Ranking Marantz Models?

Dclapp

Brothers,

As someone new to Marantz, how would you folks rank the Marantz models in terms of most desirable / best sounding / most collectible (or however else they should be judged...) ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. If enough people chime in, maybe there will be some, um, consistency of opinion?

We haven't done a "Best Marantz" thread for a while. :D There's never one model that really stands out, but it's still fun. So here's my two cents.

The big dawgs are the most collectible (high market value). Anything 2275 and larger. 2270 has a large following, probably due to lots of folks owning them back in the day.

Out of the many Marantz receivers I've worked on, the 2245 is the sweet spot for sound. Doesn't command a huge price, and it's easy to find. The low powered models are OK enough, but they lack features like main in/pre out jacks.

Hi Doug!

I agree, the 2245 and 2270 are highly desirable. Others swear by the 2230 but I don't quite care for the cap coupled outputs.

On another note... I replied to your message the other day, check your "home" page, otherwise known as the "User CP". BTW you may have PM's turned off / disallowed.

My 2230 has pre out/mains.:yes:

I have had many 2245's and don't care for them. Same with the 2270.
Colored and muffled.

The 500 is awesome.
The 2385 is a beast.
The 2265B is a nice sounding receiver, and I like the tone controls.
The 2230 sounds good to me.

Rob

I am biased........Marantz 2500.....sounds awesome to me. And the ofcourse then 4400(when I get it working!). Pretty powerful.......upwards 200 watts pr. channel AND sounds good too.(i've heard!). And ofcourse BOTh have the ultra cool scopes. That is a MUST HAVE for a vintage enthusiast! Enjoy.

I like my 2235B. Haven't had any others so I can't compare. And thanks to the generosity of wlhd1610 it's now complete with a new Dolby button.

so far

I have the 125 tuner with a 3300 pre-amp but my amp is a phase linear 400 series 1 through pioneer hpm 100's. To me its an awesome sounding system. :banana:

I am very interested in seeing where the 2240 ranks. I'm loving this receiver so far. I assume it is somewhat more desirable simply because it was only produced for one year, but I would like to hear your opinions.

I am very interested in seeing where the 2240 ranks. I'm loving this receiver so far. I assume it is somewhat more desirable simply because it was only produced for one year, but I would like to hear your opinions.

Me too. My parents are using my 2240 now, and ever time I go over there, I start to get jealous....

I stopped actively looking when I got my 2245. It sounds great and don't need to replace it with anything. I still got my Yamaha 620 after the Marantz, but it looked so lonely there at Goodwill. It's my back up in case the 2245 goes out.

I am loving my 2220, but will get one of the upper models someday....as it is now, I love the sound, it has enough power and enough connections to run my TT, DAC, TV and output to my Shiit Asgard.

Back
Top Bottom