RCA 12AU7 Clear Tops Anyone?

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to know your thoughts and comments about the following pre-amp tube. Not sure how many of you have used or have experienced the sound of the RCA 12AU7 clear tops? I've been reading on several sites and about the "magic" that comes out of these puppies, but not sure if its hype. So have you used these? if so what are your comments or thoughts? One thing i have noticed is that they are a little more $$ than non clear tops.

I guess the best way to find out if they sound good is put them in and listen.

Any input or comments is much appreciated.

thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 213
Not familiar with those tubes,,,, if you have them, try them... It only matters if you can tell the difference... There have been few that sound much different to me, so I can save money, and buy cheap tubes!!!

Regards,
John

Yeah, it mostly depends on your ears and your circuit, but the RCA cleartop is a very nice tube. I have found them to be very well balanced, detailed, and musical in everything I've used them in. Are there better 12AU7s out there? Probably, I use a black plate RCA command in my favorite amp, but a cleartop would make me very happy too. If you look hard, you can find cleartop 12AX7s too, which guitar players swear by.

I have piles of them from a Conn organ and I have to say they sound pretty good in almost anything I try them, but my favourite (Amperex) always seem to sound better. That's in amps, preamps, and tuners. I also find the Amperex sound better then Mullards and Tfk in some of the circuits. Thats my $0.02 and I'm sticking to it, however you will never know until you try them so take the plunge and try them. Like Jaymanaa said ... it depends on the circuit. They're popular so are easy to sell ... but for some reason once they come into the house they never seem to leave. :yes:

I've got one as the preamp tube in the preamp position in my Rogue Cronus. In that amp, I like it better than the Mullard, Amperex BB, RFT, and the RCA blackplate tubes that I tried. The sound to me is as Jay states above.

Oh, and they do add a little tiny bit of extra glow by the top of the fils being exposed. I know a lot of people dig glow, myself included.:yes:

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious to know your thoughts and comments about the following pre-amp tube. Not sure how many of you have used or have experienced the sound of the RCA 12AU7 clear tops? I've been reading on several sites and about the "magic" that comes out of these puppies, but not sure if its hype. So have you used these? if so what are your comments or thoughts? One thing i have noticed is that they are a little more $$ than non clear tops.

I guess the best way to find out if they sound good is put them in and listen.

Any input or comments is much appreciated.

thanks!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've got several of these pups, used them in a couple of line stages, great imaging and soundstage, top to bottom smooth. I have them biased for about 15dB gain, direct coupled to a cathode follower. Dc heaters and regulated B+. Go for it!!

In a world of boutique tubery, the RCA's shine. Whether top or side getter, I've yet to be disappointed in an RCA tube. Are there better?? Oh yeah, and for a lot more money. My pre is exclusively RCA tubed and will likely stay that way for the time being.

I have 15+ specimens of this type. They are transparent and neutral and have great performance as measured by my ears. I think that they work great at amplifying voltage in a linear fashion. Love em. Now for the bad. I may be showing my ignorance here but it seems to me that every 12AU7A clear top ever made is micro phonic. Tapping the tube lightly will cause the speaker to make sound. Other 12AU7A tubes do not exhibit this "feature", at least not 100% of the sample. That said, the clear tops in my line stage will be staying there for the foreseeable future. Roll them tubes!

I've used them in a preamp and a few amplifiers. They sound very balanced to my ears. I've read where some think the top end is bright sounding. This hasn't been the case for me. It could have just been the circuit they were used in I guess. The clear tops are my favorite 12au7 so far.

Good sounding tube, with overall nice balance top to bottom. Not the nth degree of detail though.

They're what I use and they sound good to me, but there seem to be a number of people claiming that the 12au7 is simply a poor tube period. Not my experience.

they get my nod! up there in the top 3-4 12au7 tubes in my opinion...the top dog being the 12au7 sooty black plate RCA with the big bent rectangle getters!

Yep, like TomR, I have piles of them. Really nice sounding tube. good top end extension but not bright.

if you find em with the organ company names on them, they were pre-screened for sonic qualities.

but the RCA black plates are also very nice.

for the 12AU7 quite a few choices out there. GE 5814 triple micas are also nice, have a great midrange.

for new tubes, would look at the PSVANE T-II, they are quite musical.

Back
Top Bottom