Rare and Seldom Seen Speakers

I've seen only 3 refereñces to the Rectilinear X or Xa speakers in several years of looking for them. So I am building my own set. I bought some drivers from the speakers from a guy in Az who parted his out. I referred an AK member to a pair advd in FL. I saw another pair years ago avd on Craigslist. So that's it. I'd guess that less than a thousand were evey built/sold and surround rot for spelled early retirement for almost all of those. It used an early CTI foam surround in 1970 and expect very few owners fixed them, assuring their current rarity.

I've heard of a huge Frazier speaker that was frequently modified in the users homes by multiple factory visitations after sales; that has got to be a real rarity.
Crossover issues fried a lot of the 5 inch mid drivers. And ultimately sent them to the dump because used 111's were so cheap for a while and sound much better.

6A93AE1B-07EE-4FC7-AEAE-BDFEECADA221.jpeg 2D418C3E-5977-4F96-95B2-77FAB75BF57D.jpeg

I was doing a search recently, and these were the only pair of these for sale in the world! They are Tangent RS8 Speakers from the early 80s. They use Audax tweeters and mids, and Dalesford 10 inch woofers. Cosmetics are pretty good except I didn’t get the grills with them. I’ve tried a number of amps with them. So far they sound the best with my MC2205 and my Bose 1801.

The was a pair of these for sale a few months back in NY... Is this the same set?

Not these. I’ve had them for a couple of years now. Preamp is very important with them. I had them on a C24 and almost sold them. Then I plugged in my freshly restored C26, and it was a whole new sound. Balanced with clear highs, tight bass, and solid midrange. I was temporarily using the c24 while the C26 was getting leestereofied. Both were with the mc2205. They also sound really good with the Bose 1801/4401 combination.

Crossover issues fried a lot of the 5 inch mid drivers. And ultimately sent them to the dump because used 111's were so cheap for a while and sound much better.

Yes, especially the 100 Hz crossover to the 5" mid. That should have been higher, like 200 Hz or more. And the early use of foam surrounds without easy to find foam replacements.

I was very impressed with how good the Elipson sounded with a Pioneer sx-636.

Elipson is highly respected in Europe, and seems to have somewhat of a following in Quebec, but is rarely found elsewhere.

The Tamon speakers are not very picky about the receiver/amp they are connected to, and sound very good. I think the super tweeter adds a layer of airiness to the highs. I like the results. Both speaker sets have well made wood veneered cabinets. I really like the wooden slat grills on the Tamon. Very unusual!

Attachments

• DSC_0342.JPG
    DSC_0342.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 33
I'm amazed there isn't more information on the tamon brand as everyone who owns a pair says they sound great.

Attachments

• DSC_0346.JPG
    DSC_0346.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 18
CROWN INTERNATIONAL C-8. This is a 1967 three way sealed box stuffed with Dacron. Crown says 28hz to 18khz. I believe it. But it rolls off at 36hz. Sixty five pounds. 27x18x12.
It sounds a lot like the Rectilinear 111. The big difference is no 33hz bump.

PC050010.JPG
PC050001.JPG
PC050011.JPG

Ten inch rubber surround woofer.
PC050002.JPG
Five inch mid
PC050003.JPG
2 1/2 inch tweeter
PC050004.JPG
2 1/4 inch tweeter.
PC050012.JPG

CROWN INTERNATIONAL C-8. This is a 1967 three way sealed box stuffed with Dacron. Crown says 28hz to 18khz. I believe it. But it rolls off at 36hz. Sixty five pounds. 27x18x12.
It sounds a lot like the Rectilinear 111. The big difference is no 33hz bump.

View attachment 1348115
View attachment 1348117
View attachment 1348120

Ten inch rubber surround woofer.
View attachment 1348121
Five inch mid
View attachment 1348123
2 1/2 inch tweeter
View attachment 1348128
2 1/4 inch tweeter.
View attachment 1348132

No wonder it sounds like a Rectilinear. The mid looks just like the Phillips mid in my Rectilinear III.

After a close study I think it is. And the 2 1/2 tweeter also, and maybe the little tweeter too. It displays all the attributes of the Rectilinear 111. But the bass is noticeably different. Deeper, flatter and sharper. And the speaker as a whole is more sensitive.
I've had these Crown's for about three weeks. I didn't want to rush to conclusions before the honeymoon was over so I haven't said about them, till now.

GO GET THEM. If you can.

After a close study I think it is. And the 2 1/2 tweeter also, and maybe the little tweeter too.
Yep, the tweeters and super-tweeter look just like the Peerless drivers from the Rect III - - - now I'm curious about those woofers. :rolleyes:

Yep, the tweeters and super-tweeter look just like the Peerless drivers from the Rect III - - - now I'm curious about those woofers. :rolleyes:
I hope it's the 10 inch W11 from the Rec XI family. I picked up a spare mid last night.

I hope it's the 10 inch W11 from the Rec XI family
You mentioned rubber surrounds, but that does not sound consistent with Rectilinear woofers. Here is a pic of a 10-inch Rect XI woofer: four screws, cloth surround, transparent dust cap, alnico magnet.

XI woof.jpg

These C8's very much do appear to have smooth rubber surrounds. The dust cap is transparent cloth. The visible voice coil looks the same. The cone is paper with matching texture. Mounted with four basket screws.
In 1971 the Rec XI used a rubber surround. The W11 XIa that followed used cloth.

Very nice speakers, BT!

This a JBL speaker I would love to have (S2600). I have not seen a pair as of yet, but hopefully one day a pair will be in my possession.

S2600.jpg

Rome

Epic!!

Back
Top Bottom