R.I.P Glen Campbell

If anything jogs my memory, it was that Glen Campbell was a first class guitarist. You can still find some of the videos where his playing was exquisite.
I recall Glen and George Benson doing an onstage performance in the 80's, I think it was the Grammys. Glen apparently held back during rehearsal and sound check, because Benson was clearly surprised at the licks Glen ripped off. Funny as hell, great stuff that guy.

I hate that he's gone, thankful he no longer is suffering, and grateful to have grown-up watching such a magnificent talent. RIP Glen

I know fellow AK'er Condersat already posted this song, but I really love this version on Austin City Limits.

a Member of the wrecking crew, and a respectable artist in his own right.

I have had memorial services for Michael Jackson, Glenn Frye, and Johnny Cash. These involve playing as much of their library as I have. Glen Campbell will also have that rite in this house. If you get the chance, watch the documentary, "I'll Be Me." It WILL move you.

Maybe some just don't know, but Glen put out his last studio album about two month ago. It's a really good record, maybe go pick one up.

And if you want to cry....

As a young man I remember the enjoyment me and my Dad got from watching the 1969 classic western "True Grit"
... stared John Wayne as Roster Cogburn & Glen Campbell as La Boeuf. Glen was a man of many talents.

th

Last edited:
This one is star filled and brings back memories.

The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour: Tim Conway, Three Dog Night, John Wayne | 1971/09/14

Two weeks ago My wife and I rented a lake house and one night we had two couples over for dinner, wine, and a sunset on the beach. Well the sunset was rained out.

We drank a lot of wine that night inside the house. I started a game by playing YouTube files of 60's and 70's hits from my phone to my blue tooth speaker. Guess the song, artist, label, year, what or who it reminds you of, etc. Great fun!!!

I played Wichita Lineman. It was only song that we all listened to quietly, each person lip syncing parts, reflecting.

R I P Glen

So sorry to hear of his passing but hope it finally relieved his suffering. Helped care for my mom with Alzheimers for 5 years. Brutal disease that robs the victim and family of their loved one. Give him his props for the courage he showed in confronting it, showing us how he persevered as a musician and made easily some of his best recordings. As a kid his playing on his Good time Hour TV show was one of the things that convinced me to get a guitar and teach myself to play. Years later, after discovering Django Reinhardt, I learned his recordings on radio did the same for Campbell who spent hours trying get play his stuff. It explained his facility and creativity as well as certain approaches he used in his playing. RIP.

"Adios", the title track from Glen's latest album, is so heartbreaking to listen to.....

Add to that this song was previously recorded by Linda Ronstadt (featuring background vocals from Brian Wilson) off of her "Cry like a Rainstorm Howl Like The Wind" album. Another legend silenced.

RIP Mr. Campbell

Back
Top Bottom