R. Lee Ermey Died

In case any more evidence were needed of his general awesomeness,
he reprised his FMJ role on the Simpsons, and it was a pretty good ep too.

9662604-3x2-940x627.png

"Colonel Hapablap" from "Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming" (Season 7)

Very surprised when I read it yesterday but had not seen him appear in awhile. He certainly defined the term icon. I can't think of FMJ without thinking about his work in it and he's not in the film long. I wish I could recall who said this but believe it was a director of producer during an interview. They were USMC and said his barracks scene was disorienting and for a moment they were right back there at attention. It's definitely one of the most riveting performances I can think of, RIP.

This caught me off guard. Hell, just plain damn. I see him several times a year, just rewatching Se7en.

It's been said many times and is worth repeating. Lee's performance in FMJ is totally immersive, totally enthralling.

It can't be more than 5 years or so when I discovered his performance was totally ad lib and how he got the role; initially as an adviser. Totally blows me away when I realized you could not do that unless you'd done that. I'd not seen the film in many years and watched it with new appreciation. Had forgotten many of the supporting roles such as Adam Baldwin as Animal Mother. I burst out laughing at this not funny scene as he is totally in character of Jayne Cobb from Firefly & Serenity @ 0:35 -

As an aside, Mississippi Burning is well worth a rewatch too. Besides great performances across the board, Ermey's is well wrought as the conflicted mayor of the town.

Iconic Marine R. Lee Ermey laid to rest in snowy Arlington National Cemetery

A crowd of nearly 100 family members, friends and admirers gathered in the snow for the burial of Ermey’s cremated remains. The funeral included full military honors: a Marine Corps bugler, folding of the American flag — presented by Sgt. Maj. of the Marine Corps Ronald Green — and the firing of three volleys by Marines from nearby Washington barracks at 8th and I. A bagpiper was also in attendance.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...to-rest-in-snowy-arlington-national-cemetery/

Had a few senior enlisted Marines as instructors when I was in the Navy. They were tough but I’m glad I didn’t have to face Gunny Hartmann.

An actor who didn't have to study his role... he had lived it.

A sergeant I would not have wanted in Boot, but would def appreciated him if I had...afterwards. Some know what I mean.

RIP RL

Q

A number of his (Lock and load?) shows were shot at a machine gun range real close to my home. And I do mean real close. Like I can hear and feel the explosions when the range is busy.
I had always hoped to see him there....but they always closed the place up when they shot video. :(

Back
Top Bottom