Question re 1964-1969 Zenith Consoles & Value

rmcalhany

Howdy. New here looking to complete a mid century modern study with a vintage stereo console. I've seen the following models listed (which all appear to be nearly identical except for year). Can someone help me determine the difference between them?

ML2670
MM2670
MN2670
MNT2670
X960
Y960
YT960
Z960

I am pretty sure the ML = 64, MM = 65 and MN = 66. X = 67. Y = 68 and Z = 69. T denotes R2R.

I've hard that the 2670 is the same as the 960s. But other than that one random statement, cannot determine whether there were any differences in this console from 1964-1969.

Can anyone let me know how this console changed during those years?

Also, what is a reasonable value for one of these? How about in average condition? Mint condition (cabinet only)? Restored working condition? (stereo only)? Mint (cabinet and restored stereo)?

I ask because I've been searching and haven't seen actual prices on them. I've seen people asking $1500 for a mint cabinet (not restored stereo) which seems high.

Thanks

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Robert and welcome to AK!

Now don't take this as fact, but I don't believe that the 26xx series is the same as the 960's. AFAIK, the 26xx was a step down from the TOTL 960's. AK member orthophonic could likely give the definitive answer on that.

As for value, I've seen asking prices all over the place. As a console collector myself, the Zenith 960's are one of the few solid state units that I would consider owning. I recently had a YT960 that I gave away due to it needing more work than I was willing (or had time) to give it. If I could find a '67-'69 (X/Y/Z-960) with the R2R option in very good condition, I would likely pay a bit over $500 for it. For me, it's just really not worth any more than that. They are a statement piece for their time and are really well done for what they are. However, I seriously doubt that they will appreciate in value as would a Fisher President or Clairtone Project G.

Here's the YT960 that I had:

imgp00092n.jpg

imgp0003tb.jpg

imgp0001wi.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Well.........as you know value is relative to each relationship between buyer, seller, and item.

The top of the line Zeniths in the mid century cabinets are collectable as far as consoles go and sound pretty darn good.

I just bought a mint one owner Z960 for 150 and the seller was happy to get it out of his garage and to find a good home for it.

I've seen plenty of ads like these in my research of the piece.

WANTED 1960s Zenith console stereo (Rancho Mirage)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-05-19, 7:59AM PDT
Reply to: sqpdd-2976774853@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in purchasing Zenith console stereos from the mid 1960's with the Danish modern style cabinets. See pictures below. I am most interested in the large cabinets with the following model numbers:

ML2670
MM2670
MN2670
MNT2670
X960
Y960
YT960
Z960

The model number is stamped on the backside of the unit on the masonite board with air holes in it. I am especially interested in any of these with 8-track, cassette, or reel-to-reel tape options.

I would also consider other Zenith models for parts. So don't throw it away until you call me. I am interested whether they work or not. These machines are not terribly valuable so if you think it is worth a lot of money, I probably won't be interested. Thank you for your time.

I like how he says they aren't terribly valuable, whatever that means. Ha.

These ads are often in FL which interestingly is also the location of:

http://furnishmevintage.com/stereos/vintage-danish-style-zenith-x930-record-player-console/

Who presumably sells mid century consoles for a pretty penny albeit after putting a good amount or work / rehab into them.

I'm not really saying anything other than that there are buyers out there who will pay a good deal for these pieces and there are also people who would be glad to give them away to make space for a giant flat screen.

Also......based on the pics i've seen it looks to me like their are cosmetic differences between the 2670 and 960 including: changes in the style of the legs and a slight redesign in the face of the tuner / preamp controls.
mark

Console prices may be the widest, wildest, and least-objective hifi prices I've ever seen. Maybe because people either love them or hate them, so you hate both "hating" prices and "loving" prices out there?

SS consoles are worth what someone will pay, as are any other consoles. Unfortunately, people pay the least for SS consoles and most end up in the dump.
AFIIC there are only a handful of any consoles worth more than $125 and they are all tube models. So are the one's worth $125 or less.

If you get more that $50 for a Solid State Console, Hold on to the money like grim death. If you pay more for the same, same goes.

So now you've joined AK and found out that the cabinet with a radio and stacker isn't worth a tank of gas and isnt going to pay for your vacation. What now?

Stay awhile and enjoy the scenery.

I'm a bit more optomistic about your console's value but as others have stated it's about finding the right buyer. Solid state consoles as a whole are not worth much money but the 960 is not a typical ss console. It is considered by many to be the best sounding and prettiest of the breed.

I've seen mention of people paying upwards of 500 for nice 960's but it sounds like you don't have much time. I wouldn't let mine go for any less than 500.

Good luck!

I'm a bit more optomistic about your console's value but as others have stated it's about finding the right buyer. Solid state consoles as a whole are not worth much money but the 960 is not a typical ss console. It is considered by many to be the best sounding and prettiest of the breed.

I've seen mention of people paying upwards of 500 for nice 960's but it sounds like you don't have much time. I wouldn't let mine go for any less than 500.

Good luck!

You must really love that thing, if you wouldn't take less than $500 for it!

Greetings: I found this old threat and wondering if someone can help me identify the model number of this zenith. It's not quite like ones I've seen before, with the turntable on the left. Thanks.
01717_hNG9Psuc3U9_600x450.jpg 00w0w_2R5H7dgLTwM_600x450.jpg . It's

Hi Robert and welcome to AK!

Now don't take this as fact, but I don't believe that the 26xx series is the same as the 960's. AFAIK, the 26xx was a step down from the TOTL 960's. AK member orthophonic could likely give the definitive answer on that.

As for value, I've seen asking prices all over the place. As a console collector myself, the Zenith 960's are one of the few solid state units that I would consider owning. I recently had a YT960 that I gave away due to it needing more work than I was willing (or had time) to give it. If I could find a '67-'69 (X/Y/Z-960) with the R2R option in very good condition, I would likely pay a bit over $500 for it. For me, it's just really not worth any more than that. They are a statement piece for their time and are really well done for what they are. However, I seriously doubt that they will appreciate in value as would a Fisher President or Clairtone Project G.

Here's the YT960 that I had:

imgp00092n.jpg

imgp0003tb.jpg

imgp0001wi.jpg

Dave
15560303264316850144199011649351.jpg

Attachments

• 15560303975644690247698688406160.jpg
    15560303975644690247698688406160.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 8
I have an MM 2670. Someone who I consider an expert on vintage audio gear mentioned it’s worth $1000 working perfectly. However, mine does not, and he also mentioned it’s an absolute headache to work on. I’ve got a hum, grounding issues, speakers are distorted... etc. It’d cost more to repair it than to sell it at full working condition. So for now, it’s just a nice piece of furniture :)

Not sure if what he says is accurate so anyone is welcome to correct me. Just what I’ve heard.

Back
Top Bottom