Question Reading DC on A Fluke 117 and Offset Issues w/ a Spec 4

zebulon1

Working on my own stuff. Finally
Subscriber
I'm having trouble setting the DC Balance (Offset) on both amp boards on a Spec 4.
Focusing on the power supply, I noticed a different reading between the plus and negative sides of the 68.0v regulators.
In Autorange, the positive 68v my Fluke reads in the tenths as 66.8v's but on the negative side, it reads 65.85, in hundreds. Why does this extra decimal point show on one reading and not the other?
In Manual range and it reads only in tenths. (00.0v's)

The balance wonders 100mV's up and down on both amps and I believe it's in the negative side of the regulated supply but having trouble isolating it. The positive is stable but the negative fluctuates as much as 0.05 volts and I can see it coincides with the wondering offset.
The PS has been rebuilt with new transistors, zeners, diodes and caps.

That's what I thought but it stays in the hundredths and doesn't round up.
I haven't found anything in the manual or google but the proper search questions elude me.

That's what I thought but it stays in the hundredths and doesn't round up.
I haven't found anything in the manual or google but the proper search questions elude me.
The zero( .80 ) may be considered insignificant and omitted in the display.

Good advice Avionic. I will in the morning.
Another note:
The issue is in the PS. I think.
Both amps offset move together and for the same amount. About .050mv's peak to peak.
I'm going to leave it. Consider it fixed.

The Spec 4 is operating and sounds great. No weird readings on the scope, set the limiters and connected it to the bench speakers.
The right meter is sluggish. Tied both meters together with jumpers, with the right gain full CCW and they both jump to the left channel simultaneously. So the meters are good and they cal'ed up using the SM. I have a feeling it's the TA7136P Op Amp.
I'll swap them out later and see if the sluggish problem goes to the left, for now I'll just listen for awhile.

Last edited:
Swapped the op amps TA7136, and replaced all the 2SC945's on the right meter circuit and it works. It must of been a bad 2sc945.
Bam!
Sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom