Quick Tidal review - not so great

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by lokerola, Dec 29, 2018.

1. david1111

david1111 AK Subscriber Subscriber

@olson_jr
    Thanks for the correction. It's been 6-8 months since I was working with Tidal, and must of mixed up my info.
    But my sound quality issue stems from something else. Maybe it's jitter as Condorsat is suggesting.
    I'll have to tackle it one possible solution at a time, in a process of elimination. And, who knows ... it could be a couple
    of issues in my system acting together.
    I'll eventually figure it out cuz it's working well for a lot of listeners.

Dave

olson_jr likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

Had good luck with improving SQ using Jitterbugs, better luck using Uptone Audio USB REGEN's, then just eliminated USB.

Seems to me we are not usually comparing Apples to Apples when talking Tidal here.

david1111 likes this.
  3. GChief

GChief Not well known, super member or other silliness Subscriber

And I haven't had to do any of this with my USB. YMMV

david1111 likes this.
  4. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

I know, crazy right? I had One DAC I could hear no difference with either USB de-craper. Of course that was also the same Chord DAC that the company quit supplying USB drivers for (as OSX operating system changed) and it became useless to me without a USB to SPDIF converter.

david1111 and GChief like this.
  5. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

I've read about the USB Regen .. still using two AQ Jitterbugs on my Entry level HP Laptop .. upgraded the AQ Forest to Wireworld Starlight 7 USB. The AQ Evergreen RCAs to Morrow Audio MA1.1 .. then MA2 .. thought it sounded really good at that point .. then over the Holidays upgraded the Schiit Audio M2U DAC to a regular Bifrost and that really kicked it up another notch .. BAM!!. More detail, image, depth, left/right pan .. etc.

Have not switched out the AQ Jitterbugs since the addition of the Bifrost. Might try it at some point .. just for curiosity .. but I really like the sound of Tidal (streaming) at this point.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    sunvalleylaw, david1111 and GChief like this.