Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

My primaries:

1. JBL 4311wx (man cave)
2. JBL L96 (garage being refurbed - probably soon to be 1, not sure)
3. Klipsch RB75's (Theater setup - really nice, especially the tweeter)
4. Klipsch Synergy 3.1 (Okay, but very entry level - man cave)

1- Open Baffle Lowther DX3 over double Alpha's are the best so far
2- Open Baffle Beta12LTA over Alpha H-frames
3- Open Baffle Tang Band W8-1808 over Alpha H-frames
4- Frugal Horn Mk3 with augmented bass

The above are DIY and outperform the commercial speakers listed below that I've owned

5- Zu Omen tied with Tekton 4.5 and Tekton OB4.5
6- Aerial Acoustic Model 5
7- JBL Lancers
8- Big Advent
9- ADS L710
10- Athena F2

Dahlquist DQ-10 / DQ-1W
Bang and Olufsen M70
NHT SuperTwo
Allison AL 110
NHT SuperOne (Used as rear channels, but good enough for mains)
Allied Console with Knights and horns
Infinity ? bookshelf

Linn Sara 9
ADC 303AX
Optimus 5B
Sansui SP-1200
EPI M180
Wharfedale CRS-3

WAIT!
Linn Sara 9
Sansui SP-1200
ADC 303AX
Wharfedale CRS-3
EPI M180
Optimus 5B

WAIT!!!
Linn Sara 9
EPI M180
Sansui SP-1200
Wharfedale CRS-3
Optimus 5B
ADC 303AX

WAIT!!!!!!!
Linn Sara 9
Wharfedale CRS-3
Optimus 5B
Sansui SP-1200
EPI M180
ADC 303AX

WAIT!!!!!!!!!
....you get the idea.

These are speakers currently in use:

Boston Acoustic T-830's (Rebuilt, recapped, and literally bolted to the wall in the living room. They are so good both me and my wife agreed it was OK to build them in permanently :) ).
Infinity RS-3000's (Hot rodded by me - written up in the Infinity forum)
Boston A-60's (w/ Peerless woofers :) )
Infinity RS-5000's (need rebuild & hot rodding :D )
EPI 100's (Rebuilt)
EPI 50's (Also hot rodded by me. They are really to small to compete against the above...).
Infinity RS-1000's (Awaiting rebuild)
Minimus 7's (In service as rears in the HT system)
NHT Zeros (In the Kitchen as Zone 3 speakers)

The A/D/S are gone on loan, but fondly remembered. Ditto, the JBL's If they were present, the order would change somewhat...

1 Legacy Audio Focus
2 Sonus Faber Venere 1.5

Now to "Rate" these individually 1-10 in the big scheme of things...
The Legacy Focus as a unrestricted full range "Audiophile grade" speaker I would say it's a 7.5 or 8.
The Sonus Faber as a budget "Audiophile grade" stand mount restricted low frequency speaker I'd say it's a 8.5 to 9.

Can't believe I never posted in this thread, but here's my list in use as of now, in preferential order.

Maggie 1.6 QR mated with a JL audio Fathom F 112 and M&K MX 125 subwoofers All the rest of the following speakers at one time I thought better then the maggies, but they (maggies) always end up in my main system instead of the following

Infinity Renassaince 90
; They are my bedroom speakers, and likely will never be supplanted. such sweet, sweet sounds from these! (except the pops and crackles from netflix Grrrr)

Infinity Crescendo 3009
, (2 pairs) these are simply glorious rock and roll, and jaz speakers.

Infinity Kappa 8.1's (I've only recently aquired these, and the bass on the crescendos is superior, but the midrange on the kappas is bloody amazing. They remind me of my Kappa 6.1's which had a glorious balanced sound that's hard to explain. They also remind me of the great Kappa 9's but aren't nearly as hard an amplifier load.

Infinity Crescendo 3007. friggen awesome medium speakers, only giving up a bit of midrange to the kappas, and bass extension and max volume to the 3009s.

