RANT: Shamelessly predjuging the Dukes of Hazzard movie

WhiskeyRebel

Registered thread killer
The info I'm seeing about the new Dukes of Hazzard movie is showing some interesting casting choices.

Sorrell Booke as Boss Hogg was a grasping little runt. That was comical because his obsession with sucking up every penny in the county was such a Napoleon complex thing. A big dude like Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg is a whole other type - a steamroller, bully type. The kind of guy who figures I'm born to rule, I take what I want, what the hell y'all gonna do about it.

Who they going to have for Lulu? If they are making a point of using physical opposites, it will probably be Callista Flockhart.

Denver Pyle's Uncle Jesse was a feisty, crotchety, ornery ol' cuss. I'll have to take it on faith that Willie Nelson has enough acting ability to appear as anything other than a mellowed-out elderly high-on. Not that there is anything wrong with mellowed-out elderly high-ons, just the Uncle Jesse character never was one of those.

And Daisy. Catherine Bach played Daisy as a tough, sharp-witted broad who would pretend to be a dizzy bimbo to fool the knuckleheads like Enos. And as good as she looked, she still had a sort of girl-next-door thing. I can't get with a blond Daisy who's a publicly established genuine dizzy bimbo and looks like the "after" picture in a plastic surgeon's sample book.

What else could they do? Have Bo and Luke cook meth instead of moonshine?

WhiskeyRebel said:
And Daisy. Catherine Bach played Daisy as a tough, sharp-witted broad who would pretend to be a dizzy bimbo to fool the knuckleheads like Enos. And as good as she looked, she still had a sort of girl-next-door thing. I can't get with a blond Daisy who's a publicly established genuine dizzy bimbo and looks like the "after" picture in a plastic surgeon's sample book.

So who's slated to play Daisy? From your description I would guess Paris Hilton or maybe Pam Anderson!? :dunno:

I'm at work and don't dare go to the link :sigh:

I checked IMDB and there is no Lulu listed in the credits. There is a character named Pauline who will be played by Lynda Carter who is still very yummy. Daisy will be played by Jessica Simpson. And WRebel, I have seen pics of her as a young teen, they have been that size for a long time.

I am actually looking forward to this. It was a goofy show when it was on tv, so I don't care if they mess with the characters.

Personally, being a fan of the series since I had a set of Dukes of Hazzard bedsheets, I refuse to see this movie. Maybe I'll catch it on TV one day....then again, probably not.

Filmboydoug said:
I checked IMDB and there is no Lulu listed in the credits.
Hmm. Lulu was Boss Hogg's wife, and she was a big ol' U-Haul of a lady. Same actress who played the mother-in-law on Grace Under Fire IIRC

Filmboydoug said:
There is a character named Pauline who will be played by Lynda Carter who is still very yummy.
I changed my mind. This movie will rule. I think I'd damn near watch a movie about a package of hamburger defrosting, if it starred Lynda.

Filmboydoug said:
Daisy will be played by Jessica Simpson. And WRebel, I have seen pics of her as a young teen, they have been that size for a long time.
Jessica may not be surgically altered at all, I just think her facial features are very much the current cultural template of glamor, which isn't my style and seems mismatched to the character IMO. Plus the whole "newlyweds" thing left me with an indelible image of her as a high-maintenance dimwit with no sense. It would be like casting Ben Stein as Forrest Gump, only in reverse.

For my money I think Danny DeVito would've been a better Boss Hogg as he's a similar body and character type. Of course he'd have to lose the NY accent and gain a Southern one, but can't you just see him spitting fire and getting apoplectic like Sorrel? :)

While we're on the subject of remakes of old TV shows into movies, WTF is it with Hollywerid's obsession to radically change the format or flavor......I mean, look at Lost In Space, absolutely nothing like the TV show, what a mess. Their latest abortion is to redo the Honeymooners with an all black cast. Frankly that pretty much disgusts me, how would the black community like it if they remade Amos & Andy with white guys? Yeah, I'm a bull in a PC china shop, but no one can tell me in their heart of hearts they don't agree on some level with what I'm saying.

Anthony

Dukes of Hazzard movie? Who cares? I'm waiting for that Magnum P.I. movie that probably won't surface.

Yeah, Burt as Boss Hogg is totally miscast. Boss was a "W.C. Fields" kind of character, basically a blustery fraud, not the scheming bully type Burt plays. Boss worked because no one really ever took him seriously. And let's not fergit the cars-what will these latter-day saints have Boss ridin' around in? Prolly a '75 Eldorado. General Lee ? a mid-80s Mustang...God Help us !! I will prolly hate it for the same reasons I hated the remake of "Gone in 60 Seconds"-they will have to make it "better" & in the process, ruin the whole thing.-Sandy G.

"Sorrell Booke as Boss Hogg was a grasping little runt. That was comical because his obsession with sucking up every penny in the county was such a Napoleon complex thing. A big dude like Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg is a whole other type - a steamroller, bully type. The kind of guy who figures I'm born to rule, I take what I want, what the hell y'all gonna do about it."

A lot of people don't realize that Dukes of Hazzard was based on a movie called MoonRunners that ran back in 1975. The character of the original "boss" was pretty much the way you described above. More of a good ol boy bigshot/bully type. The movie was more realistic and better overall IMHO. Not nearly as silly as the series.

Last edited:
How about Burt in White Lightning and the sequel Gator? Both similar flavors. Now what movie am I thinking of that had him and I think Karen Black with a line about "shaky puddin"?

Anthony

Sandy G said:
And let's not fergit the cars-what will these latter-day saints have Boss ridin' around in? Prolly a '75 Eldorado. General Lee ? a mid-80s Mustang....

We can only hope, It would be sickening to see them destroy any more Chargers :uzi:

Yes I hate to see 68 Chargers buy it. The remake of Vanishing Point high speed rolled a black 68 Charger, I didn't know it before I saw the dvd or I would have avoided it like the plague. Then the scene with the wreck back in the garage later, with a mechanic being told "Do what you can" almost made me groan/cry/scream. My downfalls: old Mopars and old slightly younger Pioneers. :smilemad:

Well, Eric, you DO have a point-but I kinda doubt they'll be using them for the movie. $25-40K seems to be the going price for one nowadays. Back then, they were just junky old cars, not the classics they are now. And a 1969-70 Cadillac in 1979-80 would have been a "White-Trash Special"....or consigned to "pimpmobile" duty..Surely an ignominious end to a fine car.-Sandy G.

Daisy Dukes

As hot as Jessica Simpson is, I have trouble finding her as sexy as Catherine Bach. Jessica's pretty, but too skinny for me (ribs sticking out is a little scary), while Catherine had all the curves just right. Who can forget those cut-off shorts that became her trademark? I know...I'm showing my age, and a tendency to re-live teenage fantasies. I've decided I'm ok with it.

Well, I know a fella who has a warehouse full of 'em-and Superbirds-maybe upwards of 50 or so-from basketcases to concours-shape. This has to be a mixed blessing, 'cause all of his go up in value a little bit. Knowing Phil, however, I'm sure he'd rather have the cars around...-Sandy G.

Seems like I remember Cathy Bach saying in an interview they killed 168 of them...I HOPE my figure is correct, Doug-no offense intended....<grin>-Sandy G.

Didn't James Best-Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane- pass on a few years back? I remember seeing he was 75, & then seems like he died. I could be wrong-I hope so-I liked him. Anybody remember what "Doomsday Movie" Sorrell Booke played in back in the early '60s? J.R. was in it, too...-Sandy G.

Back
Top Bottom