RANSOMWARE Protect Your Computer and Digital Files

I know a lot of you guys have a large digital music library, besides the important personal files and photos. It's good to stay updated and protected.

I just let Norton do its thing. Somehow I have thus far managed to steer clear of trouble. Ransom ware is the strangest of them all tho, how does it work? I am supposed to trust some slime ball with my cc so he will not trash my puter? I think not. I guess gone are the days when I could protect myself with the 44 magnumtho.. .:(

Norton won't do shit to this problem. Norton even has viruses that attack it due to the holes the software has. It is also bloatware.

MS has patches out for XP, 7.0, and 8.0/8.1 for this issue, use them. 10 was patched a month ago, if people actually patched Windows.

With Windows 10 set up for weekly updates, would that patch have been included?

There is to one released recently and that one which was for the leaked spyware from the CIA.
So one was a CIA thing, and one an NSA thing? I thought it was the same 'wanna-this, wanna-that' stuff?

Not trying to get political, at all, just trying to sort out what post #7 means.
The link in post #10 says that anybody running supported OS's, and NOT just 10, would have been updated for this issue back in March.
So, more than just 10 was patched awhile back. The new patch is for the unsupported MS OS's.
It also says to get MS-17-010, if one hasn't already.

Or am I missing something?

They were slightly different. So yea.
So, details are out of the question then?

The MS link says to get with 17-010 for this issue, you're saying it's another issue.
Not trying to argue about it. People that know jack about this are concerned. Quick, cryptic answers don't help. What are the differences?

You guys are making me feel paranoid. . All that ripping to do again!
Don't feel paranoid. Just make sure to back up(at least once), and keep that offline.
Anybody using digital files should be doing that already, so you knew that, though.;)

Don't feel paranoid. Just make sure to back up(at least once), and keep that offline.
Anybody using digital files should be doing that already, so you knew that, though.;)
Oh I have always known it, clear back to the floppy days. I think that I have some old optical discs in the shed from 15 years ago. Now my backup drive is full so I guess had better buy a bigger backup drive for all my music.

Back
Top Bottom