Question-Owners of Dodge Journey and Honda CV-R

jhtstone

StarShine 10/23/2014
This is geared toward the current or former owners of each of the vehicles listed in the title.

I am in the market for a used 2014 or 2015. After much deliberation I have narrowed my choices down to the 2 vehicles. The year may vary depending on price and mileage but these two will fit the bill for what I am looking for.

Each model has it's strengths and weaknesses for my needs. In the used market, you make your choice. I am currently temporarily driving a 2017 Journey. It is a nice vehicle and ride with the 3.6L. I have tested a CR-V EX with the standard 2.4L and the vehicle exceeded my expectations.

I wish to do my own basic maintenance as far as brakes, struts, spark plug and air filter changes, etc. A radiator change or something similar has also been considered to be a DIY job in the past. I do not intend to do major repairs myself. Most of my driving is my daily commute of 30 miles, 2 lane blacktop and 40 miles of freeway for a total of 70 miles. 4 months of the year is in the Michigan winter so AWD or selected 4 wheel drive is a requirement.

Based on the above, for those of you who have experience with one or both of the above vehicles, what did you find you liked or loathed about each vehicle? At this stage, I am all about a comfortable, quiet, trouble-free drive to work and home.

Thank-you for your input.

Hard to argue with the reliability of Honda. My Son drives a CR-V and loves it. His is older with a VTech engine. Excellent mileage and impressive pickup when needed.

He says the flexibility of configuring seats to carry bulky cargo is fantastic. There's nothing flashy about the interior, but it wears well and is well organized. A passenger sitting in the center back seat can stretch his legs out between the two front seats, which is a rare but nice touch.

For long term DIY ability, consider what other cars use the same components. Honda seems to be good about that so parts should be readily available for a long time.

Thank-you dcmfan for your input.

The search continues. Selection is limited when time is limited but we are seeking out and test driving what is available and weighing the pros and cons. The V6 is the advantage of the Journey. Most all of my driving is non-stop two lane and freeway which helps on the gas mileage. The V6 is much more relaxed than the 4 cylinder of the Honda. Both have issues with the transmission, the Honda more so. The Dodge is pretty good but a little odd at times. These are simply not cars and are not going to drive and ride like one. If I was shopping for a car, selection and performance would be no problem.

Any one else that has or does own either of these vehicles please chime in. I would like to hear what you do, and particularly, what you don't like.

I do have the option of Nissan Rouge, or Buick Encore. I have ruled them both out without driving them due to the 4 cylinder. I have tried a GMC. Did not like that for the engine and trans. I have tried a Mazda. Geared more toward sporty which is not what I am looking for.

Thank-you again.

If you'e open to suggestions I can also vouch for Subaru Outback or Forester SUV's.

I drive a 2014 Journey. Only issue I've had was sliding uncontrolled down a steep hill during and ice storm last February and crunched it.

Seems as every Subaru I've been around has problems near the 200,000 mark

Engine untouched?

Details are in the link I shared. Many are on the original motor.

Seems as every Subaru I've been around has problems near the 200,000 mark

200 k = about 20 years for me, so I'd be happy with that. FWIW I already went on record with praise for the CR-V and I'll tell my boy who owns one not to plan on needing new wheels for a good long while!

Long term you will hate the Journey as I know people that have had them! A Jeep Wrangler would be much better reliability wise plus great resale!

I currently own three CR-Vs. :D

The '97 has 290k on it, still runs, but the Michigan roads have pretty much guaranteed the rust rot has set in and things are a bit worn or beat up. Many years ago, I used it to pull a stump or two, and several bushes. Even with 245k+ on it, I drove it out to Maine and back, that first day running 19 hours nearly non-stop. It's never been back to the dealer, and it's had no major repairs. Mainly wear and age replacements at this point.

We now have two '09 EX-Ls, bought used with low mileage. If I'm not mistaken, the 2014 and 2015 CR-Vs still use the same K-series 2.4L engine, which debuted in the CR-V back in 2002. (Minor updates over the years, of course.) The same 2.4L was also used in Accords, and the Acura TSX, and I'm pretty sure an updated version of this is still in the base model CR-V LX for 2017. It might run high revs through the mountains, but I had no issues out west this summer climbing anything. The 2.4 has i-Vtec, so it pulls quite well throughout the revs. (The original VTEC only kicked in at higher RPMs, but it was like a turbo kicking in. ) Just be sure to maintain it well--stick with all genuine Honda fluids for ATF, coolant, and dual pump fluid for the rear differential, despite what "experts" on the Honda forums might say. I would also change out the ATF (drain and fill...never flush) sooner than the manual recommends--I'm planning on doing mine with every two or three oil changes or 30,000 miles.

I would almost say to go with the 2015/16 over the 2012/13/14, as it has had the "mid-cycle refresh" with a few changes to the looks, and minor tweaks and changes throughout. But budget and availability kind of win out over that. I could have gotten a 2010 or 2011, but wanted the EX-L trim level.

My neighbors have had two of those Journeys now. Their current Journey goes to the service bay a little too often.

I currently own three CR-Vs. :D

The '97 has 290k on it, still runs, but the Michigan roads have pretty much guaranteed the rust rot has set in and things are a bit worn or beat up. Many years ago, I used it to pull a stump or two, and several bushes. Even with 245k+ on it, I drove it out to Maine and back, that first day running 19 hours nearly non-stop. It's never been back to the dealer, and it's had no major repairs. Mainly wear and age replacements at this point.

