Ramblings about system goals, listening fatigue, diminishing returns

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by corbin, May 10, 2018.

1. quiet

quiet AK Subscriber Subscriber

At first look it would seem that the point of diminishing return is subjective, but it's not. Not to the person spending the money. They know what they want and what it's worth to them. They're budget is their business. I'm happy for them.

OutlawSun, stish and 4-2-7 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

LMFAO.
    How about a.....#Me Too

Oh and by the way, I don't look at any thread a wast or anything like that. Even if the OP seems off base, the side stuff is helping someone like quiet....:thumbsup:

onwardjames likes this.
  3. quiet

I wasn't going to say it but yes, I'm one to take advantage. And the more they spend the faster I learn.

4. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

There is. You're employing it now...

Alobar likes this.
  5. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Yes a good me too is definitely in order! I think I may have even mentioned something along the lines of diminishing returns.. :oops:

But! I have learned so much about audio in the past few years since joining AK! I have been playing this stuff since the early 70's but I never knew beans really. Now when I read about amazing systems and experience levels from fellow members I am just blown away! I wish I could hear some of these rigs I read about just to have more perspective but probably better I don't, lest I start down the rabbit hole again myself! I am happy with my audio lot in life, and so long as I remain inside my bubble of wilderness I can pretend even that I am in fact 90% there.. 90%? well we all know that is meaningless. It is more about how much your system makes you want to listen, and I really can get hooked in at night till my wife says its time to switch it off and watch TV..

6. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Not really.
    Yes, it's absorbing audio energy, particularly at the frequencies where the cone vibration is greatest.

7. quiet

Well that's going to be a whole new detail to think about as I climb the ladder. It's not on the short list yet.

8. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

I feel this thread has self-corrected.

I love it when that happens. :beerchug::thumbsup:

9. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Now, if you were to remove the damping from the enclosure and hang it on the wall you'd get some absorption!

Which is what I do with three large gray DIY panels now hanging in the garage to reduce slap echo. And use three "nubby" Walmart doormats on the walls for diffusion.

[​IMG]

10. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Like that Miata, E-Stat! I have a '95, lovingly enjoyed, 190k, in brilliant black.

11. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Miatas are certainly nice, but that's a Honda S2000 with a similar vibe. Both are wonderfully communicative sports cars. The S2k just has a bit more (240 HP) grunt. :)

Sorry to go off topic.

[​IMG]

onwardjames likes this.

12. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

I digress, but there is a member here--I don't recall which one--that has as a signature line "When you turn your system on, does it return the favor?" or something to that effect. I find this very insightful.

onwardjames and stish like this.
  13. OutlawSun

OutlawSun Active Member

Or better yet Dynaco A-25s if he's looking for very mellow and rolled off. I have both the Seventeens and the A-25s the Dynacos are extremely smooth in comparison. Personally I tend to use the Seventeens more for active listening they're more dynamic to me. The Dynacos are great for listening to in the evening or at night because they're so mellow.

quiet likes this.