RARE Black Dial 2385...anyone own one..!!

Quadrocker

Now...I know there's a Black PANEL European version of the 2385....but....in '75 or '76 when the mid-70's range was introduced, the early 2385's had a black tuning DIAL and meters similar to the 2330 and the rest of the mid-70's range.

Has anyone come across one of these or are they (..along with the 2140 Tuner) another Marantz catalog mystery..??

It's interesting to note that when the range was changed over, the 2385 remained the 2385 with NO "B" added but the dial changed to silver from black to match the next range, so I'm assuming internally it was identical to the black dial version.

I found this catalog image a while back...but I've never actually seen a black dial version for sale or any photo's of one.....

Attachments

• Marantz 2385 Receiver RARE Black Dial.jpg
    Marantz 2385 Receiver RARE Black Dial.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 255
I'm thinking the 2385 was a 1977 model and was below the 2500. Interesting Marantz would claim the 2385 to be the most powerful receiver in the world. The 2385 must have come out several months before the 2500.

I'm thinking the 2385 was a 1977 model and was below the 2500. Interesting Marantz would claim the 2385 to be the most powerful receiver in the world. The 2385 must have come out several months before the 2500.

Until I found this brochure..I would have thought '77 as well. Now, I'm thinking the original 2385 (Black Dial) might have come out in '76...here's the entire page from a brochure I found online...note the earlier range...

The entire catalog is located here - (..no longer online)

....the website lists the catalog as 1977.....but I'm thinking it's gotta be earlier than that...?? Wasn't the 2330 (orig. ver.) released in '76 or '75..???

Last edited:
my uncle bought his 2265 and 2 pair of AR18's in either '77 or 78...I'll have to look at the receipt tonight.

I'm with Big Tuna on this. Most likely a pre-production model they took pictures of for the first ads but got changed before production started.

As to a Marantz 2385 black dial version, I have been reading various online audio forum posts, some several years old and some much more recent, all quite dubious about whether a Marantz 2385 black dial has in fact ever existed beyond the photo representation contained in Marantz’s 1977 “most powerful” receivers brochure.

Well, I am here to tell you the apocryphal Marantz 2385 black dial does exist. I have it.

What you see is the 2385 prototype that was apparently never actually produced with a black dial. How do I know it’s the prototype? No serial number stamped on the rear name plate and the blue Dynotape label affixed (which Marantz commonly used for internal inventory purposes).

(See back of Marantz 2500 black dial prototype at http://www.mtk-physio.de/Marantz/Ma...First_Details/marantz_2500_first_details.html)

You will notice some slight differences in 2385 prototype and the actual production model beyond the black dial, for example, on the 2385 prototype there are no numbers around the volume control knob.

So, now you have it, a Marantz 2385 black dial does indeed exist in this world! Of course I would welcome any additional information on the Marantz 2385 black dial anyone might care to share.

Michael Thomas
Orange County, California

Welcome to AK, Michael!

That's one heck of a first post and one heck of a Marantz. This is the only one I've seen but have seen the black dial 2500. I believe I've also seen this one for sale recently , pickup only, but was taken down. I was considering driving across the country for it. :D

Thanks for the welcome!

You are correct, this is the one that was for sale recently, pick-up only, I drove to get it and chat with the seller a bit. Very glad I did, right place and the right time.

Regards.

Oooooooohhh! Nice grab indeed. I would have liked it better had they done production with the black dial myself. Also welcome to the "gang"!

For posterity sake a local seller in Utah also has a black dial 2385 he says was used at audio shows.

Attachments

• 549923886.jpg
    549923886.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 76
B
For posterity sake a local seller in Utah also has a black dial 2385 he says was used at audio shows.
Very interesting. It must be a European model or a later US model as it has 9 lights instead of 8 (i.e., a second aux input/light). Also has numbers around the volume control while the original prototype does not. A few other minor differences too. See pic from 1977 broshure. (Also, there is a thread on how Big Tuna polished out a silver dial to black, could that be it here?) Anyway, love to hear more from the owner or any other knowledgeable contributor ....

Attachments

• IMG_2624.JPG
    IMG_2624.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom