Questions about Fisher FM-1000 Tuner.

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by sruddy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sruddy

sruddy Well-Known Member

Hi all, Sorry I haven't been around much lately but I just picked up an FM-1000 and am having trouble finding certain info. I found a service manual on http://www.fisherconsoles.com/ but it's for serial number other that mine. See photo. Also I can't find any user manual and don't know what the terminal tie on the back panel does. The seller had it hooked it so it works, but I think I should go thru it. Anyone know how many were made. I was under the impression from the service manuals serial numbers that there were only 250 made but my serial number ends with an A, so seems like quite a few were made, not even considering how many of the FMR-1 are out there. Here are a few photo's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Steve; Disregard the letter on the end of the Serial. As nobody is sure what the he** it is, just forget about it. Your's is one of the 1st 500 out the door. As for the link on the back you could hook up a Field Strength meter(FSM) to the Screws (I imagine with the Jumper open). When not in use for a FSM, whether the jumper is closed or NOT is anyone's guess, except Dave. Check with him directly and ask him to comment in the thread.. Inquirng minds DEMAND Knowledge.

3. dcgillespie

dcgillespie Fisher SA-100 Clone Subscriber

That is one gorgeous Fisher! I know you'll enjoy it immensely!!

Regarding the External Field Strength Meter connections, the terminals should normally be shorted together, or the front panel tuning meter will not read correctly. When the terminals are used, the shorting strap is disconnected, and the terminals connected to a recording device (primary intention of the connections) so that stations could monitor their signal strength over time at a glance, but an external SS meter can be used as well. Such a meter should have a DC resistance of 2000Ω, and an inductance of 200 µH.

Good luck with your FM-1000!

Dave

4. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow!!! Very, very nice tuner. Congrats!!!

5. larryderouin

Thanks Dave. Another NUGGET of info for us.

6. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice FM1000! I would be happy to copy the user/owners manual I have that came with mine if interested. Just send me a message with your email.

7. sruddy

sruddy Well-Known Member

Hi Larry, Nice to see your still hanging out, and thanks as usual form the info! The service manual says for serial numbers 21001C-21250C. Based on your info would this mean the manual was for the 11001- 11250 units to leave the factory and why a specific manual for only 250 pieces?

Thanks Dave!

I'll pm you, Thanks very much!

I'm a little disappointed that the tuner won't fit in my FM-202-B cabinet. Here is were I was planning on putting it.

IMG_0891.jpeg

if I ever find a cabinet with a beveled edge I'll see if it looks ok here. If not I'm afraid it may not get much use until I find an X1000 or possible two 50A amps and a preamp. The likely hood of that happening at a cost I could afford is highly unlikely but you never know! When I came across the add for the tuner I figured I would be able to get it, but after 5-6 months the owner contacted me. After many emails, he decided to accept my offer because he wanted to sell to somebody who was going tom keep it, which I definitely will! It was his fathers who he said was an audiophile and he is not. He said it was in a console with a tape player and other stuff which is long gone.

8. vendo81

Very nice looking stereo! The Empire is a good match.

Yes the cabinet for the FM-1000 is larger than the standard cabinet that fits the X-202B or FM200B. It only fits the FM-1000 and X-1000, but the X-1000 has a different (raised) top screen so they actually fit only one model depending on the top screen. I used mine for a while with my X1000 (as they match) but now use it with a separate Fisher SA-100 amplifier and 400-CX2 preamp.

I received your message and I'll copy the manual tonight and email it to you :)

9. vendo81

Owners manual sent to your email Steve!
    I may have the correct service manual as well. I know there was more than one.

10. larryderouin

Fisher usually made their manuals for units in 10000 unit batches, but there were units manuals that covered a limited # of units (end of run units with major changes. As the FM-1000 was a semi limited unit (mainly for Broadcast replay or comparison of Broadscast quality), it appears that Fisher probably made the 1st 9900 (10001-19999) of one design and the last 250 or so with major upgrades. Dave might have a better idea on that. I would get all the manuals you can for it, and compare the manual(s) with your unit, using the one that matches the closest.

11. sruddy

sruddy Well-Known Member

I'm going to put a wanted in the forum here after I update my subscription. I haven't seen any cabinets like that come thru the online places and I have been monitoring for years. Let me know if you run across any.

I received it, thanks very much. I searched forever and only found one reprint for $75 :yikes:

12. sruddy

sruddy Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry, I figured you would be the one to know. I think of you as the Fisherpedia!

13. vendo81

Larry is the Fisherpedia :) I'll look in storage and see if I still have any of the large Fisher cabinets. I think I still have one missing it's top screen as I had 3 extra FM1000 parts units..

sruddy likes this.
  14. sruddy

sruddy Well-Known Member

It would be amazing if you had one. Please let me know!