RCA Mechanism Speakers

kitsch

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone could shine a little light on these RCA Mechanism speakers. Haven't been able to dig up anything on them.

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 72
My first impression was of a midrange. Then it occurred to me, it could very well be out of a drive-in theater speaker--the kind we used to hang in the door window. RCA made those. I'm not sure this is what it is--just a hunch. It bothers me that it looks a little too deep for to fit in the housing; and it seems like it ought to have some openings in the rear for sound pressure. My 2 cents!

Those look like the phenolic cones RCA was noted for.

You should go to the forum at the Lansing Heritage site and look up a fella named Steve Schell. He knows a LOT about RCA speakers.

Way to big and heavy to be drive-in speakers. Roughly 4 inches deep x 6 inches wide and weigh in at a hefty 13lbs each.

Bill

Can you determine what the frames are made of?

They're possibly MI-2934, brass frame, phenolic cone, 5-1/4 inch.

There used to be some RCA catalog pages online, but i cannot locate them.

http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1001&d=1217504536

http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1003&d=1217504557

The following text has been pasted from another site:

Attention all single ended Class A tubo-philes. These RCA midrange speakers are extremely efficient and have a surprisingly smooth frequency response (see photos of 1/24th octave RTA tests). Massive magnets. The pair weigh 11KG! One piece phenolic cone/dust cover (will last forever). 1.5inch voice coil. Excellent build quality. Steel/Brass/Stainless.
Not sure if these were ever used. In excellent audio condition. I got these from National Radio New Zealand. They appear to have been sitting on shelves for many years. They probably would have been used for control room monitoring and/or paging, if they were ever used at all. I use an excellent microphone (40Hz-20kHz +0/-.25db…-1db at 20Hz) in my rather crude 1/24th octave RTA test set up. They appear to have a slight resonance at about 4kHz (transfer to dust cover). I would use as a midrange in a high efficiency 3-way speaker system. Set the crossover points at about 350Hz and 3500Hz (or 2000Hz if your tweeter can handle). Tonality and efficiency would match very nicely to an EV T35/350 tweeter which also have phenolic diaphragms. You might make the spouse happy without large horn flares in the living room. Then again custom horn loading would provide great results as well.

http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1001&d=1217504536

http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1003&d=1217504557

The following text has been pasted from another site:

Attention all single ended Class A tubo-philes. These RCA midrange speakers are extremely efficient and have a surprisingly smooth frequency response (see photos of 1/24th octave RTA tests). Massive magnets. The pair weigh 11KG! One piece phenolic cone/dust cover (will last forever). 1.5inch voice coil. Excellent build quality. Steel/Brass/Stainless.
Not sure if these were ever used. In excellent audio condition. I got these from National Radio New Zealand. They appear to have been sitting on shelves for many years. They probably would have been used for control room monitoring and/or paging, if they were ever used at all. I use an excellent microphone (40Hz-20kHz +0/-.25db…-1db at 20Hz) in my rather crude 1/24th octave RTA test set up. They appear to have a slight resonance at about 4kHz (transfer to dust cover). I would use as a midrange in a high efficiency 3-way speaker system. Set the crossover points at about 350Hz and 3500Hz (or 2000Hz if your tweeter can handle). Tonality and efficiency would match very nicely to an EV T35/350 tweeter which also have phenolic diaphragms. You might make the spouse happy without large horn flares in the living room. Then again custom horn loading would provide great results as well.

Dear Eurasian,

I know it's been 7 years sinds you posted this message, but any chance I can get copies of those files?
the links don't work anymore, thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom