Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

In order of preference
1. ADS L810
2. Cambridge Soundworks Model Six
2. HPM 60 (modified)
3. Monitor Audio Series 1 B1

I flip the switch between the HPMs and the Model Six depending if I am listening for hours, or just a couple of songs & depending on the recording also....

My system presently has Paradigm 7se as mains (an unexpected thrift find) and Canadian-made Tannoy C-6 above my kitchen cabinets. Outside are Advent all-weather Calypso's. I am very pleased with the Paradigm sound, and have been through Titans and 9 v2's. The 7se's replaced Genesis 1+ and moved aside Rega-Camber 2.5's, the latter to be hooked up shortly as a third pair in the great-room/kitchen. Also, Tannoy PBM-8's were in the 7se slot for a bit as well. The spot the Tannoy C-6 are in has seen Cerwin-Vega SA-140, small StudioLabs, Energy Take 5.1, Koss M65 and M80, and many others, but the C-6 are staying. There is a pair of RTR EXP-8 speakers that are always lurking, looking for their chance to perform. These are going nowhere. I have some ESM 1's that are going to move. In the garage are a pair of EPI M100 with Sound Dynamics spun-aluminum tweeters 'til I find another masonite tweeter at a reasonable price. They are paired with the PBM-8's at this point. I have moved along Camber 2.5, Klipsch Heresey 1, Cerwin-Vega D2, Dalquist GX-8 and many other speakers. In order to stay, a speaker must provide me with excellent low volume performance but rise to the occasion when pushed. (I have also had Advents (The New Large, 1,2,3, Baby II) and enjoyed them immensely.) I am not done yet. Need to try some JBL's, Altecs and Celestions, just to name a few. Speaker appreciation is fluid; there are so many to try and enjoy.
So, a little over a year later and everything has changed. The 7SEs have moved on, as well as both sets of Tannoys and the Rega-Cambers. The RTRs are still here and still going nowhere, and the EPI M100s are going to receive the masonite tweeter I acquired.

The present line-up:
Altec-Lansing Altec Model 1: amazing detail and clear sound. I can't seem to move these out of the system for very long. Keepers. May have found MY perfect speaker.
Mirage 250: smaller bookshelfs that reside above the kitchen cabinets. Perfect in that spot and beautiful sound. Also keepers.
Avid 60: in the master bedroom and wired back to the main unit. Small towers with a 6x9 woofer. Nice sound and good where they are. Makes me want to try more of the Avid line.
Hamblen: a smaller bookshelf speaker made in Cambridge, Ontario. These are really impressive rear-ported speakers, and almost unknown. Just acquired and they will become the rear set-up in the kitchen/great-room.
RTR EXP-8: Yeah, I've had these for a while now and am still impressed with their sound and the beautiful blond walnut cabinetry.

In the garage:
Jensen Model 50: surprisingly good sound from these early 70's speakers. Still have their screw terminals!
SOMA: a speaker manufacturer from Toronto in the 70s-80s. Nice all-around sound.
Avanti V-1203: made in the Hamilton, Ontario area. I re-foamed the 12" woofers (inverted foam roll). Excellent all-around sound and great bass from these larger bookshelf speakers with a smallish rear port. And CTS phenolic tweeters.
Realistic NOVA-500: re-foamed and looking for a home.

Waiting in the wings are a pair of PSB Passif 1 speakers that need re-foam on woofers and passive radiators.

I acquired the Altec Model 1 set in Vancouver, BC last year. At the same time I bought a pair of Celestion Ditton 25 speakers there in near perfect condition. Auditions back here in Ontario found the Dittons on the way to a new home and the Altecs staying for good. Go figure.

For sound preference.

Pioneer CS99a
Rectilinear 111
Electro-Voice Empire (horns have been damped down, a touch)
Dynaco A40XL
Crown C8
Knight 1280 (ElectroVoice LS12a cone whizzer 12 inch full range driver)
Wharfedale W70D (purple tweeters replaced with good soft dome)
Kenwood KL777a
KLH 5
Advent OLA
Realistic Optimus 5B
Realistic Nova 8
Criterion 5XB
Fisher XP7B (good speaker, needs better tweeter)
Realistic MachOne
Bozak A301 Tempo (factory tweeter, short on treble)
Bozak302a (factory tweeters, short on treble)
AR3a
Fisher XP10 (still has factory soft dome tweeter, gone stiff)
KLH 17
AuraTone

Pretty much what you would expect.

Last edited:
1. KEF LS50’s (main system)
2. AR L36 Decades (TV room)
3. Advent 5002 (not assigned)

To be fair the Advents don’t have original tweeters, so if that was fixed, then I might like them more, but they’ll never kick out the KEF’s and I built the AR’s from scratch, so they are very dear to me.

I don't have much of a collection but here is how I rate mine.
Advent prodigy
AR4x (would probably be my #1 but need to recap)
Bose 301 II
Realistic Mach II
Optimus 10's

In no particular order:

Large Advents
Bose 901 IV
SVS Prime Bookshelf.

1OB8vcj.jpg

1. OHM model i
2. OHM model C2 and H are Tied for Second
3. CerwinVega PD6 & 300SE & PD9 all Tied for Third...
4. CerwinVega 380SE just Kitty-Hair behind 3
5. CerwinVega D9
6. Acoustiflex model 12
7. Mach1

1. Cerwin Vega VS120
2. EPI 100
3. Polk Tsi 100
4. Marin Login Motion 2i
5. Bose Soundwave (Dammit if that little thing doesn't sound good).

Wow - I'd love to hear a pair of the 1000's one day.
They are really something wish you could also , when they are on they definitely own the entire house with music, from the basement floor to the attic you feel it in your body. Even without seeing them , if they are playing with 700 wpc of real reserve power, you know Its something youve never heard or felt b4. Honestly is just spooky. Reactions can be hilarious.

They are really something wish you could also , when they are on they definitely own the entire house with music, from the basement floor to the attic you feel it in your body. Even without seeing them , if they are playing with 700 wpc of real reserve power, you know Its something youve never heard or felt b4. Honestly is just spooky. Reactions can be hilarious.

Nice!

ADS L710
Bohlender Graebener z1
Kef Q90
Kef Q10
EPI 100v
Polk SDA-2B
Polk RT7
Sony APM 690
B&W rock solid 5.1

The Lowther flat baffle OB's on the left and the Zenith H-frame OB's on the right are my best sounding speakers. The Lowthers are wonderfully detailed but the Zenith's sweet tone bring tears to my eyes.

P1010015 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom