Quick Review: Denon DN-300CR CD Recorder

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by SiliconTi, Nov 4, 2018.

1. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

After going through a few used CD recorders, I decided to just buy a new one. Only a few out there still. The Denon DN-330CR, the Teac CD-RW890MK2, the Tascam CD-A580 (CD Recorder and cassette deck in one) and the Tascam CD-RW900mkII. Of the 4, I liked the Denon the best not only on looks, but also price and the ability to use all its features without the remote control.

Pros:
    Can use any CD or CD-RW, not just the Music CDs

Do not need the remote - all functions are on the front panel

Easy to figure out without the manual next to you all the time

Digital and analog I/Os

Remote included

Nice display (OLED)

Looks good (to me)

Cons:

Very slow operating system. It take a long time to start up, button presses have a noticeable lag.

Track marking is too slow. If you hit the Rec button to make a new track, it can take 2-4 seconds to actually do it. Sometimes you miss the mark.

No track forward/back buttons, you need to use the knob.

Built-in DAC is not very good. ADC seems OK.

Not the best sound using it as a disc transport - my Meridian CD 500 is much better (at over 10x the price it had better be).

Overall, for less that $200 I can live with it’s flaws. I use if for digitizing LPs and tapes, and for my needs it works well enough.

I’d give it a 4/5 mostly because of the slow responsiveness.

pustelniakr and musichal like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. antennaguru

antennaguru New Member

How is your Denon DN-300CR working out for you? I am considering buying one and I am most concerned about its A>D listenability because I sometimes record CDs from LPs (for our cars, and for inclusion into my Brennan B2 music server). My 20 year old Philips 765 CD Recorder uses those special Digital Music CD-Rs and recently became very fussy about which ones it would accept, often giving me the dreaded "no-opc" display - meaning it couldn't recognize the Digital Music CD-R media or calibrate its laser. Philips and Sony CD-Rs stopped working altogether, and the Maxell CD-Rs are still working - but only when I can first get the 765 warm enough by leaving it turned on, and then hitting it for around 5 minutes with a heat gun on low - but that's getting tiresome.

The A>D in my 20 year old Philips 765 is really quite good sounding, and playing back the CD-R versus playing the original LP, on the same high end LP playback system it was recorded from, is close enough to the original to be very listenable on a revealing system (no not as good as the original record, but listenable). LP record surface noise is NOT accentuated and the CD-R recording is tonally correct compared to the original LP record. OTOH, I have tried recording directly into the A>D of my Brennan B2 music server via its analog "Aux Input" and that result didn't sound nearly as good as recording a CD-R on the Philips 765 and ripping the CD-R into the CD slot on the Brennan B2, because the Brennan's 20 year newer A>D is not nearly as good sounding as the Philips 765 A>D. The critical areas of difference are that the Brennan's A>D yields a recording that's leaner and more bright tonally which accentuates LP record surface noise - compared to playing the LP record and listening directly to it. This difference is not as noticeable on a system that is less revealing - the price we pay...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can offer!

3. antennaguru

antennaguru New Member

The new Denon is working fine, after figuring out a bunch of settings. I would say that its A>D has a little more detail and transparency than my previous Philips which was slightly more smoothly musical sounding.