quick question about Altec Lansing 1689A mixer pre-amp

Rex Aeterna

Gigolo of Gigolos
i just have quick question if anyone knew anything on this? i'm mostly curious on the 600ohm xlr output connector is stereo or just plain mono? also curious what does ''links'' connector stands for? i asked the seller if he knew anything but knows nothing cause basically bought them in bulk form a Veterans Memorial Auditorium but says they're all working condition. it's only 50 bucks before shipping so it seems like a sweet deal to have something to play with.

i'm just curious on the balanced 600ohm XLR output and the ''Links'' connector. can i hook it up like an ordinarily pre-amp to one of my receivers? i plan on using headphones out the 600ohm output with a female 3-pin XLR to female 1/4'' TRS to it and use the mic inputs for some mics cause my main yamaha r-9 does not have mic inputs.

I'm not familiar with this exact unit, but a quick n' dirty google search appears to show a latter day simple mic pre, similar to what you'd see in an auditorium situation. The XLR output is mono, and the specs indicate that it also has an unbalanced output - I'd use that. Even at that, the output may be too hot to drive consumer gear without excessive distortion or noise (+4 DbU output, -10 DbV input). I don't see how you could drive headphones with it.

50 bucks seems a little high for this unit - You could pick up a 2x2 semi-pro ADC/DAC from Guitar Center or similar for about the same money, with XLR mic inputs, a headphone amp, etc. It would serve as an analog mic pre as well.

The link connector is designed to integrate the unit with other Altec gear, i.e. add more mic inputs to a larger mixer. It won't be of any use to you without mods.

Last edited:
Rex, when you see XLR's or 1/4 inch TRS connectors on pro gear, it's almost universally a mono scheme at each connector, and usually they're balanced signal lines, but not always. Inserts are one exception, but there's little point in discussing insert cables and connections in this forum. The main point here is that NONE of these should be confused with a "stereo" headphone plug, circuit, or signal level, yes they're physically the same plug but the similarities pretty much end there.

FWIW, if you're hard pressed to find an Altec that will do stereo, keep your eyes peeled for a 1692A/B, it's a mixer/pre similar to what you've been lookin at except it is stereo output, one of the very few they made.

Last edited:
alrighty then. thanks guys for the info. that's all i want to know. actually i been looking around and i actually found ART tube mic preamps for around the same price that's do the same or better job but people recommend replacing the tube and it'll sound much better.

i use nothing but older AKG 240 600ohm headphones so a 600ohm output on pro gear shouldn't be a problem or harm the headphones in any way i assume.

A 600 ohm line level output won't drive headphones. The number is just a measurement of output impedance (or input impedance, in the case of the headphones). I'm sure it won't harm the headphones, but it just won't work.

FWIW, if you're hard pressed to find an Altec that will do stereo, keep your eyes peeled for a 1692A/B, it's a mixer/pre similar to what you've been lookin at except it is stereo output, one of the very few they made.

I got a line on a 1692A for cheap. Do you think this would work OK for home use? Have you heard this preamp?
I recognize this is a pro mixer, and I would have to manage xlr, input levels, etc., but it could be fun to pair with my 9444B amps!

Back
Top Bottom