Rare yamaha ns30b's. Wow!

Wow! As rare as anything I have ever seen.I probably would have jumped on those at that price.Wonder what is inside.Seems pretty low price considering what he knows about these.

A big styrofoam ear shaped woofer. I heard a set yrs ago. From what I recall they looked better than they sounded..

A big styrofoam ear shaped woofer. I heard a set yrs ago. From what I recall they looked better than they sounded..

Exactly...it’s a weird looking driver, flat and shaped like a big ear like the product description said. Someone out here was trying to sell them for $999 in so so condition. Not known for their sound...and I don’t think Yamaha made another ear shaped driver since! :)

That ad is confusing. Are they an ear speaker (IIRC, those are usually vertical) or are they a 3 way? The cabs sure are pretty. They remind me of the under appreciated solid state guitar amps Yamaha was making at the time.

That is the second ad mentioning "saran net" tonight. How odd.

Last edited:
Yamaha licensed the technology from Bertagni Electroacoustic Systems (BES); the woofer was a molded styrofoam piece, driven by a conventional woofer magnet and voice coil that was attached to the Styrofoam.

They had several speakers in the line (including the first speaker called the NS-10). The speaker was in an open baffle configuration, so its bass was limited by the width of the cabinet.

I had a pair of the original NS-10's and liked them, but ultimately sold them due to space. They were moderately efficient, and had the amazing ability to disappear, even when you were right next to them. Like all bipolar speakers, they sounded best when moved away from the back and side walls.

Unfortunately, rough handling could cause the styrofoam to crack.

Those are very pretty cabinets.

I bought them ,,NS-30B I had a hard time deciding if they were worth what he was asking.... but I checked them when I got there...
all the drivers seemed ok... ( if one of the drivers are bad they are worth nothing..) I had to put new caps in both crossovers...
one of the caps just fell out when I opened the back...

OK here is what you wanted to know....and I paid 300 dollars to find out and you get to know for free..
I had never seen a bass speaker quite like those... I am still scratching my head..( but it seems to work just fine)

The upper bass and midrange is as good as a cone speaker can get !! its a big speaker 10-12 inches..?? .. and its a cast driver..
The hi end its a nice horn driver .... very open clear but not to bright...the bass.. I don't want to push them... so I maybe ran 20 w through them.. and the bass is good... pretty deep and clear... when I opened them up to about 20 watts they come alive... reminds me of voice of theater... but more balanced and a little more refined.. ohhh also everything inside looks new.... I do have picture if anyone wants I will post photos...

what got my attention in the first place is the specks... 103DB 1 watt..... also that's what got my attention first was the cabinets..
and they are really really nice !

Ok.. so this is the largest speaker I ever saw.. They sound much better than you might think....
Altec 19 sound?? .. no but almost.. They are very clear and open.. very well balanced..
They are very very efficient.. 103DB with 1 watt... and when I put about 20 watts through them its
AMAZING !!... I don't want to over power them,, and you know.. where in the world would I get a replacement driver.!!
I Had forgot to take photos of the other side of the ear speaker.. but I will upload that next week..
Stay Tuned !... anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area is welcome to come listen...

Wow, those are console big, like Jensen 1200XL speakers. although, I bet these sound MUCH better.

Thanks for adding the pics.

Are the backs and sides of the cabinets relatively open (as opposed to sealed); other Yamaha "ear" speakers were. If so, you might try moving these another foot or two into the room (since it looks like you have room to), to gain more deep bass and space around the music.

Are the backs and sides of the cabinets relatively open (as opposed to sealed); other Yamaha "ear" speakers were. If so, you might try moving these another foot or two into the room (since it looks like you have room to), to gain more deep bass and space around the music.
The first photo is of the back with the ear speaker... the sides are closed an so is the front...you can see the ear is open to the back side...
I will post more photos.... I moved them around a little bit but didn't see much difference in the bass.. but ... this speaker is to be out from the wall at least
5 inches... or more..... you can hear the NS20 s on youtube.... its the same drivers just standing upright.... they have 2 videos and the 2nd video I think is the best one that you hear how they really sound...

I moved them away from the wall about 3 more inches and it helped.... it sounds better...
How would you find out what they are worth? ..

Back
Top Bottom