RaspberryPi advice?

Mikefc

"Quality is our No. 1 Dream"
Subscriber
I'm caught between using the HiFi Berry Dac+ or the Digi+. Same as with IQ-Audio. I'm not convinced the DAC in my Pioneer Elite receiver is all that great and with all the other activity going on in the receiver perhaps it would be better to move the DAC out to the RPi? I believe I could also add a better power supply to the HAT board if I go this route. Anyone have experience doing either? Presently I'm using the HDMI out of the RPi to the HDMI ip of the Pioneer.

I have not used the DAC+ but I have the Digi+ and enjoy it quite a bit, both directly into a newer Marantz receiver and through a Schiit Modi Multibit. I think part of it depends on how much stuff and flexibility you want.

The DAC+ is nice because you can take it to anywhere that has a line level input (and depending on the OS you are using, if you have a portable battery charger, it can be completely portable).

The Digi+ is nice because you can try different DACs if you want. Of course, all of these HATs can be upgraded. I got my Digi+ from a member here who upgraded to the Allo digi board which is supposed to be a lot better, but also more expensive.

you layout a good case for each, which is what prompted my post. I think I'm leaning to a digi+ . I like the idea of trying different DACs. I'll probably go with the galvanic isolated COAX model

A note about the one with the galvanic isolated coax models:

https://www.hifiberry.com/products/digiplus/ said:
Note that the output transformer is shielded. To make sure the shielding works, your DAC needs to be grounded. If you’re unsure, we recommend the standard version.
The output transformer does not have any effect on the optical output. Therefore if you plan to use only the optical output, the standard version will do the job.

I began using the Digi+ and replaced it with a better sounding Allo DigiOne. I prefer using an outboard DAC, but it depends upon your objectives and budget. Allo also makes a DAC HAT as well.

As for power supply, I would definitely choose a linear or battery supply in lieu of the typical noisy switchers. I use a high capacity phone charger that gives me several days of use before needing a charge.

rpi1218.jpg

I began using the Digi+ and replaced it with a better sounding Allo DigiOne. I prefer using an outboard DAC, but it depends upon your objectives and budget. Allo also makes a DAC HAT as well.

As for power supply, I would definitely choose a linear or battery supply in lieu of the typical noisy switchers. I use a high capacity phone charger that gives me several days of use before needing a charge.

rpi1218.jpg
did you connect the p/s to the Pi or just the HAT board? I understand you can disconnect the HAT from the power below and run a second clean supply to just the digi+ ?

A note about the one with the galvanic isolated coax models:
yes, thanks. I was aware of this. All I have to do is check continuity from the digital coax input ground to the Pioneer receiver chassis. That should tell me. Although for this receiver I may just use optical. The difference in price for galvanic is negligible.

did you connect the p/s to the Pi or just the HAT board? I understand you can disconnect the HAT from the power below and run a second clean supply to just the digi+ ?
Single supply to RPi. Unless something has changed, I don't see where the Digi+ supports a separate power supply.

https://www.hifiberry.com/products/digiplus/

• Connects directly to the Raspberry Pi—no additional cables needed
  • Directly powered from the Raspberry Pi—no additional power supply

Back
Top Bottom