At least your amp will be in good working order when they finish with it.

I'm hoping all will be well and close to new. It is a large, versatile and very impressive beauty of an "old school" amp. I'd like to keep it in use indefinitely. I was quoted that the price of the part was $12.

Well . . . it's back! I'm not sure if it's good as new, but the A-S2100 looks and functions as it it did when I acquired it. The power switch has been replaced and I am definitely more careful with it. It's plastic as all of the amp's other switches. I'll probably put the amp behind the glass door in the cabinet shelf instead of above the cabinet. Pic to be posted later on the "Show-off" thread.

Back
Top Bottom