Radio antenna advice - newly acquired, restored, Concept 6.5 :)

b1lf

Hello,

Lurked around here for awhile while checking out some vintage receiver info - and recently pulled the trigger on a recently serviced, pretty minty, Concept 6.5

I've had it for about a week now and it's completely blown me away. I was strongly considering a Marantz 2230, 4240, and 2270 - and wow I'm glad I chose this one. Context:

My roommate's gave us one of her (2) Technics 1200 mk2 vinyl record players. It needed a tiny bit of work so I got a Shure M97xe cartridge, ordered new high end RCA cables, fixed the arm riser, etc...

My roommate, who was the one buying all the other equipment, *really* wanted a vintage receiver. So we ended up with this Concept 6.5, that I saw very positive things about on here but quite frankly I didn't expect to be THIS good.

We have a full Yamaha receiver / Klipsch 5.1 setup in our living room for HT set up right next to our new stereo set up for music.

He has a Yamaha YAS-203 soundbar and sub in his bedroom... and I went bonkers for my bedroom HT and bought a Pioneer Elite SC-25 receiver with Klipsch RB51ii bookshelves, matching center, a Sunfire SDS10 dual driver sub, and Bose rears. So again, I thought going into this, that this living room stereo setup would essentially be a novelty in comparison. NOPE.

I suggested a screaming deal on KEF Q300 bookshelves (MFG refurbished) to pair with this Concept 6.5

Woooooooooooow. The amount off clear crisp sound this combo puts out is insane. The bass is incredible too!!! I'm running vinyl records, iPhone/MacBook music through RCA to stereo mini cable on the TAPE 1 input,.. and FM radio.

So that brings me to the point: it's hard to get the STEREO light to come on in FM radio. I'm using the crappy antenn that came with my Pioneer SC-25.

What's a good antenna to use? Most of the ones I'm finding on Amazon/etc don't specify the connection type. Here's a pic of the back and I'll make sure to upload plenty of drool worthy pics of the receiver and set up later.

Thanks in advance for he help!

Attachments

• IMG_5351.JPG
    IMG_5351.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 44
You can try a folded dipole, this uses twin lead wire and matches the 300 ohm input. You can check any electronic store, usually just a few dollars. This is a non amplified antenna, but it is directional with strongest reception 90 degrees from the plane of the "T". Looking at the "T" the vertical line is the lead in to the 300 ohm input, the horizontal "crossbar" is the antenna. Stretch out the crossbar and mount it as high as practical.

For over 50 years I have used an omnidirectional antenna that looks like a TV antenna with two crossbars that cross each other at 90 degrees. Got it for around 20 dollars from radio shack. Check Parts Express or Amazon or any local electronic shop for availability. It uses 75 ohm coax and mounts on the antenna input 75 ohms. My antenna is mounted up in my attic and works quite well. Outdoor mounting is possible, but you need to use an antenna mount.

I have been unimpressed with a number of small internal amplified antennas, but a simple rabbit ear antenna can work surprisingly well.

Hope this helps!

You can try a folded dipole, this uses twin lead wire and matches the 300 ohm input. You can check any electronic store, usually just a few dollars. This is a non amplified antenna, but it is directional with strongest reception 90 degrees from the plane of the "T". Looking at the "T" the vertical line is the lead in to the 300 ohm input, the horizontal "crossbar" is the antenna. Stretch out the crossbar and mount it as high as practical.

For over 50 years I have used an omnidirectional antenna that looks like a TV antenna with two crossbars that cross each other at 90 degrees. Got it for around 20 dollars from radio shack. Check Parts Express or Amazon or any local electronic shop for availability. It uses 75 ohm coax and mounts on the antenna input 75 ohms. My antenna is mounted up in my attic and works quite well. Outdoor mounting is possible, but you need to use an antenna mount.

I have been unimpressed with a number of small internal amplified antennas, but a simple rabbit ear antenna can work surprisingly well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick reply!

So I should get something like this? Haven't used something like that before..

And I did see a few coax ones out there but I have no idea if I can even set those up to my type of receiver, haha.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...le+antenna&dpPl=1&dpID=41M-p22b2ML&ref=plSrch

Yep that will work.

To hook up a 75 ohm coax type, you need a small Balun transformer. They can be used either direction - i.e. to adapt an old antenna to a new receiver or vice versa. Just get one with the right connections for what you are doing.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=balun+transformer&sprefix=balun+tran,electronics,156&crid=3HHOX1Z1SD944

I like old TV rabbit ears with a Balun if necessary for my receivers and tuners. I can turn them if I need to get a weak station, and they telescope away when not in use.

Yep that will work.

To hook up a 75 ohm coax type, you need a small Balun transformer. They can be used either direction - i.e. to adapt an old antenna to a new receiver or vice versa. Just get one with the right connections for what you are doing.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=balun+transformer&sprefix=balun+tran,electronics,156&crid=3HHOX1Z1SD944

I like old TV rabbit ears with a Balun if necessary for my receivers and tuners. I can turn them if I need to get a weak station, and they telescope away when not in use.

I like the idea of a Balun transformer and a higher quality antenna that has a coax connection...

Do you have any Amazon/eBay/website links for quality stuff?

Sometimes surprising how well those old rabbit ears TV antennas work for FM. Pick up a pair at about any thrift store for a dollar or two. Pretty directional, experiment with orientation and length for best reception.

Yep, that is exactly what I was talking about, and the rabbit ears can be used also with surprising results. A Balun changes a twin lead input to a single 75 ohm connector or can change a 75 ohm connector to 300 ohm, but all baluns experience some loss in signal strength, about 2 Db. Not a lot, but if you have a weak station it could be felt.

