1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Rare and Seldom Seen Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SmitterDave, Mar 17, 2012.

1. SmitterDave

SmitterDave Audio Preservation through Restoration. Subscriber

I would like to start a thread for seldom seen, odd and rare speakers. I have owned some throughout my years in the audio hobby. I would like to start with my Dennesen 180 electrostatic's. The tweeters were engineered with Arthur JansZen and Frank Dennesen for the Electrostatic ERC 139 Speaker. Frank Dennesen ended up using this tweeter for many years afterwards in his designs. The 180's use an 8" alnico woofer that has been doped and used some reticulated foam as an early phase plug seen on woofers today.

I hope others with rare odd speakers to join in.

Last edited: May 26, 2014

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Todd MacDona

Todd MacDona AK Subscriber Subscriber

As most people who went to the winter Frankenfest know, i recently acquired a pair of Acoustech X speakers. Also a Janszen design. Some pics of the fest are here, and you will see a couple pics of my speakers. They are 6' tall and about 2.5' wide. You will also see a pair of B & W speakers that belong to another member.
    I love the Acoustech, even though mine need a bit more work. They have built in amps as the base. If you search the speaker section, you can see another thread with more photo's of mine.
    They are keeper for sure.:thmbsp:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=428382&page=2

3. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

I am using a pair of Clearfield Continentals designed by Albert Von Schwiekert and made under the Counterpoint name back in the 90s.

If you google Images of that model, you may only find pics of mine and 1 or 2 other pairs.

4. nissan guy

nissan guy Super Member

My sequerra metronome pyramid speakers and 2w subwoofers. they look bad currently but i am working on putting on new grill cloth, and removing excessive rope calk that the p.o. had on them. They still sound excellent as is though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SmitterDave

I have always wanted to get a set of Sequerra ribbons. I have a set of Apogee Calipers which are killer but have heard great things about the Sequerra line.

6. ARRAY

ARRAY Super Member

Very interesting Dave. The Buckyball tweeter array. Do us a favour, is there any way to determine the angle those tweeters fire at relative to the baffle?

7. nissan guy

nissan guy Super Member

I Really wish i had the pair of ribbons that went on top of each one of my speakers. Someday when i can get a set cheap enough.

8. Ohighway

Ohighway Wannabe Minimalist Subscriber

How aboout a pair of Janszen Z-300 ? Or a couple pairs of Janszen 1-30 tweeter arrays ?

[​IMG]

9. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Too Much Power!

Cool Looking Speakers, guys. I have a few rare and seldom seen speakers laying around :D
    Marantz Model 600-Mirrored, and unusual grill cloth that mimicks the walnut veneer. One of the last Designs by Engineer Edmond May in 1980 just before his unexpected death.
    [​IMG]
    Kenwood Model Sevens. Rare 130 lb. giants hand crafted and built by Japanese techs with pride of workmanship. Nothing in these speakers was outsourced. All made in house by Kenwood. Built from 1975-1977 with MSRP of $2,600 to $3,000.
    [​IMG]

Nemo bit, jpsyoda, Goldjazz and 2 others like this.
  10. SmitterDave

Cool Marantz's, I have never seen those before.

11. maddog37

maddog37 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was given a pair of Fairfax bookshelf speakers by a friend, and I know very little about them. Apparently they were made in Newark, NJ, and I enjoy the sound in my bedroom system. Anybody heard of these, or better yet, have any info?

12. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Very nice speakers, BT!

This a JBL speaker I would love to have (S2600). I have not seen a pair as of yet, but hopefully one day a pair will be in my possession.

[​IMG]

Rome

jobrewer1983 and GD70 like this.
  13. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I sold these about 8 months ago. Probably the oddest I've had.

Bertagni Electroacoustic Systems (BES) SM250's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nemo bit likes this.
  14. dread31

dread31 Addicted Member

I knew a guy in San Diego that had a pair of those. Actually very nice sounding speakers.

Dave

jgscisum likes this.
  15. leguerrier

leguerrier Active Member

i also have an old set of janszen 1-30 electrostates,use them on top of my ar9s to enhance the top end,another hard to find are the FRIED model r's enjoyed daily.most of my other speakers are somewhat more common but vintage and collectable,ar3a,ar2ax.electrovoice interface b,imf als40's,web's,and a couple sets of 70's speakerlabs.my rarest by far would be my Braun L-1000 studio monitors,bet no one else has a set of those!!

16. totem

totem AK Subscriber Subscriber

I see you are relatively new to AK, you would be surprised just what people
    have in there possession. Are your Fried a newer find?

17. leguerrier

leguerrier Active Member

yes the frieds i aquired not too long ago,but ive had Imf als 40's for yrs so i know the transmission line speakers well

18. bluesky

bluesky Addicted Member

Lessons Learned:

It's really nice to have really 'rare' speakers but...

Parts are impossible to find and componets can't be repaired.

Moral of the story: once something is broken...they are closet speakers. Parked in the closet awaiting parts.

But rare speakers are fun...while they work.

19. SOTA

SOTA Solder Splash Goalie

I was thinking the same way about my Braun L800 studio monitors but hey, who knows? There is likely a mountain of them in Europe...we just rarely get to see a pair in North America.

J.R.

20. slial

slial AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just started a thred on a vintage pair of Empire 2000 Cavaliers...I think they are pretty uncommon and have quite a unique look to them. Here's a shot...more on the dedicated thread.

[​IMG]

Scott

Balrog2112 and Nemo bit like this.