Radio host Art Bell dies at 72 in Pahrump home

Spent many a night listening to Art. Laughed my ass off at the monster shouter.

One of the reasons why I like to drive at night is because of nationwide radio shows like Am Coast to Coast. and as kid back in the 1960's if was Wolfman Jack. I always have the feeling while driving at night of being in a spaceship traveling through the stars with such radio shows playing a very easy thing to image in the expanses of Wyoming at night. .
These:
The Road Gang w/ Charlie Douglas WWL New Orleans.
The Truckin Bozo 700 WLW Cincinnati
Larry James WBT Charlotte

Yeah, I'm stuck in the 70's.

Occasional listener to Art. I used to like Larry King when he started in 1978 overnight. That was a good show.

I never got to listen to Bell, but would pick up Coast to Coast at night on my long drives. I heard he was much more entertaining than Noory. I also enjoyed Phil Hendrie on the same channel.
The beauty of the internet is that you can listen to many of those old programs.

Many a night, on long overnight drives, I’d listen to Art hold court from the Kingdom of Nye. R.I.P.

Back when I used to start my work day at 4 or 5 AM , Art was a great companion on the early commute. I think my favorite was the Philadelphia Experiment shows. RIP Mr. Bell.

Back when I used to start my work day at 4 or 5 AM , Art was a great companion on the early commute. I think my favorite was the Philadelphia Experiment shows. RIP Mr. Bell.
The John Titor time traveler series was part Jean Shephard, part Stephen King. Great stuff!!
Art had some rough going with the Australian backwards speech nutcase making his life difficult, and, iirc, his son being molested.

Otherwise, not a fan of George Noory and his fringe freaks. We do catch Ghost to Ghost when we can tho. The alternative, Beyond Reality on WWL N'awlins is our before bed listen nowadays. Otherwise, WGN Chicago.
So sorry Overnight America with John Grayson is gone from KMOX.

Last edited:
Of course, that is how statistics work. Some live longer, some die sooner, the 76 represents the culmination of all that.

I'm not sure living to "X" age necessarily provides any big assurance of living to any other age. My long time GF/SO's son, who I considered my stepson, died not quite two weeks ago in a freak incident at age 31.
Of course, that is how statistics work. Some live longer, some die sooner, the 76 represents the culmination of all that.

I'm not sure living to "X" age necessarily provides any big assurance of living to any other age. My long time GF/SO's son, who I considered my stepson, died not quite two weeks ago in a freak incident at age 31.

I`m sorry to hear of your GF/SO`s & your recent loss, whoru99..

My sincere condolences Sir.

Kind regards, Bill Ferris

I heard him a few times on shortwave talking to other 'hams'. He sounded like a regular guy you'd like to have as a neighbor. Besides that, I listened to many of his shows that many would dismiss as tin foil stuff... and much of it was, but not all of it. He used to have great guests on like Malachi Martin, others that were well known scholars and experts in their fields as well as, in my opinion, nut cases like remote viewers and such... as well as hours with the likes of Gordon Lightfoot, Willie Nelson, Nancy Sinatra, etc., where people could call in and chat with them. The neat thing about Art's show is he took callers unscreened and I think it added to the popularity and growth of his immensely. He show took a dive after that affair with his son and that coach... reportedly his son ran off with that coach... weird happenings in Art Bells life at that time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom