Questions about cleaning up a MA5100

MWP!

Howdy! One of the guys at work inherited a MA5100. The contacts on the rear of the unit are badly oxidized. What should he use to clean or treat the RCA jacks? Or, should he just replace them with new ones?

There's one other noted problem: When he uses the switch for "inverted stereo" only one channel plays. Any clues what to look for OR should he just send it in to Mac for an estimate & fix?

Thanks in advance for your replies & insight!
Happy Holidays!
Billy

Send it to Terry

I have a "new" 6100, and I wouldn't send it back to the factory even if I had $$$ to burn ( which I don't BTW), but I will be sending mine to Terry DeWick, as other's can attest to here, and after a few phone coversations with him, I really feel comfortable sending all my McIntosh gear to him as my collection grows.

Jim :thmbsp:

Terry really is the way to go for Mc repairs but i don't think its required on your buddies 5100. Can you or he clean a pot ?

The badly oxidized inputs can usually be cleaned up with a little eagle mag polish and then a quick shot of pro gold.

OK how about Wenol on the outer shells and progold on the inside, DeOxit on the switches, CaliLube in the pots, Turtle Wax on the chassis - heck we almost all know the drill...

MWP! said:
Howdy! One of the guys at work inherited a MA5100. The contacts on the rear of the unit are badly oxidized. What should he use to clean or treat the RCA jacks? Or, should he just replace them with new ones?

There's one other noted problem: When he uses the switch for "inverted stereo" only one channel plays. Any clues what to look for OR should he just send it in to Mac for an estimate & fix?

Thanks in advance for your replies & insight!
Happy Holidays!
Billy

The RCA jacks on the back of mine were very nasty. I used Brasso and paper towels and a nut driver. They now look like fine jewelry. Terry turned me onto that.

Those jacks are fine just like they are and unless they are really bad, don't change them. If you must change them Radio Shack's RCA's fit perfectly.

r

Back
Top Bottom