Raspberry Pi: Most cost-effective solution?

ScienceGun

I'm still working on getting my stereo system up and running, but I'm already looking ahead on how to do digital integration. I'm kind of a Raspberry Pi fan. I already own two: one for playing retro games on my TV, and one running Pi Hole (a whole-home ad blocker). So my first thought was to pursue a pi-based solution. Here's what I came up with:

Raspberry Pi 3B+ running RuneAudio: $40
HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro: $45
Case: $12
1TB external Hard drive: $52

Total cost: $149

Do you think this is the most cost-effective solution? By "cost-effective" I don't mean "cheapest." Cheapest solution would be to plug my iPod directly into my receiver. What I'm looking for is "biggest bang for your buck."

Keep in mind that my PC is on one floor and my stereo on the other, so any wired setup between them would be somewhat inconvenient. Wifi is also a bit spotty downstairs. However, I have a run of Cat6 cable going directly from my router to my entertainment center that I could utilize.

What do you think is my best option?

For a garage system, I setup a wireless RPi 3B+ running Diet Pi with a cheap usb dac hooked to a Teac intergrated amp. In spite of grumblings from others about the wifi on the Pi (I think it shares the USB bus?) I've had great luck with no dropouts streaming Tidal and my ripped CD collection via Roon from my main system in the house. I think just the Pi cost me about $70 though, with case, microSD card, and power supply. I think your proposed setup would sound great and is "good bang for the buck."

I'll have to take a look at using a Pi for ad blocking - never knew such a thing could be done. Pretty cool.

If you running PcP (PicorePlayer) with stand alone (LMS) using your external hard drive, then you don't need the PC. With the build-in Rpi3B+ Wifi, you can control it via Android App Squeezer.
Highly recommend a 3.5 inch TFT LCD (with Touch). is the DAC+ Pro with build in Amp? If so, just added speakers then no need of Amp.
If Wifi signal strong enough, as bonus local (Digital) FM stations can be pickup.

I didn't think a Pi 3B+ could run Rune yet, at least it wouldn't when I tried. I do like my 3B+ running volumeio - fairly easy setup, and works with the SMSL M7 DAC I have, sounds wonderful. Some things like Spotify playlists I haven't figure out yet.

I’ve run HifiBerry before and prefer the Allo DigiOne in terms of sound quality.

And yes, you can definitely run Roon on an RPi platform.

I’ve run HifiBerry before and prefer the Allo DigiOne in terms of sound quality.

And yes, you can definitely run Roon on an RPi platform.

Indeed you can, you can create a Roon endpoint and a Roon Bridge with a RPI. I agree with you about the Allo hardware, I own both HifiBerry and Allo products and feel the Allo stuff is much better.

As far as distro's go, I myself prefer DietPi. I've tried them all like the simplicity and installation. But then again, I've been using Unix since the 80's and like the old school simplicity of the interface.

Well, compare what you're getting for that money with say, a Sonos Connect, at three times the price.

Yes, an RPi system is very cost-effective. And with your prior experience, it will be a breeze to set up.

It really is. I've contemplated Sonos and Roon but I keep coming back to my DietPi + SqueezeLite + Logitech Media Server system. To me it's a no-brainer: I've got AirPlay, Tidal & Spotify integration (and the ability to add most of the other services), streaming radio and access to all of my music.

The fact that it's cheap and it just works is a winning combo for me.

I've contemplated Sonos and Roon but...
Sonos is limited to 44/16 which was a deal killer for me. I have too much high resolution content to not play!

As for Roon, you can most certainly run them on an RPi platform. There's a fellow on another board who runs two of them via Roon.

pi-uptime-digione-2.jpg

Sonos actually will play 48/24 FLAC now, but that’s really of zero interest to anyone who actually understands digital audio. I moved from Squeezebox to Sonos ages ago, have never regretted it. FAR more flexible, stable, better UI, lifetime customer support, native support for all major streaming apps, Mesh network for superb network reliability, without impacting your WiFi, voice control, a wide range of products designed for neutral playback, and they’re opening up their API to third party development, with many companies onboard. No contest, has been well worth the price of entry. JMHO,

Sonos actually will play 48/24 FLAC now, but that’s really of zero interest to anyone who actually understands digital audio. I moved from Squeezebox to Sonos ages ago, have never regretted it. FAR more flexible, stable, better UI, lifetime customer support, native support for all major streaming apps, Mesh network for superb network reliability, without impacting your WiFi, voice control, a wide range of products designed for neutral playback, and they’re opening up their API to third party development, with many companies onboard. No contest, has been well worth the price of entry. JMHO,

All great points. I have a Sonos system (based on chicks raves) integrated into my LMS system and everything works well. I think my biggest issue with Sonos came down to sheer cost. I've got systems scattered all over my house, shop and patio and it became cost prohibitive to keep adding Sonos end points.

I'm thinking that when Roon adds Qobuz capabilities this fall I'll probably make the leap in that direction. I'm a Unix geek and these little Raspberry Pi's have been really fun to work with to build out a whole house system. Plus I'm a really, really cheap old bastard.

Sonos actually will play 48/24 FLAC now, but that’s really of zero interest to anyone who actually understands digital audio.
Still not good enough for those who know better. I tend to believe that the engineers at Sony Pictures Studios do know what they're doing. I'm really enjoying the John Williams 192/24 score from The Last Jedi.

Speculate however you will - makes no difference to me nor to them. :)

Last edited:
I'm running a Pi with the Allo DigiOne and Ropiee software as an endpoint for Roon. I've got several endpoints on the Roon system, including two Sonos Connects. The Pi/DigiOne/Ropiee combination works flawlessly and sounds terrific. The Pi is a terrific hardware platform for streaming music and there are a ton of software and hardware products out there to choose from with the Pi as the foundation.

Not a 3B+ (or at least with the standard install).
Who's "standard"? I know of about half a dozen different flavors of free players.

Diet-Pi on a 3B can most certainly run Roon. Look again at the pic in post #9. Yes, Abe is running two of them. :)

Little late to the party but another choice? You could try this combination... I run a pi w/ phatdac, libreelec as the os and Kodi as the media server software. Attached to it all is a western digital 1tb portable drive.

My solution is UP2Stream WiFi audio receiver module as pre- amp ,it support airplay,dlna,app fro android ,ios control, for my mac ,i can use airplay via itunes as well. it cost me $33 only :), my set up is up2stream + amp + AudioEngine speaker . btw, it got multiroom ,but i never tried that yet .

btw, missed it can play spotify,tidal,tune in things via apps or stream my 24bit,192khz collections .

Do you think this is the most cost-effective solution? By "cost-effective" I don't mean "cheapest." Cheapest solution would be to plug my iPod directly into my receiver. What I'm looking for is "biggest bang for your buck."

Yes! But then, I’ve never had others. I have a Pi in the living room, another in the basement, and a third in my office. The one thing I’d suggest is checking out Volumio. I switched from Roon.

Old thread but IMO the most cost effective device is not a RPi but a Pogoplug V4-A3-01 (the one with two USB ports on the back). It can be had for less than $20 on that auction site which includes the power supply and case. You can use ethernet or wifi to connect to your network (WiFi requires a dongle). Add a USB flash drive and a USB DAC and your in business. To my ears it sounds no different than a RPi. Both are running squeezelite and both have bit-perfect playback. If you have the right DAC both are capable of DSD512.

The only draw back is it is harder to configure than a RPi. Though I have made three of them without any problems. So if I can do it... It also runs Arch Linux and is completely headless unlike the Pi which can be configured with a desktop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom