Raining FISHER and FISHER Sanyo.....

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
I was out shopping this morning and stopped in at the local Goodwill. Today is 50% off OLD FARTS day. What the Hell, Why not go look. Buried amongst all the junk I spy a Turntable. Pull it out and find a non descript FISHER 2 spd from the 80's that was in bad shape and part of a 4 pcs set. It ws missing the tonearm weight, the headshell was literally destroyed, and it looked like shit. But the REST of the 4 pcs looked good even tho they are supposed to be BPC. CA-800 Integrated Amp, FM-600 AM/FM Digital Tuner, and a Cr124 cassette deck with Dolby and metal capable.

I found a pair of cheesy speakers (the only kind around here in the goodwills) and hooked it all together. All the components had their respective RCA Cables, and plugged into the Amp via proprietary power plugs. Fired it up and everything played quite good even tho some of the pots and switches need De-Oxit. So i looked at the price for the 4 pcs and the tag said $60.

I took them and the turntable up to the register and explained that I wasn't interested in the turntable as it was missing parts and the headshell was busted up and pretty much no chance of finding another. They took $20.00 off and then applied my 50% discount for OLD FARTS Day. $21.20 including Tax. Which really isn't bad for a working integrated, matching tuner, and cassette deck.

The CA-800 hails from 1983 and is reputed to be a fairly good 100W amp. Even for a Chip amp. Output's are a pair of STK-0080's. One of the guys here is doing or has finished a thread on overhauling one. Might be something to consider one of these days.

All 3 pieces need a lot of cleaning and pot/switch DeOxit. They actually sound quite decent on the NLA's and the SP2000's. A little bass shy, until you kick in the Loudness. Typical FISHER! about 80% of the bass you expect then when you hit the loudness you get 150% more than expected. And those BIG ASS METERS are just fun as hell to watch.

With and without flash.
100_5260.JPG

100_5261.JPG

Hmm.... that reminds me..... I need to start exercising my "old fart" privileges out there in the world. I mean, I am 65 after all...I... I keep forgetting....

Nice find Larry and a steal at that price. That's 20 cents a watt plus a free tuner and cassette deck!

That series of Fisher gear is not bad at all. Always looking for one of those amps for the garage or work room.
Nice find Larry and you earned your discount. :beerchug: Not too far behind you.

I don't normally like black faced gear (except for the 4 digit 5530,7730,9930 black faced series of PIONEER 535,737,939 receivers) but these just caught my eye. I've got a CA-871 with Discrete's in the basement. It does a credible job, but I HATE SLIDER EQ's built in instead of Bass & Treble controls. Now to decide what to do with them.....

This past summer, at a charity yard sale, I came across a ca-880 paired with a set of klipsch synergy b3's, big bookshelf speakers. As they weren't yet priced, I inquired, the man said "make offer". Ok, gimme time for a quick search online with my phone. To which he said, "how about $30? I say,"how about sold?" Long story short, the amp works fine, but puts out a lot of heat. Normal, or not, beats me. In storage it went. The speakers are currently hooked up to one of my 500c's & the sound is astounding -at least to me. The low end is beyond any expectations! So it proved,even a schmuck like me stumbles onto a find on occasion. And I thought the other guys got all the deals!:banana::D

STK pack based units run very warm to hot. But the funny thing is, Sanyo designed the things and the circuits to go with them for optimal operation. It looks like Sanyo and Sanyo/FISHER were the only two that used the original circuits and didn't modify them. PIONEER "optimized" the preamp/amp/protection circuits on their chip amps and have had massive amounts of failures in the STK-0050 series of amps. Look at all the SX-780's out there and of that number 75-80% of them have had at least 1 pair of packs replaced. I checked the CA-800 and it's got the original packs. Luckily my SX-790 (black dialed 780) still has it's original packs. I'm very thrifty with the 790 and ON TIME. Maybe 6-8 hours a year to keep the caps formed. And on headphones only. Until I get around to making the substitute PCB setup it's rotation days are limited.

I got a sa-404 technics receiver in that I gotta fix if I can get a stk 1050k pack for it. Hard to troubleshoot by comparing lt-rt.channel voltages if the damn thing won't even turn on, speaker protection -wise. Judging by 3 1/4-watt smoked resistors coming to or from it, I think the pack dead-shorted itself, it was running 2 sets of speakers at the time. I'll take discrete solid-state over these all day.
What are these abbreviations shorthand for:YMMV,IBAM? I keep seeing these in fisher forum & elsewhere. I figure BPC must be black plastic crap.:crazy:

IBAM = Individual BIAS ADJUSTMENT MODIFICATION.
IBBA = Individual BALANCE & BIAS ADJUSTMENT.
Both are developments of members on AK, and adopted by the FISHER community.

YMMV= Your Mileage may Vary.
SWMBO= She who must be Obeyed.
OP= Original Poster

Many thanx, Larry, for helping me tamp down my neophyte -ness on this site. So much to absorb, starting to learn about all these bits in my collection /hoard. :D

Have a Fisher CA-something rack system much like as described, the 5-CD changer needs belts, dual cassette deck needs a belt on the one side that was always used, forget the turntable, but the seperate AM/FM recvr component and the integrated 100/ch amp work just fine. Massive heat sink. Gives me a test system for speakers.

Anyway, several Youtube vids can be found on tuneups of this over-looked Japanese-made gear.

Back
Top Bottom