RamblinE is starting to think about a new car.

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
Some time in the latter part of the next 9-12 months anyway. I'm coming from a 95 Miata. Preferably off lease but new might be possible as well. I'd want to put down a large chunk then pay the principal off faster than the duration of the loan. Then probably keep the car ten years if I can help it. By next year I'll have been with my Miata for five years. So I think keeping one car is a manageable necessity.

The top contenders are:
Mazda MX5 soft top
Scion FR-S

I don't want to move away from rear wheel drive but if I wanted something more practice I've thought of that too. KIA seems to have the lowest cost of entry but Mazda has the lowest cost of ownership. That puts the Mazda 3 and the Mazda 6 at the head of the pack. I already know the prior is great to drive. The latter is a lot of car for $20k but I don't know if I want something that big.

Other contenders are the Honda Civic Si and the Ford Fiesta ST. I'd like to avoid the Europeans due to what seems like a higher cost of upkeep as they age. GM and Chrysler don't seem to offer any compelling sport compacts, which is essentially what I'm after. The Fiat 500 Abarth is compelling however its European, so there's possible cost to consider, which is why I'm not looking at Minis.

Any thoughts on the above mentioned models? Anything you think I'm forgetting? I'm looking for handling over power so a traditional American straight liner is not anything I'm interested in. Also looking to possibly even avoid forced induction for possible longevity sake.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Look at a used Mercedes Benz. surprisingly affordable, once you drive a car of that quality you will never go back.

Aren't some Euro mfgs. still doing "free maintenance"? That'll be a measurable savings, even if it's for only half your use period.

Umm... what's going to happen to the Miata? :)

Chip

I bought a 2014 Mazda6 back in May. It's a fabulous car that looks great. I get an honest 36 mpg on the road and ~30 mpg bombing around town. I got the lowest trim package in an effort to get a 6-speed manual tranny, yet it still comes with alloy wheels, low profile tires, auto-locks and windows, AC, AM/FM CD stereo (with USB). The only thing this package doesn't have is bluetooth and navigation. It's an absolute steal for less than $22K.

Look at a used Mercedes Benz. surprisingly affordable, once you drive a car of that quality you will never go back.

Right now a Mercedes seems like an indulgence. Having had two older American cars and one older Japanese car I can only imagine that wear and tear maintenance and repair on a Mercedes would be astronomical. My girlfriends old Saab 9-3 was nuts expensive to maintain. Kind of a blanket statement but that was one expensive to operate European car, why would a Mercedes cost less?

Further more a Mercedes/BMW/Caddilac/Audi just does not seem like the right kind of car for a sales rep/part time college student who has yet to finish his education or establish a permanent career.

I'm not adverse to a marque who makes great drivers cars but a luxury marque right now feels like too big of a jump for my current shoes.

Actually the maintenance is not too bad, and if you are looking to spend 20 K anyway, why not drive a 8 year old 80 K vehicle? My 2000 E-320 has been very reliable and is a real head turner. I was in luck and found one that looked like new. Paid $7300 for it a year ago. In my case it is a 2nd car I also drive my 2007 Camry in the winter. With a 20 K budget you could find one much newer.

Attachments

• IMG_0131wrs.jpg
    IMG_0131wrs.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 44
It seems silly grateful but the newer the better. A slew of my friends have bought two year old off lease cars and they might as well be, for all intents and purposes, new cars. Look like it, smell like, never break down. Come with a warranty. Its that level of reliability and worry free ownership for at least the next few years that's just as attractive to me as sporting driving. Having a head turner is less if a priority then having a car that I am always happy to get behind the wheel of, like my current Miata.

I bought a 2014 Mazda6 back in May. It's a fabulous car that looks great. I get an honest 36 mpg on the road and ~30 mpg bombing around town. I got the lowest trim package in an effort to get a 6-speed manual tranny, yet it still comes with alloy wheels, low profile tires, auto-locks and windows, AC, AM/FM CD stereo (with USB). The only thing this package doesn't have is bluetooth and navigation. It's an absolute steal for less than $22K.

I saw your thread finnbow. I'm glad you're still happy with the car. It'll be interesting to drive one and see if it shares ant family resemblance with my Miata like the smaller 3 does. How is the six speed? I often wish my car had a sixth gear.

I dunno it is pretty nice driving a world class automobile, but by all means suit yourself.

Not saying it's not a world class automobile. I know Mercedes is the benchmark of luxury cars. However coming from a sports car I'm looking for another sports car.

If practicality & reliability are priorities, I'd suggest sticking with Honda, Toyota or I suppose Scion...which is basically a Toyota product.

In all honesty, I do not think it necessary to spend $20K for good reliable transportation - especially if looking to economize on costs.

Increased complexity attends most any high end or luxury type vehicle - which often requires specialized (& expensive) labor with cost of parts usually in proportion. Insurance can also be dramatically higher depending on geographic location and the nature of such vehicles often results in being more susceptible to being targeted - particularly in major metro locales.

As a student, I strongly advise avoiding the incurrence of debt and buy with cash, if at all possible.

Last edited:
I saw your thread finnbow. I'm glad you're still happy with the car. It'll be interesting to drive one and see if it shares ant family resemblance with my Miata like the smaller 3 does. How is the six speed? I often wish my car had a sixth gear.

The 6-speed is excellent, as is the clutch (their 6-speed auto is also supposed to be great). I traded in a 2010 Mazda3 for the 2014 Mazda6. They're both great cars. I really liked the 2010 Mazda3, but found the ride a little rough due to its short wheelbase. The new 6 is considerably smoother and still quite sporty.

I understand that the new 3 is a little longer than the previous model and they've thereby smoothed out the short wheelbase choppiness. If sporty is your gig, I'd consider the Mazda3 outfitted with the 2.5L engine. 184 bhp in that small, light package should perform very nicely and still give you upwards of 40 mpg on the road. The 6 is certainly more comfortable, both in terms of road behavior and interior room, but the new 3 is an awesome car if it's big enough for you.

I sincerely believe (as do most auto writers, FWIW) that the Mazda3 and Mazda6 are now both best in class (in very competitive car classes), particularly if sportiness and driving fun come into the equation. For the price (particularly with lower trim packages), they're fantastic cars in terms of appearance, performance, and economy.

RamblinE, you are a big proponent of the Q701's, and your comments led to a purchase by me.

I'm rooting for the FRS, which is getting some serious consideration as my next set of wheels. Good looking, inspired by the Celica GTS I believe. I have a reliable boring car that is paid off, so please buy an FRS and hate it! You will save me some considerable coin. ;)

If practicality & reliability are priorities, I'd suggest sticking with Honda, Toyota or I suppose Scion...which is basically a Toyota product.

In all honesty, I do not think it necessary to spend $20K for good reliable transportation - especially if looking to economize on costs.

Increased complexity attends most any high end or luxury type vehicle - which often requires specialized (& expensive) labor with cost of parts usually in proportion. Insurance can also be dramatically higher depending on geographic location and the nature of such vehicles often results in being more susceptible to being targeted - particularly in major metro locales.

As a student, I strongly advise avoiding the incurrence of debt and buy with cash, if at all possible.

That's why I want to save a lot first before making a move. Then pay it off quicker than scheduled. One of my coworkers had done this with a Lincoln LS he bought brand new while working on the bachelors he just finished this past fall. Another coworker is doing this with an off lease Camry he bought last year and us six months ahead of the payment schedule while in his sophomore year getting a bachelors in environmental science. We can afford reasonable vehicles at this job which also provides tuition reimbursement that I will be eligible for on June 27th. Yes I am keeping track.

The 6-speed is excellent, as is the clutch (their 6-speed auto is also supposed to be great). I traded in a 2010 Mazda3 for the 2014 Mazda6. They're both great cars. I really liked the 2010 Mazda3, but found the ride a little rough due to its short wheelbase. The new 6 is considerably smoother and still quite sporty.

I understand that the new 3 is a little longer than the previous model and they've thereby smoothed out the short wheelbase choppiness. If sporty is your gig, I'd consider the Mazda3 outfitted with the 2.5L engine. 184 bhp in that small, light package should perform very nicely and still give you upwards of 40 mpg on the road. The 6 is certainly more comfortable, both in terms of road behavior and interior room, but the new 3 is an awesome car if it's big enough for you.

I sincerely believe (as do most auto writers, FWIW) that the Mazda3 and Mazda6 are now both best in class (in very competitive car classes), particularly if sportiness and driving fun come into the equation. For the price (particularly with lower trim packages), they're fantastic cars in terms of appearance, performance, and economy.

Yeah, the previous generation base 3 is a hoot to drive. Just as long as you have a manual tranny. I've driven both as a DD for friends. The one with the manual, on the way home from Philly one night practically invited me to have fun with it. And fun I had :)

That's why I want to save a lot first before making a move. Then pay it off quicker than scheduled. One of my coworkers had done this with a Lincoln LS he bought brand new while working on the bachelors he just finished this past fall....

Boy, how things have changed since I was in college.

Back in the day, many of us had to make do with stuff that most people would be too ashamed to use as chicken coops - let alone brand new Lincolns! :D:D

Sounds like you've already got a good handle on the situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Back
Top Bottom