Random question about internation shipping and USPS

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by Markoneswift, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Markoneswift

Markoneswift Quartz locked n ready to rock Subscriber

Hi all,

I ordered a couple of parts from the US and they have been sent out to me using the 'First Class Package International Service' and has travelled from San Diego to LA.

Once it arrives (if it hasn't already) in LA, is it likely to go straight from there by air to New Zealand or is it likely to follow a more indirect path ?

I've got the tracking details for it, I'm just trying to get an idea of roughly how long it might take for it to make the journey.

Thanks

2. vwestlife

vwestlife Active Member

One of the U.S. customs processing centers is at LAX (see list here: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc7_001.htm#ep267342) where it will likely spend several days waiting to be inspected and processed before it gets on the plane to NZ. Expect a similar customs delay on your side of the pond, after which point it'll be in the hands of New Zealand Post.

Markoneswift likes this.
  3. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Super Member

I regularly ship packages all over the globe via USPS, 98% of them pretty quickly, and without a hitch. The only hangup might be in Customs at the destination country, I`ve seen as long as a few weeks delay there, but that was unusual.

4. Markoneswift

Well, gold stars for USPS and NZ Post ! Ordered Tuesday, arrived Saturday - pretty damn good I think.

I presume it helped that I'm on the Pacific side of the States and that's where the order was placed. All the package had to do was get to LAX and then straight to Auckland.

5. Markoneswift

Looking at the tracking info, it spent no more than five or six hours in customs throughout the whole journey.

6. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

I sent a package to Italy once. My biggest issue was that once it hit Italy, the tracking ceased. It was a nothing package (1/4" flat washers), and to this day I'm not sure they were delivered. The customer never complained, so I assume they were.