Ramblings about system goals, listening fatigue, diminishing returns

Well that's going to be a whole new detail to think about as I climb the ladder. It's not on the short list yet.

does that mean the damping material inside the speaker is acting as a room treatment?
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Now, if you were to remove the damping from the enclosure and hang it on the wall you'd get some absorption!

Which is what I do with three large gray DIY panels now hanging in the garage to reduce slap echo. And use three "nubby" Walmart doormats on the walls for diffusion.

garage_treatments.jpg

I digress, but there is a member here--I don't recall which one--that has as a signature line "When you turn your system on, does it return the favor?" or something to that effect. I find this very insightful.

I think your EPIs may be a little more top heavy than what you are looking for. I would find a pair of KLH model 17s for your Sony. They sound like butter.

Or better yet Dynaco A-25s if he's looking for very mellow and rolled off. I have both the Seventeens and the A-25s the Dynacos are extremely smooth in comparison. Personally I tend to use the Seventeens more for active listening they're more dynamic to me. The Dynacos are great for listening to in the evening or at night because they're so mellow.

Back
Top Bottom