Questions setting up a new receiver.

Yes sir you are correct. Both @the skipper and myself have upgraded from an older unit which mine didn't pass though without turning on the unit and having to select the source. Something I didn't want to have to do at the time, so ... I ended up wiring both HDMI and RGB +toslink then selecting the source though the TV. This allowed me to watch a DVD without having to turn on the Receiver. Worked fine for me. This new unit (very Similar to the Skippers), seemed to be auto switching the source in the receiver once I inserted a DVD into the player without having to turn the unit on. My comment about ARC was actually thinking out loud wondering if the receiver did that because the receiver sensed the source though the audio portion of ARC from the TV. It was all new to me to be honest. Read the manual? ... why that's unheard of, that would lessen the discovery (humor).
I think it's more HDMI related as opposed to an ARC issue. I found, on one of the sub menus on my Sony 3700 Blu-Ray player. an option under the HDMI section to disable this "feature".

OK, I'm as happy as a sea gull with a french fry with this new receiver. It does everything I could have ever wanted, and well, I love HDMI and ARC.

I think this receiver, and HDMI, is smarter than I thought.

Normally, ever since I found that pass thru does exactly what I wanted, I've had the TV speakers turned off. I thought that I would have to go into the Vizio/Audio/Speakers menu option to use then when I availed myself of that option.

Now, I could be wrong but it seems that the system realizes the receiver is out of the picture and it turns on the TV's internal speakers. This is downright spooky.

This could be the Greenhook Ginsmiths gin & tonic speaking but, either way, I'll get back with verification.

Last edited:
Heh, smiling for you Skipper. Its a hell of a machine in'it? Thing that got me was one day I had the receiver on and accidentally used the Universal Remote which I never programmed for use with the Yamaha, to turn up the amp, and it did. I was like .. what! .... how hell did that happen? Not ever looking a gift horse in the mouth, I actually looked at the receiver and smiled at it. As I mentioned earlier I purchased a new phone and the Yamaha app didn't work. Resetting the Receiver I was then able to get the apps to work again. One of the things that concerned me was that after factory resetting the unit it erased all my presets. Sadly after the fact I learned that the unit has a back up feature. I've yet to use it to restore, but after re-setting all the presets and YPAO settings, I then backed them all up so If for what ever reason I have to reset to factory again, All I'll need to do is recall the settings and bob's your uncle. That said, I recommend you do a back up on your amp as well.

If anyone is still interested, I'll share a few observations on this (Marantz SR-5011) unit.

I'm becoming more acquainted with this unit and, so far, love it. I don't regret buying it in. It's complex but does a lot.

First off, I love internet radio. Since moving from the NYC area I've been missing WQXR. Net radio allows me to access this at any time and it sounds great! I've also explored many various channels all over the country and world. That this particular tuner allows me to search by genre (among other criteria) is expanding my listening range.

One downside is that I uncovered a glitch in it's operation. Normally, when choosing the IR option on the remote, one is presented with six icons, Pandora and "internet radio" among them. Once one chooses a radio station, it becomes the de facto default. i.e, when you exit and re-enter IR, it goes back to that station. This is good but it allows you the option to "back out" to that six icon menu to choose another station.

For some reason it would not let me back out to change stations. After a call to Marantz Customer Support, who are excellent by the way, it turns out that sometimes it "freezes" and one must unplug the unit for a minute or so in order to unlock it. He said it has something to wo with a wireless connection. OK. Dunno what I did but I hope I don't do it again.

On a more positive note, I can read music from a memory stick.

I recently re-organized my computer music collection into folders bu genre, artist and album to load on a memory stick for my car. I figured why not see if this receiver's USB port will access it as well. Yep. It does. Now, I have about 6,000 songs on a miniature memory stick (memory chip?) inserted in the front panel and have access to all my digital music without leaving my chair.

memory stick.jpg

Heh ... I'm always interested Skipper. To it, I have a Note 8 phone with a USB adapter by which I use thumb drives for music as well. There are those times when I'm just interested in specific music that I don't normally carry on my phone, and with that said, the convenience on my Yamaha .. I'll just load it up on a thumb drive and use it on what ever device I'm interested in using at the time. Glad you figured out that Ir issue. Maddening when stuff happens you can't explain and have no idea why ... it happened. Glad it got resolved.

Along these lines, I recently picked up a Sony UBP-X800 4k player. It turns out that this player, connected to the Marantz via HDMI, will play my multi-channel SACD's.

I shoulda upgraded long ago but, then again, the longer one waits in this hobby, the more features one gets.

Kinda reviving a zombie thread but DA-YUM, this thing just keeps on surprising me. Since I last posted I've discovered that it can access, organize, and play music from a thumb drive. Towards that end, I've got about 5,000 songs on one of those mini drives plugged into the front of the receiver so K have virtually instant access to any song/album there.

Also, I just learned today that I can pair my wife's Iphone via bluetooth so she can listen to her workout music through real speakers instead of those abominations that the Iphone people call a speaker.

And, yes, it can play 5.1 SACD via HDMI from my 4k blu-ray player. [edit] Oops... I said that in my previous post from a few monthss ago.

Yeah, technology has certainly advanced since I bought it's predecessor, A Denon 2802, in 2003 or so.

Last edited:
Not yet, but all the music on my computer is on that flash drive that's plugged into the receiver. But, I'll explore the manual to see how that's done and then I'll have to see if my computers are capable of doing that.

Not yet, but all the music on my computer is on that flash drive that's plugged into the receiver. But, I'll explore the manual to see how that's done and then I'll have to see if my computers are capable of doing that.

Just a hint, if and when you do, you'll have to click on Streaming in Window's media in order to make the connection. I'm on the search for a cheap Laptop locally where I can set up just a small music server and have it next to my Receiver. I don't think I can ever live without this wifi connection. Although, I do use the thumb drive as your doing once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom