RamblinE is starting to think about a new car.

My first new car didn't have a dead pedal and neither did my brothers. :D

My '07 VW GTI has one but I have the DSG transmission so it is kind of a waste but it is useful because I toss the car around so much. it helps to keep me in the seat :D

Tangential for sure but: After girlfriend and I watched this weeks Regular Car Reviews about the Toyota Prius she got to wondering what's the greenest car you can buy? Forbes and the other establishment ilk fielded list after list of hybrid this and EV that. However a website called Green Car Reports has been listing the greenest cars available for a few model years now and for 2015 the VW Golf took the top spot. Probably because of the EV option being one of the more "normal car" seeming EVs and the excellent performance put out by the TDI.

She likes her '13 Fiesta and its paid off but it's looking like her next car is going to be a VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that has ceased being a secret. What might be even more relevant is how well they do (or actually don't) pay off their own premium in fuel savings. I read this article way back in Motor Trend when I was a kid and the Second generation of the Prius was relatively new. MT put enough wheel time in on a Prius and a diesel Mercedes E class to be able to calculate real world fuel consumption numbers. After that they determined that the E class's fuel savings would pay off the premium paid for the diesel model within a couple of years. Three or four tops. My memory is hazy. The Prius on the other hand could take ten years plus to pay off its price premium in fuel savings alone.

My wifes 06 Altima had a 5 speed manual with 140000 miles and still worked perfectly when we sold it . WTH are you people doing to kill these clutches?

Dealer called early (been living last work day of PTO to the fullest before the weekend). They put a new clutch in and it still made the noise. Drive line manager was real quick to say that's what Chrysler told them to do to fix it. Next thing Chrysler told them to do is drop the tranny and start taking it apart. I'll probably hear from them again in the latter half of next week.

Good, so A) the clutch wasn't made and of cream corn and B) the previous owner probably wasn't using the clutch pedal as a foot rest. C) Based on previous experience I as a driver am probably good for another 100k before the next clutch.

What's really annoying me is the 500L. Touch screen infotainment is a distraction and just the shear size of the thing is annoying. Ironically it's still shorter than my mothers Elantra. The only pain point is that I want MY car. I also wasn't comfortable shooting up to Rhode Island this weekend in the dealers vehicle. Oh well, first world problems.

Got the car back on Friday. 24 days at the dealer. In that time they:

Dropped the transmission, took it apart and rebuilt every part associated with going backwards. They took the car out hence forth for a test drive where the rebuilt transmission exploded on them.

So they put in a new transmission and what do ya know! It works! Here's the main difference I heard between the two (as I like to back down the drive way when I get home so that in the morning I just need to pull out), when coasting backwards now in reverse with the clutch pedal depressed it still makes the RC car noise. Before it didn't, it just went "click-click-click-click". So that's reassuring.

Now at this point the worry is "OH DAMN. Did I buy a lemon?" But I'm several steps ahead of that. A few weeks ago I registered the vehicle on MOPAR's owner connect website and gained access to the car's entire service history since new. The previous owner did not visit the dealership for anything other than basic maintenance and state inspection. So, it's not a lemon. Looking forward to many thousands of fun, engaging miles to drive. 21K on the motor. 90 miles on the transmission and clutch. Lets do it up.

All through this experience the dealer and FCA customer service were just fine to deal with. The driveline manager himself owns a Fiat 500 Abarth, and with my own philosophy of "be the customer that you yourself want to deal with" I don't have any complaints about him, he was great. There was some out of pocket expense due to the clutch replacement and it no longer being covered under warranty. However it was not outside of my means and because the problem was never the clutch in the first place FCA is going to reimburse me. I just have to send them the paper work. I've been working AND doing take home finals. So, yeah, have to get to that.

The 500L they gave me as a rental, with a 6-spd manual, didn't cost me a penny. It's a nice car but man, it's reliability reputation is dubious as hell. Went out in a few outings with that thing filled to the brim. Girlfriend, me, best friend's fiance, their newborn and her rich aunt from LA. Even with a stroller in the back everybody fit and was comfortable. It's also a fairly upscale feeling vehicle. But it's not as raucous and engaging to drive as the regular 500 is. With the reputation of being one of the least reliable cars on the US market the 500L might be one to avoid after all. Excited to see how the made-in-Italy Fiat 500X crossover and it's plateform mate (also made in Italy) Jeep Renegade do in the reliability department.

Stewart, Check out the posting date on this thread. Ramblin has probably already bought a car (or two) since 2015. No worries, just a rookie mistake. I posted to a couple of old posts myself a time or two.

Stewart, Check out the posting date on this thread. Ramblin has probably already bought a car (or two) since 2015. No worries, just a rookie mistake. I posted to a couple of old posts myself a time or two.

Still have it actually. Not a great car, but it does what I need it to do. Since the transmission issue I’ve only encountered:
Bad shift linkage bushing (recall)
A bad wheel bearing
A stripped wheel hub (I assume from swapping out winter and summer wheels and tires every year)
The washer fluid reservoir is cracked
The passenger side power window needs a new regulator.

90k on it now. Cars are awful expensive. Might as well keep on driving it till the wheels fall off.

My philosophy: Never make payments on a vehicle. Buy what you can afford to pay cash for.
Plenty of reliable vehicles available for around 2K that you can easily learn how to maintain yourself.

A stripped wheel hub (I assume from swapping out winter and summer wheels and tires every year)

more likely someone at the tire place over-torquing it and ripping the threads out. Those things last essentially forever if properly torqued.

Back
Top Bottom