Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

Most enjoyed sound quality this moment:
1)Sony AMP-66ES
2)KOSS CM1020 (crossovers need refresh)
3)W.E.B. VIP12's (mismatched drivers)
4)Paradigm 3se mkII (too bass-heavy)
4)PSB 50r's (1st refoam way too stiff, lost a ton of low end, new foam on the way, used to be #2)
5)Yamaha NS-15 earspeakers (one woofer needs coil repaired. )

after writing this I clearly needto concentrate on refreshing what I have vs acquiring more

Wharfedale Delta 30, departed
Tannoy Mercury M2, departed
Mission 771e, retired
Castle Richmond 3i, retired
Quad S-2, a very recent upgrade on the Castles, a fantastic speaker.

I've always been curious about those. How does the one which works sound? Is it worth tracking them down or are they a gimmick?
I haven't played with the working one a great deal but I'd register them under 'Gimmicky'. I have no qualms about their build quality though; a lot of effort went into the parts so they must have believed they served a purpose. I'll experiment in different rooms and take some good photos and start a separate thread for information. I came into them for ~$40CAD so no regrets there. Will likely get the partner fixed up for posterity's sake.

I haven't played with the working one a great deal but I'd register them under 'Gimmicky'. I have no qualms about their build quality though; a lot of effort went into the parts so they must have believed they served a purpose. I'll experiment in different rooms and take some good photos and start a separate thread for information. I came into them for ~$40CAD so no regrets there. Will likely get the partner fixed up for posterity's sake.

That's cool. What part of Canada are you from?

I thought it would be fun to rate the speakers that you curently own, first being your favorite and last being your least favorite.
Here's my List:

AR-3a
ADS L810
Frazier Mark IV
AR-2a
Klipsch KG4 (Can't really get them placed right where there is any bass at all.)

Cool thread, KG4s at the bottom of the list! I have a soft spot for the 2's and 4's. The 2s are probably my all time fav Klipsch. Not a horn fan so I tend to stay as far away from Klipsch as I can. The KG2's on the other hand are something special.

Ok my list:

JBL Decade 16's
Pioneer S-X4G
JBL L26 Decade
JBL 4301B
JBL L-19A
Snell Type E IV
QLN Model 1's
B&W DM12's

As you can tell most of my speakers are 8" 2 way. I have a small listening space, and the combo tends to work perfect for my set up.

Others I've sold off but thought were good sounding.

B&W DM 640i
JBL L 150
JBL L 110 & 110A
JBL L 166
Snell Type K III

My 1st list was years of testing out new speakers and keeping what I liked. I would not say one is better than the other, just different (in a good way)

I have really been enjoying the Decade 16's, quite impressed with them.

Kind Regards,
John

Easy:

1.) B&W 683.

2.) Realistic Minimus 7

I ran a set of 685's for a number of years, posted them to BT last year, things sold a lot faster than expected.

The DM640's were probably one of the best B&W set I've owned, the mid range from that Kevlar driver was just fantastic. I do have a set of the DM12's not in use right now, may just pull them out today to give them a go. :)

the minimus 7's :) I think we all love them LOL

Dynaudio Excite 16
Zu Omen
Frazier Vll
Koss CM 1030
Paradigm Studio 20 V2
Ar 2ax
DLK 3
Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary
Mark audio Pensile

Harbeth C7, I found out that there are speakers you can listen to without fatigue
ATC 7 and11
Yamaha NS1000M
Focal 906
Kef LS50
Wharfdale 80th
EPOS Epic 2
FOCAL 906

I think I need a pair of floorstanders in there somewhere.

1. Polk 1.2tl's
2. ADS 1530's
3. Klipschorns
No surprises here; the Polks have the other 2 by a wide margin while the ADS's slightly edge out the khorns.

Dynaudio Excite 16
Zu Omen
Frazier Vll
Koss CM 1030
Paradigm Studio 20 V2
Ar 2ax
DLK 3
Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary
Mark audio Pensile

I'm looking at bookshelves. How does the Denton stack up against the others? In areas of tone/vocals, soundstage, separation etc.

JBL 4435
Magnepan 1.4
JBL 4312A
Other, lesser contenders
Custom Altec 19 / Great Plains Audio, which, if it were possible, may in fact topple the noble 4435 from its top spot after completion. We'll see...

Currently my Jamo C-109 towers are by far the best sounding speakers I own, or have ever owned. I'm hoping to give them a run for their money when a pair of Dayton PS22-8's arrive on Thursday. I've heard good things about them. While I understand fit and finish are worth a good deal of money, I might actually be a little testy if the Daytons sound as good or better. The price difference is pretty big.

My group - no particular order.....I don't think anyway. Too room, music, mood dependent to narrow it down any more.

Solid State big power:
ADS L1590
Apogee Slant 6

Tube power:
Altec Santiago
Custom cabinet build (similar to a 620 design with 12" 3-way drivers)
Zu Omen Dirty Weekends (or SS)

Just outside looking in and may just need that recap to move up:
KEF 104/2
Allison Ones

Cornscala's
Klipsch LaScala Industrial Splits
Klipsch LaScala Cane grills CT-125 tweets &A 4500 XO's Crites
Klipschorns Birch Raw w/ Dean G's Super AA XO's

Back
Top Bottom