We now have two '09 EX-Ls, bought used with low mileage. If I'm not mistaken, the 2014 and 2015 CR-Vs still use the same K-series 2.4L engine, which debuted in the CR-V back in 2002. (Minor updates over the years, of course.) The same 2.4L was also used in Accords, and the Acura TSX, and I'm pretty sure an updated version of this is still in the base model CR-V LX for 2017. It might run high revs through the mountains, but I had no issues out west this summer climbing anything. The 2.4 has i-Vtec, so it pulls quite well throughout the revs. (The original VTEC only kicked in at higher RPMs, but it was like a turbo kicking in. ) Just be sure to maintain it well--stick with all genuine Honda fluids for ATF, coolant, and dual pump fluid for the rear differential, despite what "experts" on the Honda forums might say. I would also change out the ATF (drain and fill...never flush) sooner than the manual recommends--I'm planning on doing mine with every two or three oil changes or 30,000 miles.

I would almost say to go with the 2015/16 over the 2012/13/14, as it has had the "mid-cycle refresh" with a few changes to the looks, and minor tweaks and changes throughout. But budget and availability kind of win out over that. I could have gotten a 2010 or 2011, but wanted the EX-L trim level.

My neighbors have had two of those Journeys now. Their current Journey goes to the service bay a little too often.

As an Element owner we share the same engine, drivetrain, and every other part (besides the shell). I attest to everything Wildcat mentioned, especially using only Honda fluids (particularly the Honda dual pump). The 4WD system in these cars is a simplistic engineering marvel. All mechanical, if front wheels spin faster than the rears it opens a flood gate which causes the rear diff to kick in like a sump pump. Once traction is regained, the gate closes and you're back to 2WD for economy. No fancy electronic stability or other crap that can break. I've tried to get my Honda to lose traction on the iciest roads and couldn't. BTW, my last major cost at the dealership was clutch fluid, oil/filter change, air filter, and 4 brand new Yokohama tires w/alignment and it came out to $522 (with TIRES!). Can't beat that value with a stick.

The 4WD system in these cars is a simplistic engineering marvel. All mechanical, if front wheels spin faster than the rears it opens a flood gate which causes the rear diff to kick in like a sump pump. Once traction is regained, the gate closes and you're back to 2WD for economy.
It's simple, and reliable. :) The 3rd gen CR-V adds the VSA (vehicle stability assist) system, but it still uses a similar type of rear differential. Acura's SH-AWD of course is superior, but way more complex; this simple hydraulic system actually has roots way back in those old Civic wagons from the 80s that had AWD. It's easy to tell when the dual pump fluid needs changing, as you'll get a howl from the rear, or a strange "scrubbing" effect, when going in reverse and making a sharp turn (or even in the forward direction with a sharp turn). I think the spec is that they engage after half a second of front wheel slippage, and that is exactly how my '97 operates. My '09 seems to do it faster. (I think the 3rd gen CR-Vs and the later Elements had the faster engagement.)

The only caveats with the system? It needs to be towed on a flatbed. (Or, there is a way to tow it behind an RV with all four wheels on the ground, but there are special instructions for that.) And, all four tires need to be the same size, so you can't have one pair be worn down and the other brand new, for instance. Ignoring either one will cause the system to overheat and damage it. This is not an issue, of course, with a two-wheel drive system, or if the driveshaft is removed from the all-wheel drive (which is actually very simple to do).

I still like those Elements. They would make for a great "fun" car.

BTW, there used to be a really nice owners' forum for CR-V, Pilot, etc., but the site operator sort of let it lapse and it's gone now. But some of us CR-V owners still keep in touch. In fact, met some friends of mine who now live in Arizona who I met through that forum. There is a CR-V Owner's Club forum, but it is run by one of those Internet conglomerates and full of pesky advertising. And it is not as active as it used to be either. But still, it is a good way to read up on the various models. I have used it to trouble shoot a "fuel cap" issue on my '09 (turns out it was one of the evap solenoids or something--a quick and cheap fix). The other defunct forum had a ton of DIY posts and videos, and it was instrumental in keeping my '97 going for so long. An incredible amount of information was lost when that site went dark.

We have a 2013 CR-V. I really like it, a lot. I'd go for another of the same year too. I THINK the 2014's went CVT and I wouldn't have one of those if you gave it to me. My daughters 2013 Accord (bought the same day we got our CR-V) had one (a CVT that is) and it was/is a BORING transmission to drive. I know it has its advantages, but I still like my 5-spd auto. I don't think most CR-V owners get up into the upper rev ranges either as you can drive around all day and not see 3k rpm. I like to take mine up into the 5k+ rpm range when getting on a freeway and boy does it sing at those rpm's.

I drove a 2017 Civic EX-T (turbo) with a CVT and had no issues. It does take getting used to, but Honda's CVTs are tuned more to shift like having "gears" as opposed to having the rubberband effect they were known for. When I punched the gas in that Civic on I-15 through Salt Lake City, it shot up to 90 mph with no effort whatsoever. The CVT always had the knack of giving the engine the correct "gear" ratio and it pulled strongly. I took it out onto Antelope Island on some of those hills, and it handled them all nicely. Would I still prefer an old school automatic? Sure. But I had no complaints about the CVT I drove either. Or I should say, I could have gotten into a bit of trouble had I kept it longer. :D

Mmmm...speaking of Hondas, just a thought - might consider the even beefier Ridgeline pickup. (1st Gen). As per above comments on CRVs, but AWD, much sturdier, and heavier, seats 5 in comfort, trunk in bed. 1st Gen was put together by a unique honda team. Ridgeline Owners Club is still active as all get out (helped by - totally different - Gen2 that came out last year). 300k mi examples are being reported there commonly now. Mine is 12yrs old and still runs/looks like new, and no significant issues at all...best put together vehicle I've ever owned.
No idea on current used prices of the last Gen 1s (2013?), but shoudn't be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom