R2R test/allignment tape source?

ByrdWyngs

I posted here last week about just acquiring my first R2R deck (a Sony TC-755A) and although it is in very nice cosmetic condition it didn't sound very good at all. The channels were not even close to being balanced and there was a lot of background noise on both channels. After reading through the service manual I decided to fake most of the adjustments since I don't have the test/allignment tape necessary to do them properly. After going through the record and playback gain adjustments, meter adjustments, and the EQ adjustments several times with a variety of tapes I actually have it sounding pretty good now. I'm sure though that the adjustments are at best "just in the ballpark" from what they should be and I'd like to be able to do them properly.

There was coincidentally enough one of the proper Sony test tapes on eBay last week and I did bid on it, but got outbid by several other buyers and almost 50%. It ended up going for more than a lot of low to mid range R2R decks usually go for. Which leads me (finally) to my main question - where can I get a test tape (Sony or otherwise) that will let me do the adjustments and set the levels properly, without waiting who knows how long for another one to show up on eBay and then paying through the nose for it?

Heres a possible source for allignment tapes.
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/mrltapes.html
This site was suggested by another AK member, Pustelniakr, for relapping tape heads and I also noticed they sell alignment tapes.

At least going through them you get a new tape, and not one thats 30 years old. I'm guessing you probably would need the 7/12 ips 1/4" stereo tape at the top. Not cheap, but I've seen those old 30 year old test tapes go for almost as much on Ebay. The company looks reputable, and I'd probably use them if needed.

Take care, Mike

Last edited:
Today, AFAIK, virtually all alignment tapes are recorded in full-track format. I believe MRL do produce some exceptions (such as a 24 track 2" alignment tape recorded with 24 discrete tracks thereon) but using a full-track 1/4" alignment tape on your 755 won't be problematical. The MRL tapes are supplied with comprehensive instruction literature that will show you how to use a full-track tape on machines like yours.

I have dealt with JRF in the past. They're a good company. You'll most likely need the MRL tape number 21J204. It will be roughly $80 but look upon it as investing in a high precision calibration tool. Used properly, you can rest assured your deck will be RIGHT. Good luck...and keep us posted as to how things go with your Sony!

Yes, I agree with the rest: Buy the real thing from JFR. Most of these guys on the internet selling supposed allingment tapes are next to worthless.

I have personally wasted more than the cost of one of these tapes trying to get an allingment tape on the cheap. I even bought the real thing off of ebay (a NOS unit), only to have it stick to my heads like GLUE!!! It had the worst case of sticky-shed that I have ever encountered.

So save yourself time and frustation, and just the spend the $100 for the JFR tape in the first place. I sure wish that I had... :dammit:

Last edited:
The people I buy semiconductors from stock those tapes. Let me know what you need. They may have it.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom