Randy Travis at Pine Knob - a couple observations

WhiskeyRebel

Registered thread killer
First - he did not perform an encore. He did save the encore songs from the previous tour to play toward the end of the set, and played a good long set, but I was still surprised to see the house lights come up bam just like that. It must have been the first concert I ever saw with no encore at all.

Second, he gave lengthy introductions to several songs mentioning what his reaction was the first time he heard the demo. This really struck me because it seems unimaginable to me that a rock musician would be candid about buying songs....whether they are or not. Is authorship any big deal in country music? I know it never really was for, say, pop standard singers. Or Elvis.

The opening performer Josh (forget the last name) did a number of songs that were like signature hits for earlier performers, and the crowd really dug it. It struck me as odd though - kind of blurring his own identity as a performer. Unless he is just trying to say, look I'm a fan just like you.

Also, this is a minor point, but he has a song about deer hunting where he sings about putting on his camo and wiping down his rifle. IIRC he said he's from South Carolina. Are you allowed to wear camo during firearm season in SC or was that a little poetic license?

Back
Top Bottom