Ronito6

In the past here on AK I've asked about possible substitutions for this Hitachi 24V reed relay .

8bf7eedd95b326fa1abbc031cec12241.jpg

Although there were a couple of what I am sure were good suggestions, there was nothing easily get-able for me until I saw this today.

Well it seem some good chap here in Japan who goes by the name GG has decided to post his solution on his web page at
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/go-go-gonta555/c/bbfcb541a606aff1f3d1305e625de267

He uses the easy to find and cheap Omron G5V-2 24V as his substitute.

He illustrates the method of replacement extremely well.
So without further ado, here is his solution in pictures.
df562e8ade52662ded272c3cbb911af0.jpg

b4f20e8fb5d96f7d4bdde8aa5bdb2a9f.jpg

86df7e5884179f977a8cd1c1a3174e1a.jpg

cc7b9ab2e98a9e46f283318d1febebb8.jpg

Pretty neat eh?

Those old Hitachi reed relays are impossible to find and no substitutes (UNTIL NOW) have been so easy to find or cheap to buy.

Actually, I had seen this substitution done once before to replace the reed relay of a Sansui AU-X11. But that poster showed zero details, so all I knew was that is was possible.

Now the mystery is solved. And in great detail to boot.

I hope this is helpful.
It is certainly one more solid addition to the Sansui (or other maker) restoration knowledge base.

http://www.americanrelays.com/openframe.pdf

May or may not fit perfect, but I have always been able to shoehorn them in.

Thanks for the tip.

Will American Relays sell only one? What do they cost?

I've seen those suggested a couple years ago but they don't seem to be carried by DigiKey, Mouser, or Element 14.

Omron G5V-2 are sold by these vendors, so sourcing seems way easier for anyone outside the USA.

I like the American Relays option more actually. I just can't find them easily.

The number is at the bottom of the pdf. Give them a call. If I remember correctly, there is a minimum order, but do not remember it being too bad.

Couldn't you do the same thing with a reed relay? Like this one.
I believe they used reed relays for low level signals for a reason. Could be wrong though. They are sealed from the environment though.

It does give other options though. I was going to do this on a unit at one point and was advised against it here on AK.

Rob

I believe they used reed relays for low level signals for a reason. Could be wrong though. They are sealed from the environment though.
EW explains it well in one of the linked threads. Currents as low as 10µA can be reliably switched by the Omron G5V-2 24V series relays which have gold plated silver contacts.

Perfect as drop in replacements for the signal relays in Sansui C-2101 & C-2102 pre-amps - and also (with wiring) can be used for replacing the signal relays in the AU-X1 and many others.

Last edited:
That little green L24 reed relay is also used on the power meter driver board in the G22 and G33. That board also has an unobtainum IC that is often blaimed for power meter problems. It's a fairly complex circuit and I'm wondering if the relay not the IC is the source of some of these meter problems.

- Pete

Couldn't you do the same thing with a reed relay? Like this one.

It does give other options though. I was going to do this on a unit at one point and was advised against it here on AK.

Rob

Sure! Why not. If the parameters of the new component match up with the old, I don't see why a contemporary reed relay would not match up.

BUT my goal here is to show a method that I can prove is being done as a solution to replacing a superlatively rare and costly component.
(Emboldened and underlined for emphasis, not emotion;))

A cheap easy solution that is proven to work.

Please post pics here of the same method being used with a contemporary reed relay to replace a similar vintage relay. I would love to see it. More for the knowledge bank. :thumbsup:

That said...I have yet to see anything other than a cheap and easy to source Omron G5V-2 24V, or a pricier more difficult to source American Relay reed relay, used as a replacement for one of those old Hitachi ones.

In the end, you may be right, but no one seems to have yet tried using a contemporary reed relay in place of one of those old Hitachi's for some reason.

Ok on the Omron G5V-2 24V

The coil terminals are 1 and 16. The green wires in the above solution.
The common terminals are 4 and 13. The 4 has a white wire, and 13 a pink.
The normally open terminals are 8 and 9. The 8 has a white wire, and 9 a pink.
The normally closed terminals are 6 and 11. These have no wires attached.

So...when the amp is on, it appears that the coil is indeed activated.

What is posted is from the spec sheet for the relay.

The point is if this relay is used where it is activated for a certain function and/or mode and the receiver is left in that mode and powered on for 24/7 there may be issues. It is just a heads up.

The contacts on a reed relay may be hermetically sealed with an inert gas and mercury wetted contacts or they may have dry contacts for less demanding applications.

upload_2017-5-18_4-39-38.png

This is just one supplier, various coil voltage and coil current rating are likely available.

Back
Top Bottom