I got a big TV antenna I'm planning to put in my attic and aim at the TV stations a few miles to my south as a backup in case cable goes out. I suspect it will pull in some good FM from a station down that way I like to listen to, so I planned to put a splitter on it and feed FM to the stereos. I know all TV antennas are not necessarily great for FM but worth a shot. Just mentioning that in case you have the space to do it.

Another option is a flat rhombic made of 300 ohm flat lead. I stapled one up around the top of the wall in the living rm of my first apt and I was getting FM stereo from 100 miles away in the most sensitive direction. The 4 sides were probably 10-12 ft. long. It was pretty cool. Takes a couple resistors and some wire, and a place where no one cares if you have wire stapled on the ceiling. :p

Last edited:
OK cool - I'll check out antennas this weekend.

Unfortunately - I've been experiencing spotty performance from the right channel of the receiver. It cuts out, and has started doing so more frequently. I tested each input (Radio, Phono for vinyl, and "Tape" for aux/iPhone), and it's not the input.

I also switched and cables to test the speakers, and it's defiantly not the speakers - sound cuts out from the right channel.

To "kick start" the receiver to get working again, I need to hit the Mono button or sometimes Tone Defeat on and off a few times......

Any advice?

You might want to try and use deoxit on the volume control. If your unit needs servicing that could be around 100 dollars minimum, if you can find a tech. In that case perhaps you might want to get something new. For about $150 you could pick up a Yamaha RS202 receiver. It has decent power and a very clean sound plus built-in Bluetooth in addition to AM/FM. I have a RS201 which has the same performance without the Bluetooth. The only glitch is it doesn't have a phono input so you would need an external phono preamp.

You might want to try and use deoxit on the volume control. If your unit needs servicing that could be around 100 dollars minimum, if you can find a tech. In that case perhaps you might want to get something new. For about $150 you could pick up a Yamaha RS202 receiver. It has decent power and a very clean sound plus built-in Bluetooth in addition to AM/FM. I have a RS201 which has the same performance without the Bluetooth. The only glitch is it doesn't have a phono input so you would need an external phono preamp.

I already snagged DeoxIT in anticipation of restoring a Marantz 2270 that I ended up passing on... so I'll try that on the Volume control.

Any other areas to check while I'm in there?

I already snagged DeoxIT in anticipation of restoring a Marantz 2270 that I ended up passing on... so I'll try that on the Volume control.

Any other areas to check while I'm in there?
Apply the Deoxit to the stereo/mono switch, the tone defeat switch, balance switch too.

Apply the Deoxit to the stereo/mono switch, the tone defeat switch, balance switch too.

Will do, thanks.

And as for ditching this thing after owning it for 6 days and to purchase a Yamaha receiver as John suggested.... um, sorry but no way.

Tape monitor switch if it has one. That was the culprit on a Sherwood that I have had since '81. Nice receiver, sucky switches.

Visit the sticky thread in this General Audio Discussion about useing Deoxit. A lot of good info.
I clean all the switches to start. Then concentrate on likely culprit switches.

Visit the sticky thread in this General Audio Discussion about useing Deoxit. A lot of good info.
I clean all the switches to start. Then concentrate on likely culprit switches.

I already scanned and printed off the sticky! :)

But since I'm not getting any crackling or hissing when I adjust the knobs, I assumed my issue wasn't due to any build up on the pots themselves.

I'll re read the sticky, give the unit a solid cleaning myself (the unit was sold to me by a guy who fixes up vintage receivers and he told me it was cleaned and lubed).

UOTE="b1lf, post: 10486961, member: 259400"]I already scanned and printed off the sticky! :)

But since I'm not getting any crackling or hissing when I adjust the knobs, I assumed my issue wasn't due to any build up on the pots themselves.

I'll re read the sticky, give the unit a solid cleaning myself (the unit was sold to me by a guy who fixes up vintage receivers and he told me it was cleaned and lubed).[/QUOTE]

I'm no electrical tech. I use folded pipe cleaners with Deoxit on speaker binding posts and RCA connections also. Sometimes, for me I've found corroded speaker wire ends and intermittent RCA cable issues from being stressed or pulled on. Also RCA posts might not be contacting its mating connectors. These are things I can fix with knowledge I have.
I've also had a Marantz with an intermittent channel that took a few goarounds of all switches with deoxit. And it did not have any crackling from moving knobs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

So I should get something like this? Haven't used something like that before..

And I did see a few coax ones out there but I have no idea if I can even set those up to my type of receiver, haha.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...le+antenna&dpPl=1&dpID=41M-p22b2ML&ref=plSrch
Dunno if you've moved to a different subject but 75 ohm versions of that "T" antenna do exist. This obviates the need for a separate balun I picked up a few of these and they work great, considering what they are

https://www.amazon.com/MyCableMart-...492931452&sr=8-2&keywords=75+ohm+fm+T+antenna

FM T Antenna  75 ohm.jpg

Dunno if you've moved to a different subject but 75 ohm versions of that "T" antenna do exist. This obviates the need for a separate balun I picked up a few of these and they work great, considering what they are

https://www.amazon.com/MyCableMart-...492931452&sr=8-2&keywords=75+ohm+fm+T+antenna

View attachment 915110
Rather than obviate the need for a separate balun (transformer) to be employed, using a 75 ohm version would actually create the need to do so as this particular receiver lacks a 75 ohm antenna connection.

Back
Top Bottom