Infinity RS 4
these sound very much like the 3007s, and are very similar, with a full EMIT tweeter, awesome polydome midrange, and a pair of clear poly woofers

JM labs focal Cobalt 816s. these are stunning speakers, the highs are, in their way superior to even the EMIT tweeter if only it weren't for their fatiguing aspect on my ears

M&K S 100 (simply stunning monitors for my computer, mated with M&K kx 105 subwoofer) I can see why the new Ken Kreisel model (same 3 tweeter drivers same 2 woofers per speaker in what appears to be the same box) cost 4k

M&K S 85 monitors, also mated with the aforementioned M&K KX 105 subwoofer. also amazing speakers, but don't play as loudly or as cleanly as the S100s

I also have a pair of NHT super one point ones mated with an M&K v 125 subwoofer for casual or background music listening. This M&K sub is vastly inferior to either of the other M&K subs, I suspect it's one of the ones made after Ken sold the company the super one point ones are still bloody amazing speakers, and in their day punched far above their weight.

I'm excluding the various pairs of outdoor speakers I have scattered throughout the front and back yard, and the Cantons that do Garage duty from this ranking.
My KEF LS-50s are also excluded, as I just don't have a room or need for them, (no point wasting them as 'background' speakers) so they're currently boxed.

Last edited:
Magnepan mg20.1
Krell resolution 3
Klipsch RF-7
Bang & Olufsen beo lab 9000
Fostex fe206 in Dallas 2 enclosures
B & W cdm 1nt

referbished mission 770 mk2 with morel tweeters.
kef Q35 not used for a long time.
dynatron 1428 on tv

Ohm Walsh 2XO- favorite all around
Ohm 4 - favorite with my high watt gear
Klipsch Forte - favorite with the low watt gear
Kef LS50
Ohm C2 ( just got last week i think this is about right but could change after i have them a while)
Kef Q100 - HT mains
Klipsch RB 62ii Bedroom
Axiom M22 v3
Axiom M3 v3
Definitive Technology SM45
20160131_145142.jpg

EMI DLS 529X
Dunlavy Athena
Tannoy Cheviot 315 HPD
Acoustic Research AR-3A
Vandersteen 2ci
Vandersteen 2c
North Creek Audio Essence

This is actually really hard... I am fortunate that I like pretty much all my speakers

I'll try it in descending order, also grouped into first and second tier because it's really hard to make choices between the ones I like, and exact order is subject to change on any given day or even depending on what I'm listening to...

Rectilinear III Lowboy
Genesis G110/Genesis 1+/EPI 100/Outlaw LFM-1 (HT setup)
Wharfedale W70D, bastardized with Morel tweeters
KLH Twenty-Three
Energy Pro 3.5

(all of the above I could be happy with)

next tier:

KLH 24
Advent /3
(mostly because these ones are small, and I like bass)

Haven't spent enough time with to evaluate:

Infinity RS-5b

#1- ADS L810 - Best sounding, lots of bass, present mids and nice sweet highs. Easy to power.
#2a - Polk Monitor 10b - Great rock speaker. Good bass.
#2b - Boston Acoustics A150 - Surprisingly good bass for narrow cabinet. More refined sounding than Polks, I like them with acoustic/folk.
#3 - Epicure M100 - Good bass for size. Lack of mids. Nice highs.

They all match really well with my Yamaha CR 1020.

#1 Nestorovic 5AS's (Sound room, truly awesome, everything you could wish for in a speaker)
#2 Speakerlab S40's (Rec room, a little less refined but still a great speaker)
#3 Bose 602's (Garage, they work)

1. Rogersound Labs - CG-8^2 (rebuilt XO)
2. Rogersound Labs - 6600 (early version w/o Altec Lansing horn)

I actually took time to read all of the posts here. While there are lots of speakers that I have never heard of, a few brands seem to be most popular - JBL, ADS and maybe Klipsch. These are the once that jumped out at me as most noted (different models, of course). I wonder what that says about other threads that rave about names like AR etc?

To stay on topic here is my list:

Synergistics S-62a
Jenses system 500
Mirage M360
Optimus 5B,

Dahlquist DQ-10 / DQ-1W
Bang and Olufsen M70
NHT SuperTwo
Allison AL 110
Infinity ? bookshelf

Update - I gifted the Infinities to my Grandson.

Dahlquist DQ-10 / DQ-1W
Bang and Olufsen M70
NHT SuperTwo
Allison AL 110
Madisound Kanspea

Since we're reviving this one. I'm curious about peoples tendencies towards multiple systems in separate rooms vs multiple speakers in the same room. So give number of sets of speakers/number of systems/number of rooms. HT speakers in the same system count as one set.

6 sets/6 systems/6 rooms (2 residences)

Back
Top Bottom