Quicksilver Audio releases 1st integrated amp

techguy0192

Listen to the whistle of the evenin' train
Subscriber
Quicksilver has finally introduced an integrated amplifier. Has anyone had an opportunity to audition one?

I have liked Quicksilver for a long time. Based on the price point, it looks like this new product could be a home run.

8-1024x693.jpg

integrated-amp-back-1024x693.jpg

Bandwidth: 10 Hz to 30 KHz
Gain: 24 db ± 1 db
Phase: Inverting yes
Input Impedance: 50 Kohm, 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Output Impedance: 0.8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Maximum Input: 30 volts RMS, 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Maximum Output: 20 watts RMS, 20 Hz - 20 KHz
Tube Complement: 2-12DW7, 8 6BQ5/EL84
Dimensions: 6"H, 10 1/2"D, 14"W
Front Panel: 5 1/2"H , 14"W
Weight: 35 lbs

$1995

I would also love to hear more about this integrated. Looks quite nice. I used to own QS gear in the past and still have the Full Function preamp. Great stuff.

The choice of 12DW7 tube seems odd to me vs. using the more common 12AX7 & 12AU7. I suppose it could be re-wired to give the same effect and allow greater tube choices.

It shows a Phono option on the Input selector but presumably that just selects that input channel, which would need an external phono amp feeding into it.

The choice of 12DW7 tube seems odd to me vs. using the more common 12AX7 & 12AU7.
What's odd about that?

The 7247 is an excellent valve and at least you don't have the hassle of trying to match 2 halves of an ECC83 which are like American TV - never the same colour!

There exists a compactron which is even better, with 2 AX + 1 AU but I suppose QS are so tradition bound, you would never see them using a TV tube would you, never mind the superb - "super tube" from Russia?

What's odd about that?

The 7247 is an excellent valve and at least you don't have the hassle of trying to match 2 halves of an ECC83 which are like American TV - never the same colour!

There exists a compactron which is even better, with 2 AX + 1 AU but I suppose QS are so tradition bound, you would never see them using a TV tube would you, never mind the superb - "super tube" from Russia?

I have allergy to small signal tubes. Better be Transmission Triodes.:)

I have allergy to small signal tubes. Better be Transmission Triodes.:)
well that's quite a crazy thing to say, considering it's exactly what's powering all those beautiful old Neumann and Gefell microphones you admire so much on those recordings.
Funny thing too, Studer didn't seem so allergic to them either. Maybe it's the way you are using them?

What's odd about that?

I explained why it is odd in my post and, yes, you still would want both channels to have equivalent performing tubes so the 7247 tubes would need to be matched.

What is with the snotty remarks about things American? Stay on topic and away from potentially inflammatory comments

I explained why it is odd in my post and, yes, you still would want both channels to have equivalent performing tubes so the 7247 tubes would need to be matched.

What is with the snotty remarks about things American? Stay on topic and away from potentially inflammatory comments

One "snotty " comment for you appears to be literally everything I do or say.
You really have a bee in your bonnet about me don't you dear??

We do things differently in Europe if you had't noticed, and NTSC is a well known joke in the EU from my pals in the EU parliament hi end all fibre video centre, laughing at the inferior US TV standard means NEVER THE SAME COLOUR,-compared with PAL which works out of the box.

Being as you are really quite humourless and it's your pastime to be so, let's say QS certainly know better what they are doiing than you do, and certainly it's total CODSWALLOP to be suggesting you need matched valves when you don't..
Exactly HOW MANY dB difference make to OP gain when you have NFB as well.
You will kindly tell me Mr expert TB?

Have you ever tried a Bogen MO200, they use 7247 in shock horror both channels and it works absolutely fine, especially if you make a few nice sweeping changes.
(QS if you recall copied quite a few Bogen amp features in the past in their amps)

So-If you knew anything about valve curves, and production spreads you would know it's in any case pointless,-so hey go on ban me from commenting on yet another thread, when I call you out on factual errors...cos it's another of your pastimes isn't it? :banana:

Last edited:
One "snotty " comment for you appears to be literally everything I do or say.
You really have a bee in your bonnet about me don't you dear??

We do things differently in Europe if you had't noticed, and NTSC is a well known joke in the EU from my pals in the EU parliament hi end all fibre video centre, laughing at the inferior US TV standard means NEVER THE SAME COLOUR,-compared with PAL which works out of the box.

Being as you are really quite humourless and it's your pastime to be so, let's say QS certainly know better what they are doiing than you do, and certainly it's total CODSWALLOP to be suggesting you need matched valves when you don't..
Exactly HOW MANY dB difference make to OP gain when you have NFB as well.
You will kindly tell me Mr expert TB?

Have you ever tried a Bogen MO200, they use 7247 in shock horror both channels and it works absolutely fine, especially if you make a few nice sweeping changes.
(QS if you recall copied quite a few Bogen amp features in the past in their amps)

So-If you knew anything about valve curves, and production spreads you would know it's in any case pointless,-so hey go on ban me from commenting on yet another thread, when I call you out on factual errors...cos it's another of your pastimes isn't it? :banana:
Ah, I have no intention of being drawn into another of your thread misdirects. Nice try but this thread is staying on topic

well that's quite a crazy thing to say, considering it's exactly what's powering all those beautiful old Neumann and Gefell microphones you admire so much on those recordings.
Funny thing too, Studer didn't seem so allergic to them either. Maybe it's the way you are using them?

Yep, it sounds quite crazy but if I make them, the small tubes will never be used. Can you imagine Neumann sounds 3x better without the small signal tubes?

Anyway, I have MO-200A that uses 12DW7 and a hoard of the other stuff that uses 12??7 types. I don't find them objectionable but it definitely sounds better with the bigger triodes.

Modern day 12DW7 sounds quite different from the old Mullard Version. It's why I dislike a lot of small signal tubes. The sound is all over the place.

If they all sounds very similar, there is no reason for a pair of the Mullard 10M 12AX7 demands near the 4 figure range.

On a side note, I think you are not here to make your agenda "US vs. U.K" sort of thing, right?

If it's so, you are obviously in the wrong forum. :D

Last edited:
Took a few years, but I got one. Have had it for just a couple of days, and not sure I'll get over the "wow!"
* All tube, musical.
* Rated at 20 watts both 8 ohms and 4 ohms, drives Focal Aria 906s just fine. The speakers are quoted at 89.5 dB sensitivity and 25-120 watts. I listen at moderate volume in 3.8 m x 5.26 m room, which means the knob is typically around 10:30 o'clock.
* The detail from this setup is excellent. The proportions of midrange, treble, and bass suit my taste.
* Solid construction, point-to-point, U.S. made, and a good price.
* It might save me a room heater this winter. ;)
http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/integrated-amplifier/

Back
Top Bottom