Ramblings about system goals, listening fatigue, diminishing returns

Or to save all that moving around just to try it, move your speaker out from the wall and the cabinet face parallel to the backs of the speakers
That was last nights late night exercise. They sit on plywood and I can walk them around on the tile floor. This put the speaker face 10 feet from my ears. Also removed the MachOnes. Maybe good speakers but not for me. It does sound better but I think some of that is a result of dropping the top speakers down after the Mach removal.
Yep, two changes at once. Bad procedure. So I push them back and start over.

Last edited:
I don't have silent opinions. When I have opinions -- which I prefer to call "immutable and indubitable truths" -- I express them noisily, and if that starts a ruckus or a few tender snowflakes melt in the onslaught, well...

Good.
Well I wouldn't question or ask you to change any of your truths.
It's 95% here today.

You can easily feel the vibrations from speaker cones on unused speakers. Anything that vibrates along with the active speakers has a negative effect on the sound.

I had no idea regarding this, so I am really screwed with 4 pairs of speakers in the wings not active. And simply shorting the binders stops them from vibrating?

I had no idea regarding this, so I am really screwed with 4 pairs of speakers in the wings not active. And simply shorting the binders stops them from vibrating?

Shorting the inputs will not eliminate all sympathetic vibrations. However, it will reduce their intensity. It's a free tweak. Give it a try. If you hear no difference you've lost nothing.

Someone pointed out in an earlier thread that the led lights on their non connected speakers were twinkling. The speaker is a motor. I guess the motor can be run in reverse. If you short them you apply the brakes, I think.

Makes sense. Thanks for the tip I will try it.
But, but ,but.....
They may be more to the story. What I want to know is. Since the led lights were blinking and we know the drivers were moving does that mean the damping material inside the speaker is acting as a room treatment? Or is the cone vibration just messing things up like other things in the room can.

So, please everyone, let's just try to see things from a viewpoint other than our own. We're not audio police. We're enthusiasts.

While I agree about all viewpoints being allowed a voice, there needs to be a way to counter viewpoints too. When someone comes on line saying that anything over 90 percent (of whatever, nirvana perhaps) will be diminishing returns, it says something. That those who seek out the best we can afford are a diminishing breed who still wants to pay for quality sound, diminishing returns be damned. Sadly most of the world has gotten on the diminishing returns bandwagon, as proof of Walmart's cheap sound systems flooding homes across the world, some even with legacy brand names.

This, being an audio site I think there needs to be some defense from the new status quo who says we are a bunch of money wasting fools if we stray from the flock and spend more than what is sensible on audio.

Alobar, you speak wisely, and I agree.

People say all sorts of stuff that is simply wrong. I go back and read some of my first posts here, and whoa......was I ever green, and wrong. Flatly embarrassing.

But, with patience from older, senior members, I learned. I didn't need to be chastised, ostracized, or marginalized. I finally learned.

Those that WILL eventually get it, like myself and many others, will get it. Those that won't, well....they wouldn't get it no matter what you'd tell them, however well-intentioned.

What's that saying??? "For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. Those who would not, no explanation would suffice."

Or something like that, lol.

At first look it would seem that the point of diminishing return is subjective, but it's not. Not to the person spending the money. They know what they want and what it's worth to them. They're budget is their business. I'm happy for them.

I go back and read some of my first posts here, and whoa......was I ever green, and wrong. Flatly embarrassing.
LMFAO.
How about a.....#Me Too

Oh and by the way, I don't look at any thread a wast or anything like that. Even if the OP seems off base, the side stuff is helping someone like quiet....:thumbsup:

LMFAO.
How about a.....#Me Too

Oh and by the way, I don't look at any thread a wast or anything like that. Even if the OP seems off base, the side stuff is helping someone like quiet....:thumbsup:
I wasn't going to say it but yes, I'm one to take advantage. And the more they spend the faster I learn.

LMFAO.
How about a.....#Me Too

Yes a good me too is definitely in order! I think I may have even mentioned something along the lines of diminishing returns.. :oops:

But! I have learned so much about audio in the past few years since joining AK! I have been playing this stuff since the early 70's but I never knew beans really. Now when I read about amazing systems and experience levels from fellow members I am just blown away! I wish I could hear some of these rigs I read about just to have more perspective but probably better I don't, lest I start down the rabbit hole again myself! I am happy with my audio lot in life, and so long as I remain inside my bubble of wilderness I can pretend even that I am in fact 90% there.. 90%? well we all know that is meaningless. It is more about how much your system makes you want to listen, and I really can get hooked in at night till my wife says its time to switch it off and watch TV..

But, but ,but.....
They may be more to the story. What I want to know is. Since the led lights were blinking and we know the drivers were moving does that mean the damping material inside the speaker is acting as a room treatment?
Not really.
Or is the cone vibration just messing things up like other things in the room can.
Yes, it's absorbing audio energy, particularly at the frequencies where the cone vibration is greatest.

Back
Top Bottom