Rare, hard to find, uncommon Pioneer components

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Dr. Strangelove, Jan 9, 2006.

1. yotems

yotems AK Subscriber Subscriber

its not mine but it caught my eye as i was browsing ebays selection of secondhand pioneer units [​IMG]

sxd7000 quartz synthesized stereo receiver from 1980. 120 watts per channel @ 8 ohms with .006% THD

2. tuberadios69

tuberadios69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Pioneer was unsuccessful initially selling what became the Series 20 line, under the Pioneer moniker. The initial offerings were the C-21 preamp, M-22 Class A power amp, D-23 Crossover Network, U-24 Program Source Selector (these 4 items appeared in a May 1977 "The Series Twenty" Pioneer brochure), the PLC-590 turntable and the short lived PA-1000 tone arm (both in separate brochures/spec sheets). They sold poorly. Folks wouldn't take the Pioneer name seriously for high end audio gear designed to compete with the likes of McIntosh and others. The gear was great, though, beautiful and very well built. It sounded good too, especially the M-22. So, Pioneer created a separate sub-brand called Series 20 hoping audiophiles would take the product more seriously by "hiding" the Pioneer name on the back panel. The line was expanded, adding the M-25 Class AB amp, two tuners (F-26 and F-28) and the A-27 integrated amplifier (all seen in a separate "series 20" brochure from September 1978, with no mention of the name "Pioneer"). Despite a few good reviews, ads in the audio buff magazines and limited distribution, the line proved unsuccessful and Pioneer dropped it by 1982. Too bad, very nice gear. Dealer returns and left over product languished in Pioneer's Long Beach warehouse for several years until the US service department checked them out and put them into our "B" stock inventory where I and a couple other RSM's discovered them, selling many M-22's, a few turntables and a few other models to a few select dealers (as well as employees). The coveted D-23 crossover network inventory was long gone and only a handful of other models were available. They went quickly, too. I wasn't crazy about the preamp (a bit colored sounding) so I sold it but have owned a couple M-22 amps which are very good amps and highly coveted. The tuners are incredibly rare. I'll bet fewer than 75 ever made it to the US. I obtained an F-28 for a friend back around 1982 or 83. Sure wish I had bought one. I never see them on ebay or Audiogon. I had joined Pioneer's sales team in 1977 in the Mid-Atlantic so I am very familiar with the Series 20 equipment. I was the Regional Sales Manager for Pioneer (home audio division) in the Mid-Atlantic until 1996.

JT-3 likes this.
  3. cnolanh

cnolanh Ad astra Subscriber

Thanks much for this personal backstory about the Series 20 line! The quality you point to is readily apparent. For the last several years my main power amp has been an M-25 that I lucked into. (It's playing beautiful jazz as I write.) Though I've bought/sold/traded a lot of components over the years, the M-25 is in my handful of all-time favorites. It's effortless, lush, detailed, with plenty of bass authority. And it looks like almost nothing else — just the M-22, of course, and a few of the Mitsubishi DA-A series.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  4. Vectorgw

Vectorgw New Member

That's Awesome!!!

5. Big Bud

Big Bud New Member

Had a pair of these from 1985 to about 1990. They were huge beasts, I used to pack them to the truck by myself to take to parties.

Good thing I was a young huge beast myself at the time or I would have needed a friend to help me move them lol

6. Big Bud

Big Bud New Member

Your HPM 200s seem to have more of a cherry finish on them. Seems mine were a dark oak or maple finish. It's been 25 years since I owned them so doing the best I can with the surviving brain cells from that era lol.

7. ChopperChas

ChopperChas AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just saw a Pioneer TX-D1000 sell for $708 on eBay, with the rack ears. It was the most perfect example I've ever seen... but come on, $708? I was thinking it'd go for $250 with the ears... but seven. hundred. dollars? That's just crazy.

Charles.

8. 55Redneck

55Redneck Canadian Redneck

I have one of these in pretty much mint condition (two bulbs out) and I absolutely love it. I have it powering a pair of Luxman LX104MKII speakers. Great combo.

9. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson New Member

I have the Series 20 Pre-Amp, Tuner, and Switcher. Very clean and functional. All in original boxes with manuals. All I need is the M-22. Please contact me if you have an M-22 or are interested in buying all 3 pieces.

10. jamie123

jamie123 Active Member

ive been enjoying this for a while since ditching the lp12.
    pioneer plc-1700,very,very rare in the uk :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

madpioneer and cnolanh like this.
  11. ChopperChas

Funny that TX-D1000 went for $700+... I snagged one last month for $75. I think it must have been the rack handles on the other one. Or something. That was just a retarded price. It'd cost maybe $150 to have a machine shop fab up some replica ears... and there are universal options out there too. Now to clean and align it, and find space for it on my shelves...

Charles.

12. madpioneer

madpioneer Super Member

IMG_2141.JPG I know the TX-D1000 is a sought after piece for some but really a TX-9500 II has a much better & warmer sound and pulls in stations much better than the 1000 & goes for less $$. I guess some just gotta have one for their collection. Mine cost $16 @Goodwill around 1999-2000.

13. ChopperChas

Heh, I don't know if I could listen to FM radio long without the ability to instantly hop stations. The commercials nearly drive me crazy, and the song repetition tries to finish the job!

Charles.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  14. madpioneer

madpioneer Super Member

I hear ya Charles! The only station I can even stomach these days is a local classical station. My tuner is permanently tuned into it, and I never change it. They only advertise themselves & not very much. Solely run on donations. The only downside is when they have their monthly or quarterly 'fund raising' time too much talking and focusing on raising money so I tend to stay away during that time. But it's the way they stay on the air. Other stations with local car dealer commercials drives me insane! I thought TV ad's were too much but the radio is drenched in them! Every 10 minutes the same string of car dealer ads over & over & over all day...........I have boycott stations like that for more than 10 years now.

15. ChopperChas

Yeah. I like the local college stations, but their programming varies wildly from day to day and hour to hour. I'm not a big classical fan, so I avoid that station usually. The rest are varying quality... hoping a bigass antenna on my roof will pull in some good stations from the Greensboro area, as well as some more of the weaker local college stations. (RDU has a ton of universities around). Analog tuner just doesn't work for my use case :)

Charles.

madpioneer likes this.
  16. madpioneer

madpioneer Super Member

I'm not a huge classical fan, it's just a once in a great while that I even tune in to it. If they are playing opera off it goes. Just when I'm inside and doing a few things and not wanting to change out CD's for the moment until I can sit down and really get into playing my CD's then off it goes. Think I've tuned in maybe 3 times this year, should give you an idea how much radio I listen to.

17. siamac

siamac PIONEER VINTAGE

Very rare Pioneer PL-7A idler wheel drive turntable - in www you just can find the PL-7.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Dscraggle

Dscraggle New Member

Since I got my receiver working I have to have a nice set of the Pioneer speakers to go with it. I've seen them go for over $700 to $50 for a set a cabinets. I do think I want to restore a set though, is have a hard time paying $700 for speakers

19. APman

APman New Member

I bought a pair of HPM 200s in 1975. I was told they were the first pair sold on the west coast. I had them for about 10 years.
    My brother still cusses me as I asked him to help me move them to my upstairs apartment. 140 lbs each crated.
    The thing I remember most about them was the more power you gave them they just sounded bigger, not really louder.
    There were many times when the Spec 2 would run out of power. Of course I was a lot younger and listening tastes were different then now. Maybe that is why I say huh? a lot now.

20. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

Would their 6-cassette deck with remote be considered rare? Both are mint but I think a cassette is stuck or something. Seemed to work fine at the thrift.