R2R

sinnerboy

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I purchased a large volume of vintage HiFi equipment from an estate sale recently, I've been selling a lot here on AudioKarma as well as Reverb and eBay. Included in all the receivers, amplifiers and cassette decks were two R2R decks, a Teac A-3340S and an Akai GX630DB. I have never been around R2Rs in my past, and in preparing the two decks to sell, I had to learn a little about R2Rs to check them out. I was able to figure how to load the Akai with some reels that were included, and the thing plays beautifully (and curious music I can't quite place who it is, but I'm digging it!). So now I'll be damned if I'm not Jones'ing to keep one of the R2R now. So I'm not here to discuss the pros and cons of R2Rs, what I'm here for is to tap into the collective expertise. So here is my opportunity.
First, which deck to chose. I know the Teac is a 4 channel deck, which I don't see myself using since my vintage setup (Sansui AU-20000 and Thiel speakers) is 2 channel and will stay that way (room size, etc.). However, one of the components with the Teac that I discovered in a box is an AX-20 mix down panel, which I understand is to move from 4 track to 2 track. Ok, maybe the Teac is back in play? I also understand the Akai has glass-covered heads, which minimize (eliminate?) head wear, which would be a good thing.
Next, the deceased had a lot of noise filters, some NOS. Included in my purchase were a Teac AN-300, KLH Burwen AN-1201 and a KLH Burwen Transient Noise Reduction unit. The Teac AN-300 is a big unit, with 4 meters and a high cool factor. He also had 3 Teac Model 2 mixing boards with MB-20 meters, but I don't know that I would have a use for them.
My intent is to record music from albums and flac files. Why? Just for the heck of it. The reason I got into vintage a couple of years ago was because 1) listening to music on my mid-tier modern hifi equipment became essentially background noise, I longed to be engaged in listening like I used to be, and 2) I can now afford things I couldn't in the 70's as a teen. So rational behavior will not go very far with me....
So, throwing all these components up in the air, which should stick with me and which should I sell? i guess as it stands now, I would have to be sold on the Teac setup, just because the 4 channel things seems like something that would cause trouble since I'm a 2 channel guy. Comments?

You can use the TEAC 3340 4 track deck as a standard 1/4 track stereo deck without any mix down panels. You just use tracks 1 and 3 for left and right quarter track stereo use. When you flip the tape over you leave it set for 1 and 3 for side two left and right. They are both very good machines though and I'd have to agree with Joe, keep 'em both!

Tough call there. Being a gadget freak, having the AN300, meter bridges, patch panels, is very attractive. Would I use them frequently-not really. I mostly dub pre recorded music onto RTR, but I have the room, and get a kick out of having more toys. Heck, I have 3 cassette decks that are semi or fully non useable, but I like seeing them lit up on the shelf from time to time-I am a sick puppy......

I have that model Akai-it's a solid deck. I would keep both as well, but if you must pick, I would go with the Teac-just because of the matching accessories.

FWIW.

The cost of shipping RTR really bites hard.
Thus, you nearly need to give them away to move them.
Packing them for safe arrival is tricky. 50-60-70 pounds and you must protect the face area.

Bubble wrap and Styrofoam peanuts is not going to get it.
You need solid foam blocks and a very sturdy box.

Local pickup is a lot less hassle but limits your market a lot.

Just pointing out that they may only fetch $100 or less so you can keep that in mind as you decide what you may keep.

But, you may be near tape lover heaven and do well on a sale.

Luck.

Could you post a picture of the accessories? Love to see them.
Here are some of the various Teac and other components that were used with the R2Rs, mostly noise filters / reducers from KLH, SAE and Teac. He also had 3 mixing consoles (Teac Model 2 / 2A with meters).
Thanks for all the replies, I should be getting a power cord for the Teac this week. If I sell one of them, it will be local!

Attachments

• Photo Jul 09, 3 14 37 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 09, 3 14 37 PM.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo Jul 09, 4 47 01 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 09, 4 47 01 PM.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo Jul 09, 3 25 56 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 09, 3 25 56 PM.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180829_144033.jpg
    20180829_144033.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180829_145441.jpg
    20180829_145441.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 26
  • ax20.jpg
    ax20.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 26
  • pb64.jpg
    pb64.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 24
The AN 300 looks great. Thanks for the pictures. I have never seen one in person. The small console is a looker too.

Back
Top Bottom