Question on storage of gear...

Kamakiri

The New Dynamic
I've got a couple receivers that I haven't used in a long time, but want to hang on to. What would be a good way to pack them away for use at a point in the future (without shipping them to macc's house :D )?

I was thinking of shrink wrapping them and putting some silica gel packs in the shrink wrap, but I'm not sure if moisture/comdensation would still be a problem. They will be stored in a cabinet in my audio room where heat/cold and moisture really aren't factors. Any thoughts?

Your storage methods should work fine.

Main thing is to keep moisture and dust out. If the temperature stays in the 60 - 80 degree range (and around 60% max. humidity), there should not be a moisture problem.

I store completed (reworked), gear in plastic bags. And ship them in the bag.

Just from the aspect of keeping moisture/dust out - how about one of those storage bags that you can suck the air out of using a domestic vacuum cleaner? Can't remember what they're called but seen them on tv being used for storing blankets, clothes etc.

Never tried them but they might just work. :)

Jack

The best way to store components is to have them warm and powered on. I offer that service free of charge :p:

Chris

P.S. More seriously, put them in a plastic bag, and then in a box you shouldn't have problems with humidity. You should also keep temperature between 60º - 80º.

As for shrink wrapping, it's a double edged sword, as ti unpack one would tend to use a knifa, and can sctatch :eek: a nice receiver.

Chris

The plastic bag will be fine in a constant 60-80 temperature setting. (no condensation)

Temperature change can cause condesation, OR in the case of your windows in your house, the temperature DIFFERENCE, between the inside and outside, can cause condensation on the glass. (Unless you use insulated glass which lessens the temp difference at the two panes of glass.)

But as I said, if the temp stays in the 60-80 range there will be no condensation.

Exactly. I was thinking of the winters you all have up there, and the temp. changes that come with the switching on and off of heaters and such.

Winters do get, um, rough here, but the temp rarely goes below 0 deg F

House stays nice and warm though :)

Back
Top Bottom