Questions on Balance/Speaker Set Up on SX-434 Receiver

Strongbow26

Hello there,
I'm pretty new here and hope I can pose a question or two to you.
I recently bought a vintage Pioneer SX-434 Receiver and am really having some fun with it.

I am running into a couple of issues however.
I am not sure if the problem is with me or it : >

I have a pair of decent bookshelf speakers (PSB 400 ((100watts)) hooked up to it and they sound good. However, I'm very confused with the set up of things. When I change the speaker source knob, I am able to hear both speakers with the A+B selection, and able to hear the A and B Speaker if I change it to Speaker A or Speaker B. However, if I turn the Source Knob back to A+B Selection, and I tune the Balance Knob to the left (Speaker A) it sounds fine...but if I tune the Balance Knob to the right (Speaker B) no sound...

I am not certain if something is wrong with the receiver given its the same age as me, or...if I have the speakers set up wrong somehow. The thing that makes me wonder this, is there are two rows of speaker connections to accommodate two sets of speakers. I downloaded the manual and it shows a graphic of two speakers connecting on the top row, and a second of the bottom row... What I have found works for me is I have Speaker A (left) connected on the top row, and Speaker B (right) connected on the bottom row. When I connected both speakers to the top row as it appeared to show in the manual, there is no sound out of speaker B at all...The way I have set it up only seems to give me issues when I move the Balance knob...

I bought this receiver online from an older couple on a Craigslist type set , and think it's pretty decent considering its age, and like wise the speakers from a respectable seeming fellow for 40 (no white vans), so I don't have the world invested in this set up by any means. Although you may laugh, I purchased some cheap 14 gauge speaker wire at the Home Depot to hook it all up but it seems to have done the trick.

So - do you think I have an issue with set up, or something else? I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts especially if you own or have used this receiver. If the consensus is a problem with the receiver, can anyone recommend a technician or individual in the Greater Toronto Area?

Thanks very much!

I think your confused or maybe it is me. You seem to have a set or 2 speakers.

Your system can handle 2 sets of speakers or 4 speakers. A is one set B is another. So use your speakers R and L on either A or B. In order to run A and B at once you need 4 speakers.

Hi gkhashem,
I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't seem to be the case for me...
With the configuration attached I have sound through both speakers - except when I tune the balance knob...

Wether I connect them through the two posts at the top, or two at bottom, only one speaker has sound.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-02-23 at 9.21.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2017-02-23 at 9.21.06 PM.png
    657 KB · Views: 29
In the photo you're showing, you have both speakers connected to the left channel: One in Speaker A left channel and one in Speaker B left channel.
Reconnect the cable in the lower right to the A bank right channel (upper left). Then set your speaker selector to Speakers A.

The correct set up is both on A or both on B.
If it doesn't work then you have a bad speaker in put.
In the pic you have both speakers connected to the left inputs.
That is why the balance knob will only work to the left.

And you should clean up the ends of the speaker wires and at the speakers if they look the same. The way they are you are running the risk of causing a short and that is likely to damage your receiver.

The advice you have been given is correct.

Do you have this issue with all sources such as the AM and or the FM radio?

What audio source did you use for your test?

The correct set up is both on A or both on B.
If it doesn't work then you have a bad speaker in put.
In the pic you have both speakers connected to the left inputs.
That is why the balance knob will only work to the left.
If it's a bad speaker input then is that something that can be easily fixed?
Thanks

And you should clean up the ends of the speaker wires and at the speakers if they look the same. The way they are you are running the risk of causing a short and that is likely to damage your receiver.

The advice you have been given is correct.

Do you have this issue with all sources such as the AM and or the FM radio?

What audio source did you use for your test?
all sources...

All advice is correct and I had your description correct after looking at your photo. Both on A or B pick one then your balance should work unless you have an issue.

is the Mono Switch pushed in or out? Clean this switch with DeOXIT (D-5) and finish with Faderlube (F-5).
Twist the ends of the speaker leads tightly and solder them to keep the loose ends tight. CLEAN ALL SWITCHES AND POT's with DeOxit. Multiple applications maybe needed.

Its the same wether the Mono switch is in or out.
are you suggesting to clean all external switches with the cleaner? Sorry I am a complete newbie.

just wanted to update this. It was just a just a blown fuse. It sounds great now. Appreciate everyone's assistance - and forgive the basic questions - just learning here!

The spkr fuses were my next lead. The fuses on the 434 ARE your protection circuit. These MUST be FAST or Standard Blo fuses. And MUST BE 3A or less. NO MORE THAN 3A. I use 2.5A in mine, mainly because I don't crank it above 2, and it keeps me from getting rambunctious with it. This was the 1st and only receiver/amp I bought new and paid full price for so I'm gonna keep from blowing it up. They rarely blow due to increased volumes, but they do blow Tape a pkg of fuses to the backof the 434 and you'll be set, probably for life.

Back
Top Bottom