Question on new AVR's.

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
[edit] I meant to put in the subject this deals with SACD playback.

I've been using a Denon 2802 quite happily since I got it in 2003 (yes, I'm cheap) and it's served me quite well. One thing I really, really like is that is has 5.1 analog inputs, which is exactly what my Denon 1941 (almost - no Blu-Ray) universal player has. IOW, it plays SACD and, I hear, DVD-Audio,

Now, the problem. We just moved and I finally got around to setting it up. Basically, all is well. The speakers are adjustable via the remote and LED display.

But, I lost the ability to get true 5.1 sound from my Sony Blu-Ray player. I get dead silence. So, I try to go into it's setup menu and the monitor out doesn't work!!!

I WANT my SACD. This is almost 15 years old and worth getting fixed and new AVR's with 5.1 analog inputs cost more than I really want to spend.

It's reported that Sony Blu-Ray players (I've got three) can output the DSD stream needed to pass SACD but I have no idea what to look for in an AVR to be able to utilize that. What should I be looking for?

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited:
DSD decoding.

May have to check the fine print to try to ascertain if it's direct or PCM conversion. In some cases it could be either, depending if you have a pure direct mode selected or a soundfield/surround mode selected.

Last edited:
The Marantz SR-5011 can do DSD over HDMI. It offers multichannel inputs too. The even cheaper Yamaha RX-A660 does HDMI DSD, but doesn't offer the multichannel input feature. But maybe that's not needed now, if HDMI works?

No issues with buying from A4L. I got my Yamaha RX-A3030 there. They're authorized for the gear they carry, and their product comes with a warranty too.

Good luck.

Mark, are you still running your Athenas?
Yes, but but due to space limitations I had to replace my AS-B2 surrounds with a pair of slightly smaller Missions, unknown model.

And, on a side note, The bedroom system is now a $25 "lepy" amp and a pair of old DCM CX-21's, purely for TV and internet radio sound. (gotta love smart TV's). It sounds way better than it has any right to.

Last edited:
The Marantz SR-5011 can do DSD over HDMI. It offers multichannel inputs too. The even cheaper Yamaha RX-A660 does HDMI DSD, but doesn't offer the multichannel input feature. But maybe that's not needed now, if HDMI works?

No issues with buying from A4L. I got my Yamaha RX-A3030 there. They're authorized for the gear they carry, and their product comes with a warranty too.

Good luck.
Thanks Great info! If a unit can do SACD over HDMI, then I don't need the analog inputs.

I've been buying (and recommending) A4L for over ten years. They are great.

Again, thanks for the great info.

Thanks Great info! If a unit can do SACD over HDMI, then I don't need the analog inputs.

Correct. I had a Pioneer Elite A/V receiver, that could do DSD/PCM over HDMI. I used my Play Station 3, and it worked great.

I've been buying (and recommending) A4L for over ten years. They are great.

Again, thanks for the great info.

I like A4L too. A great place to buy. Kind'a like the Anti-Crutchfield. Great deals, and I can afford it.

And you're welcome! Good luck.

Oh yea, probably quite a few other receivers on A4L that can do what you need. But, I just wanted to point out 2 fairly 'affordable' units. Search around for more. Plus, A4L has really good pricing on Blu-Ray players too...! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom