Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

Kinna getting use to these Sony ss-u3033 2 ways,
Still don't have the punch of the Fisher svt 750 2 ways that went to my brother but thats what ya get when ya downsize.
I'll live with it for now.

Lux Man- I lent out my m-117, running tubes (28-30w), they just sound anemic. now I am all tube crazy and I NEED MORE EFFICIENT.........

- 1978 Klipsch LaScalas. My first major speaker purchase, recently procured from a local vintage audio shop.
- JBL 4301Bs that my father-in-law rescued from a TV studio's dumpster! They thought newer was better, I guess.
- Polk Monitor 4.5s, cheap Goodwill score.

That's all of it! I used to have a pair of slightly cat-clawed Monitor 10Bs with the Peerless tweeters, but gave them to a friend in college who had no speakers. He was VERY happy to get them!

Last edited:
Celestion Dittion 442's and Boston A 150 series II share the top spot at my place. Polk Audio M5jr5's come in second. Boston A-40's are currently 4th (need more listening time with these)

B&W 802FSpecial main system
Tannoy DC200
Goodmans SL3 Magnum
Philips RH 568 Motional Feedback ( active )
Wharfedale Denton II
Celestion DL3
Richard Allen CG10

Top of my tree is my Polk Audio SDA 1A's, they sound incredible.
Next in front firing speakers is my Wharfdale diamond 3's
Top multi-directional speakers are my Sonab OA 14's
The SDA 1A's scare my with their voice coil excursion, any moment I am expecting them to pop completely out.

Boston Acoustics A100. Found them on Craigs List in November for $70. I heard good things about them so decided to give them a try. They were already professionally refoamed and the cabinets are in "like new" condition. Interesting thing is that the DCR measures around 4 ohms at the terminals which means they are about a 5 or 6 ohm speaker nominal impedance. Perhaps not the best choice for receivers/amps that are not rated for less than 8 ohms.

I am impressed with their sound. Bass is smooth and uncolored yet reaches surprisingly low. If you have a pair, try playing some deep bass on them. Mids and highs also lack coloration and fit smoothly with the bass. A definition of a mild mannered speaker.

"Mild mannered" may be what some people don't like about this type of speaker. It will never blow the roof off with its middling sensitivity or give that bass punch that some desire. It delivers its sound in an uncolored fashion.

One test I perform is to play some orchestral music that represents the audio spectrum well, close my eyes and listen and imagine myself at the live performance. Speakers with a neutral overall sound and good imaging will give you this feeling and the A100s do an amazing job at this.

I'm not one to butter up my material possessions with glowing reviews. It is just that, to me at least, I find little to fault with these speakers.

I have a few pairs that have all been thrift finds. From best to worst they are:

Optimus T120
Wharfedale Glendale XP2
Advent prodigy tower
Polk rt15i
Pioneer spbs22lr

I have others but for my use these are the best.

After I traded for the model 14's I stopped buying speakers.

Altec Lansing Model 14
JBL L96
JBL L80t3
Speakerlab 4
KEF Q90
Original Large Advent
Dahlquist M-903
JBL L88 Nova
EPI 100v
Boston Acoustic A60 Series II
Optimus One
Klipsch SF-3
Advent/3
Boston Acoustic HD5
Harman Kardon HK20
Minimus 7
Realistic MC 500

Boston Acoustics A100. Found them on Craigs List in November for $70. I heard good things about them so decided to give them a try. They were already professionally refoamed and the cabinets are in "like new" condition. Interesting thing is that the DCR measures around 4 ohms at the terminals which means they are about a 5 or 6 ohm speaker nominal impedance. Perhaps not the best choice for receivers/amps that are not rated for less than 8 ohms.

I am impressed with their sound. Bass is smooth and uncolored yet reaches surprisingly low. If you have a pair, try playing some deep bass on them. Mids and highs also lack coloration and fit smoothly with the bass. A definition of a mild mannered speaker.

"Mild mannered" may be what some people don't like about this type of speaker. It will never blow the roof off with its middling sensitivity or give that bass punch that some desire. It delivers its sound in an uncolored fashion.

One test I perform is to play some orchestral music that represents the audio spectrum well, close my eyes and listen and imagine myself at the live performance. Speakers with a neutral overall sound and good imaging will give you this feeling and the A100s do an amazing job at this.

I'm not one to butter up my material possessions with glowing reviews. It is just that, to me at least, I find little to fault with these speakers.

They are very nice and true the Bostons can be kind of laid back, or a lot. But its really dependent on what your driving them with. With some more forward sounding amps they have more push of MF and HF sparkle. For example I powered mine with Denon for a while and found them much too polite. In contrast my roksan kandy amp livens them up but not to the point where they become fatiguing, they meet a nice balance. I thought the bass used to sound great, the roksan brought that up to a whole new level too. They are speakers I will probably always hang on to a joy to listen to.

I've been rolling speakers down here to try and see if some of these nice speakers I have here are worthy enough to replace my giant Altec A7/MR994s. Some just lose out based on size, but my #2 still surprises me.

Altec A7/MR994
Ohm Walsh Model 1, yep the entry level one...
ADS L810s
Dynaco A25s
Bozak B302As w/ Tobin Mods
EPI 500s
EPI 100

Of all of these, the only ones I could enjoyably listen too for days w/o longing for the A7s, are the Ohms. the others are all fine speakers with plenty of supporters. myself included, but the Altecs have spoiled me.

I also have a set of Ohm Hs out in the garage and some ADS L300s in the bedroom, both which appear to be keepers, especially, the L300s. For literally being about 1/100th the size of the A7s, there's no way I enjoy listening to them in that same ratio. With their small size and great sound, they quite possibly will be with me til the end.

I've been rolling speakers down here to try and see if some of these nice speakers I have here are worthy enough to replace my giant Altec A7/MR994s. Some just lose out based on size, but my #2 still surprises me.

Altec A7/MR994
Ohm Walsh Model 1, yep the entry level one...

ADS L810s
Dynaco A25s
Bozak B302As w/ Tobin Mods
EPI 500s
EPI 100

Of all of these, the only ones I could enjoyably listen too for days w/o longing for the A7s, are the Ohms. the others are all fine speakers with plenty of supporters. myself included, but the Altecs have spoiled me.

I also have a set of Ohm Hs out in the garage and some ADS L300s in the bedroom, both which appear to be keepers, especially, the L300s. For literally being about 1/100th the size of the A7s, there's no way I enjoy listening to them in that same ratio. With their small size and great sound, they quite possibly will be with me til the end.

More efficient than the old Ohm F, but REALLY inefficient compared to the Altec, eh?

My short list:

1. Klipschorn DIY (billiards room)
2. Bose 901 VI (game room)
3. Bose 901 Vi Concerto (bedroom)
4. Aiwa all-in-one (spare bedroom)

Back
Top Bottom