Quick fix for Pioneer laminated cases

Bill S

Thread Killer
I'm speaking of the plastic wood laminates found on the SX737, 838 and perhaps other receiver cases. I don't mean the cheap vinyl sticky contact paper found on models like the 680, 780 but the plastic stuff that doesn't really look much like wood.

I buffed out the case with some 600 then 1000 grit paper to take off the top coat and fill in the fake grain a bit for a smoother finish. Then I applied a light coat of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil with my hand to avoid any lint a cloth might leave. You don't need much - just dip in a finger and spread it around on the non-porous surface. This is how it looks with one, thin coat. The more coats, the smoother and glossier finish. I would imagine you could get it too look very glossy if you wanted. It's not a substitute for real wood or veneer but I think it looks better?? You could create matt finish by hitting it with some #0000 steel wool.
Pioneer case.jpg

Thanks Steve. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's better than stick on vinyl. I might try working up to several coats and see if I knock it down or leave the gloss. It is a fairly hard finish (gunstocks).

I personally would probably take down the gloss down with some #0000 steel wool as you've suggested because the high gloss makes the real fake wood look well... fake LOL.

I'm speaking of the plastic wood laminates found on the SX737, 838 and perhaps other receiver cases. I don't mean the cheap vinyl sticky contact paper found on models like the 680, 780 but the plastic stuff that doesn't really look much like wood.

I buffed out the case with some 600 then 1000 grit paper to take off the top coat and fill in the fake grain a bit for a smoother finish. Then I applied a light coat of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil with my hand to avoid any lint a cloth might leave. You don't need much - just dip in a finger and spread it around on the non-porous surface. This is how it looks with one, thin coat. The more coats, the smoother and glossier finish. I would imagine you could get it too look very glossy if you wanted. It's not a substitute for real wood or veneer but I think it looks better?? You could create matt finish by hitting it with some #0000 steel wool.
View attachment 1418999

Nice job and thanks for sharing this tip.

I'll also like to be the first to congratulate you on reaching 1000 posts.

:beerchug:

I personally would probably take down the gloss down with some #0000 steel wool as you've suggested because the high gloss makes the real fake wood look well... fake LOL.
True in most cases. I recall Polk offering some very high gloss rosewood finish on their LS50,70,90 line. I would think it might look like that. I'm going to drizzle a couple more coats on and see though. If I knock it down, I might start with something fine like 1000 grit or higher. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom