Radio Paradise Lossless Streaming

Here's a post reply from the developer. I only have 2nd Gen dots so I can't test. I don't know about which older/newer devices he refers

Here are the SQ commands

Get the current stream bitrate / quality setting:
"Alexa ask Radio Paradise what's the bitrate"
"Alexa ask Radio Paradise what is the stream quality"

Change the stream bitrate / quality setting:
"Alexa ask Radio Paradise to change bitrate to { low, medium, high, maximum / ultra}"
"Alexa ask Radio Paradise to set stream quality to {low, medium, high, maximum / ultra}"

For FLAC (per link) spell it out or use the term "lossless".
Thanks for the info. At least I could change the bitrate to ultra from the default setting of medium.

As a side note, I haven’t listened to this service in a long time. Always liked it, but I ended up listening to MOG exclusively, so it got put to the side. Glad they are able to do FLAC...at least I can use it with AirPlay. Will probably use it more now, if only for the Echo skill...at ultra.

As a side note, I haven’t listened to this service in a long time. Always liked it, but I ended up listening to MOG exclusively, so it got put to the side.

Aye...radio done right.

Ostensibly lost and left behind within all the hubbub of algorithms and artist angst these days is the forgotten art of a DJ concocting keenly crafted playlists. It seems of late too few consider and appreciate what a monumental task and art-form it is to piece together sets of songs (24/7 mind you) that ebb & flow rhythmically and intelligently. Radio Paradise is a blessed anachronism if there ever was one.

IMO, Bill G remains as one of the best DJs left on the planet. Lucky for listeners he has the internet geek chops to keep the human touch craft alive, well, and leaps & bounds above the plethora of today’s robotic radio swill.

@chicks remarked he wished RP had a jazz channel. OK. But "channels" are the antithesis of RP's long standing mantra. While it's easy enough to become a jukebox yet then have to sell soap to pay for it, that's precisely what sent shivers up Bill's spine years ago. Hence, he does one thing and does it well; blending 5 decades and numerous genres into one channel. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
For my money, the best, most knowledgeable DJ is Ken Wiley, with his The Art of Jazz.

He's been doing a three hour show every Sunday for 30+ years. Knows jazz inside and out. A joy to listen to.

But to each his own. Most can't stand jazz. I can't stand most rock. But we all get along fine here.

Some cool slideshow pics for this track today...

index.php

index.php

:beatnik:

Thanks!!! I had never head (or heard of) Radio Paradise. But now I have.

I just set it up as a 320K AAC channel on my Raspberry Pi server running Volumio. Works like a champ and sounds great. I set it up by creating a new "Radio Paradise 320K" entry in "My Web Radios" and using the following URL for the stream:
http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com/aac-320

If you need other stream URLs for other bit rates, for different players or for Europe, you can find them here:
http://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php#name=Listen&file=links

Thanks again.

Radio Paradise is my 'go-to' streaming source for a great mix of new, old rock and many other genres. I send them $$ annually, 'cause I listen pretty frequently. I stream it at 192 AAC throughout the house via iTunes, but will be moving up to 320 aac with these links... Thanks!
They do a great job - my favorite rock-ish stream... ;-)

Last edited:
Got on my AppleTV 4 and it was listed in my apps because I put it on my phone. The AppleTV 4 app works with “lossless”. The photos that come on during the sounds look great on the larger screen.

The photos that come on during the sounds look great on the larger screen.
Ayeup. I've been using the slideshow via my roku for a few years now. Pretty dang innovative how he has it parse the metadata for song title and then scrape flicker for related hi-res images. :thumbsup:

I just have an ATV 3...but at least I can Airplay the FLAC feed.

Ayeup. I've been using the slideshow via my roku for a few years now. Pretty dang innovative how he has it parse the metadata for song title and then scrape flicker for related hi-res images. :thumbsup:

I just have an ATV 3...but at least I can Airplay the FLAC feed.
Yeah, seeing the art that is chosen is an added benefit to having a big screen attached to the stereo.

Thanks for the information on how it is done. I was wondering about that. Now I just need to find a song about schnauzers or mutts and see if they pull up any of my photos. :biggrin:

Allie and Obi by Derek, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom