Quick Question

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Soundork, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Soundork

Soundork Active Member

A friend of mine has a Pioneer SX-50 with two problems.

1. Intermittent operation, you needed to bang it hard in order to start/continue working.
    2. Scratchy volume controls

I fixed both, the former just happened to be a connector whose board pins needed to be re-soldered. I treated the volume and balance potentiometer with DeOxit and no noise is present now.

In the process, I discovered another problem: One channel is louder than the other now. The remedy is to increase the volume by turning the knob halfway up. That is the point when both channels start to operate at the same volume. Then it operates fine, even if I lower the volume.

It has been a long day, my brain is shut and I really dont want to think about it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont think the problem was there before, but am not entirely sure.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Soundork

Please register to disable this ad.

2. redk9258

redk9258 Super Member

Is there a speaker protection relay? If so check him out.

MacNoob likes this.
  3. HunterMcD

HunterMcD Everything louder than everyone else Subscriber

I had an sx750 with a similar problem. One channel was way louder and until one channel finally quit. I decided to give recapping a try, thinking it would solve my problems. Before I did, I removed the upper and lower panels to have a look. On the bottom were a couple of glass fuses. One had fallen out of the clip. I pinched the clips together and reinstalled the fuse. It’s now been fine for over a year.

4. MacNoob

MacNoob dazed and confused

When my Sansui 7070 had those symptoms, it was the relay.

5. HunterMcD

HunterMcD Everything louder than everyone else Subscriber

redk9258 likes this.