Radiohead Records: Parlophone vs. Capitol Records Shootout

Greyson

If you're a fan of Radiohead and you collect music on vinyl, you're probably aware of the Parlophone vs. Capitol debate.

Parlophone is the original label on which the records Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief were released. All of these releases have since gone out of print, and in the case of their albums from the early to late 90's, they've been out of print for a while. In 2008, Capitol re-issued every Radiohead album made prior to In Rainbows on 180 gram vinyl as part of the "From the Capitol Vaults" series. The re-issues are still in print and much easier to come by than the Parlophone records which are harder to find and considerably more expensive.

So the question most people have is wether or not it's worth it to buy the more expensive Parlophone release, over the readily avilable Capitol re-issue. The answer in my opinion is yes, and below i'll explain why.

Let's start with the Jacket
The original Parlophone releases are pressed on standard 160 gram vinyl, while the newer Capitol re-issues are on 180 gram. The problem is, Capitol didn't make jackets sized for records of that thickness, so where the original records slid easily in and out of the jacket with their cardboard inner sleeves, the 180 gram re-issues barely fit into their covers, often warping the shape of the jacket when left in shrink wrapping for too long. It's not a nice feeling when you take the records out, either.

The Parlophone jacket is of notably better quality, it's also considerably thicker which allows the cardboard inner sleeves to slide in and out with no friction. Here's a comparison image I shot of O.K Computer, the Capitol re-issue is on top, the Parlophone release is on bottom.

computerjackets.PNG

An easy way to tell which is which from the outside (if the record happens to be sealed) is to look at the barcode on the back. The Parlophone release has "Printed in U.K" and other information indicated in the barcode, where the Capitol re-issue is blank. There is also a small Parlophone or Capitol trademark in the botton left corner of the jacket on the back. It's also worth pointing out that the linear notes include credits to Parlophone, all of which is just copied verbatim in the Capitol re-issue.

parlophonebarcode.png

capitolbarcode.png

So how do they sound?
Well the Parlophone release is better. Alright, alright, i'll elaborate.

The Parlophone release has a considerably blacker background, i'd go so far as to say it's near CD-quality in terms of background noise. It is an extremely quiet pressing, whereas the Capitol release has quite a bit more noise in the background and the lead-in groove. The Parlophone release has better quality control, all of the labels are perfectly centered and so is the spindle hole, I noticed some lateral wobbling on the Capitol.

I also noticed some odd distortion on certain songs which was not present in the Parlophone release. Let Down had audiable distortion during the introduction sequence when hitting high notes which was absent in the Parlophone release, it just sounds better. It's also worth noting that my copy of O.K Computer from Capitol had a manufacturing defect which made the entire first track of Side B unlistenable.

If you're a big fan of Radiohead and you want these albums on vinyl, spend a bit more and find a good copy of the original Parlophone release. Buying from Capitol will be a crapshoot as to wether you'll get a good copy or a dud, I purchased two seperate copies of Hail to the Thief from Capitol, both of which were warped, and one of which had a manufacturing defect as well as an off-centre spindle hole. If you buy the Capitol release, you'll just end up wanting something better.

Good info. Thanks for sharing. I have The Bends, Kid A, and Amnesiac on Capitol--you are right about the snug jackets. I haven't given them a 'critical' listen in a while, but I'll definitely keep my eye out for Parlophone releases in the future...

I have the 12" 45 of Karma Police on Capitol and its a perfect pressing and sounds great!

I picked up several of the 12" Capitol singles as well and they sound fantastic.

Maybe the LP's were pressed somewhere else?

Bill

I have copies of ok computer a Kid and Amnesiac and they don't sound that bad. I did a side by side of ok computer and and of course being an old pressing there was more surface noise on the parlophone. I bought all my copies in the past 2 years so I'm not sure if older re releases have not been so good but as long as you check your albums for defects you should be good as long as the masterin was good. Also it would be nice to own all parlophone pressings my In Rainbows repress is good but I'm sure its a different company.

Last edited:
Also there was a wee bit better in some points of the Parlopone to point out I may do a comparison again to see

Stumbled onto this thread and fyi, I picked up a new pressing of OK Computer a couple months ago. It is a Warner/Parlaophone pressing done at MPO in France and it sounds great!

What's cool about the 12" EPs from Capitol is they're all cut at 45rpm. They sound really good.

I was lucky to find a Parlaphone copy at my Local Record Store. I don't have the Capitol version, but I can't imagine it sounding as good (much less better) as the Parlaphone.
I've held the both (again, I have not heard the Capitol) and the thinner Jacket of the Capitol was already showing ring wear - almost like they weren't expecting the vinyl to be that thick. A clear oversight. I believe that this will cause it to "age" more quickly.

Last edited:
anyone have thoughts on the XL reissues? my friend recently gifted her Parlophone copy of Ok Computer, just curious.

Back
Top Bottom