Rare and Seldom Seen Speakers

sota,your brauns are from a later series,many more produced.my l-1000 studio monitors were produced in 1966,and there were only 100 pairs ever produced.i know of only 2 other pairs,one owned by a fine gentleman in ontario who worked on the dieter rams team that developed them in germany and the other pair is at the braun museum in frankfiert gemany

Lessons Learned:

It's really nice to have really 'rare' speakers but...

Parts are impossible to find and components can't be repaired.
No question about the rarity of such parts indeed, however, I have successfully repaired drivers in two pairs of my rare speakers. It IS possible if you are creative enough and know how to find the resources to accomplish such a feat.

Here are a few other pairs I have:
1980 Marantz M10, Unusual and pretty rare to find with original drivers and Vari-Q's, and as a mirrored set. Another pair of Ed May's last designs right before his death.
Picture356.jpg

1979-80 Kenwood LS-407C, last of the LS-400 series Kenwoods spawned from the giant Model Sevens. Mine here are the only pair on the entire internet showing original drivers. Their bigger brother, the LS-408C, are same except larger cabinet with a 12" woofer.
Picture386-1.jpg

How aboout a pair of Janszen Z-300 ? Or a couple pairs of Janszen 1-30 tweeter arrays ?

attachment.php

My cousin had a pair of 1-30's sitting on top of a pair of AR-1w's driven by one MC-60 and fed by a Marantz Model 1 Consolette. Purchased at Allied Radio in the 50's. I wish I had them now. :yes:

Lessons Learned:

It's really nice to have really 'rare' speakers but...

Parts are impossible to find and componets can't be repaired.

Moral of the story: once something is broken...they are closet speakers. Parked in the closet awaiting parts.

But rare speakers are fun...while they work.

Agreed. That's why i am glad i have 4 spare tweeters, 2 spare mid range drivers and a pair of 8" woofers for my sequerra pyramids.

I scored some Telefunken sb86's at pawn shop for free circa 1966! Very nice smooth speakers cabinet little rough, no feet. Iam going to take them apart check drivers,and wiring,and caps.
Also going to refinish them, playing them now through Hk 750 integrated amp!Sounds great!

The Pioneer CS 51 is a fairly rare speaker as well. Its got the PE 12 fullranger in it with a tweeter. Its got a huge magnet to cone size ratio.

Hi All,

I have a pair of really nice RAM Electronics Ltd 150 monitor speakers from the 1970's.

Very nice sounding with a Sony STR-6055 receiver and also an Acoustic Research A-05 integrated amplifier.

Attachments

• 20120317_094912.jpg
    20120317_094912.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 398
Hi All,

I have a pair of really nice RAM Electronics Ltd 150 monitor speakers from the 1970's.

I don't think I have ever run across this brand. They look well built and the tweeter looks like the ones used in the A/D/S line.

I don't think I have ever run across this brand. They look well built and the tweeter looks like the ones used in the A/D/S line.

Audio Fan: Ram Electronics were formed in 1974 and manufactured speakers through to 1982 in Norwich UK.

The tweeters are Audax (French I think) and the others are Dalesford:

from the web-

The RAM 150 introduced our first use of ABR's instead of reflex ports, with the ABR manufactured on a Dalesford frame

There is very little info about them on the web, but they sound amazing.

I don't know if they are rare or uncommon, but I saved them from going to the rubbish dump. They have not had a thorough clean yet, but the condition is nearly mint or mint.

Smitterdave, all you have to do is hold an adjustable bevel up to the tweeters and then compare to a protractor.

Have a pair of Wharfedale Denton 2's. Probably quite common in the UK but I've never encountered another pair here. Not hard to understand why....First time I hooked them up to an amp with more than 25WPC and played some actual ROCK music through them, they sounded weak and then one woofer smoked. Had them for decades and the only thing left original is the four sides of the cabinet. Everything else replaced/upgraded over the years. Must have tried out five sets of LF drivers in them since I've had them...looking for the right sound and never really getting there until recently.

Hi
I know these probably don't qualify as rare compared to some of the stuff other AKers have but they seem interesting to me. They include unmarked infinities,Technics flat panel speakers,Sony flat speakers,Some old, large Bose speakers, some really old Cerwin-Vegas and the really cool Cambridge Audio set with twin subwoofers.

Attachments

• DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC04212.jpg
    DSC04212.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    IMG_2367.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2880.jpg
    IMG_2880.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 501
Here's another pair of mine, Marantz HD77, still with intact Vari-Q plugs, original surrounds, and original open cell foam grills, all still springy and solid just as if someone went back to 1976 in a time machine and brought these back to 2012. Sure you see HD77's every so often, but how many 100% intact pairs like this have you ever seen?

Picture466.jpg

Picture467.jpg

Hi
I know these probably don't qualify as rare compared to some of the stuff other AKers have but they seem interesting to me. They include unmarked infinities,Technics flat panel speakers,Sony flat speakers,Some old, large Bose speakers, some really old Cerwin-Vegas and the really cool Cambridge Audio set with twin subwoofers.
Those are very cool Kahoona! I would consider those rare since they are hardly seen anywhere on the net.

Here's a rare & seldom seen sight, not 1 but 2 pairs of intact Marantz's in the same pic, HD66 & HD77.
Picture495.jpg

Back
Top Bottom