RCA cables with black and grey plugs: Right or Left?

rulerboyz

AK Member
Before Red and White became the typical standard, turntables often had black and grey RCA plugs, or black and white. I am trying to figure out which is which, in the case of my technics turntable with black and grey plugs. I'm assuming Grey is right. Is this correct?

Thanks. This is what I was betting it was when I noticed a louder groud hum when I removed just the grey RCA plug. Also means that I have been listening to it wrong for some time now.

I do have some superballs that I drilled holes into a while back for the bottom of my turntable. I never tried them out, I think I will try them today.

And the thread itself is TWELVE YEARS OLD!

I can barely remember what I was doing twelve years ago.

Except I think I had more money and the hair on my head was thicker.

Ah jeez,

I've got an old realistic lab 24A, that I'm trying to hook up to a newer receiver. Black and grey rca plugs. But then the other comment about Dual turntables confused me again. Weren't the realistic turntables made by Dual? So is the right black? Or grey? If it's an unknown, how can I find out?

Moved to General Audio Discussion,
since IC wire colours is NOT "The Cutting Edge!"

Ah jeez,

I've got an old realistic lab 24A, that I'm trying to hook up to a newer receiver. Black and grey rca plugs. But then the other comment about Dual turntables confused me again. Weren't the realistic turntables made by Dual? So is the right black? Or grey? If it's an unknown, how can I find out?

My rule of thumb is that black is always left or negative. There are doubtless exceptions.

To test, play a sample which you also have in another format.

Just got my Late Uncles Radio Shack Realistic Lab 50 turntable. it is a BSR produced unit from 1977. did some maintenance - belt replacement and lubricated mechanisms & small bearings with clock oil. Interestingly, for Audio, the chassis inside the case has a pair of RCA jacks instead of cords being soldered to circuit board. The turntable cabling is the common double ended 48" RCA cordset. comes with ends in gray and black. In the instruction manual, they state: "A twin phono shielded cable is provided with your unit for insertion into the phono input of your amplifier. For monophonic operation use the black plug." and there is a small illustration showing the paired cables that notes: Black Right and Grey Left. hope this helps.

Couldn't one just look in the manual?
exactly what i did. after connecting it up in reverse to the recommendation. of course, lots of 40+year old gear may not come to its current owners with the original manual. and pre internet produced gear, may not have ever seen its manual scanned in anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom